Another Build? But with a twist!

Cheers Nicolas!

Working through more fiberglass today…almost to the point where I can sand out the back and add a lot more fiberglass chop. Been mainly working to get the clam cracks and holes sealed up and aligned right. But…photos is what everyone is here to see…oh and I am sponsored now!! Jk, all my own :slightly_smiling_face:

I did more glassing tonight and will get more pics tomorrow. From the images I just posted, I went and sanded most of it down to take care of some imperfections. I will be the first to admit, I am not a body guy…so, we will see if I either end up wasting time, or saving money.

Oh and on my birthday, a door from, well your country, arrived at my house. Will start to change over the bits from the broken door soon-ish.

2 Likes

Before spending more time and money to rebuild what is broken, I needed to drive and make sure all is well. But wait, no body, lights (well driver lights helped a lot!), tag, etc…how the f’ are you going to do that…as much as I dislike living in a gated community, this time it proved to be the best thing. The car is so loud and lots of wind blowing ever where, but all is perfectly fine! Time to march on and get her back on the road!

5 Likes

What a day and what some progress! I made a mold, cut up the mold, made another and I think it will work. I need to do some trimming, but that’s ok.

Bodywork is a true art. I am not good at art, so…let’s hope the body guy can take what I have done and make it look…better. I will try to sand it down and get it better. Anyways, we all want the pics, so here we go!!

3 Likes

Captains log, I have…well didn’t do much on the clam today. Started to look at what all I need to order and while looking at the cam belt, came across an interesting gift. Now, if I can figure out wtf head this is…

So, I put on some resin and filler…mixed as per the usual and…weather got cooler and did not kick, even tried to add heat and brush on catalyst. What a f’n mess to sand it out. I went through 30 sanding pads and had to stop because I ran out of pads.

I hope tomorrow is better! I have one more “hole” to fix and then give call it done!! Besides adding more glass to the inside to make sure all the areas are strong enough.

Not much for updates recently. Just minor work on fiberglass. I have ordered a few things to help with repair and maintenance. I do not want to get pulled into the “while you are in there” syndrome lol.

Going to try to finish up the rear clam tomorrow when more resin arrives and maybe today if I can change all the inner door items over to mount the driver door.

1 Like

Flocking, flock, flocked…

I removed window channels in the doors and the runners are perished. And that is being nice.

Does anyone know where I can find like ones at? I sent an email to a company asking, but…unsure if they will work.

@seriouslylotus have some of these I think?

Thanks @andybond for reaching out!

Just so there isn’t any confusion, looking for 26, 26.

I have submitted some quotes to sjsportscars.com to see if they have the inner waist seal and the channel runners in stock.

In the meantime, I have patched the last hole in the rear clam…it looks messy, but just a good sand should help.

Next is to sand the repairs on the outside and check for any areas missed. After that, sand the inside and add more chop to the inside for strength and clean up. I think the rear is almost there!

4 Likes

I have tried to reach out to Steve at sjsportscars and also Bell and Colvill, but no reply from either.

Still trying to find the inner waist seal…anyone know of where to find one?

I’m not sure if they have anything but this company has a good variety of seals.

I looked there a long time ago for the outer door seal. Will look again for the inner!

Last night I put down a couple more layers of chop…yes, I see the air bubbles too…and as much as it pains me, I feel it will be ok. Next steps…sand down, inspect to make sure I did not miss anything or areas that require additional support/glass.

Enough talking…

1 Like

Omg, I went to remove the seal from the door and it actually came off in one piece!

I am still going to try to find one as a back up as the passenger side does need to be replaced

1 Like

Enjoying following your progress, great work :clap:

Another place that might help source any hard to find parts, he’s been a big help for me:

https://www.scottrussellsportscars.co.uk/

2 Likes

Thank you for the info! I need to look more, but a lot of hard to find items for sale there too!

I was looking over the clam…came across this…appears to be the date the clam was made, but also not sure if it may be something else. I know on many panels and in the doors there are dates when each item was made.

Can anyone help?

Smallest update in the history of updates.

Patched the front crash structure where the toe bar gave up holding on and succumbed to rust. And…put a door on!

All parts ordered are still on their way, thank you customs for wanting to know the dimensions of the windows (no idea why).

3 Likes