Another Build? But with a twist!

So…here we are…another build thread of converting a regular S1 to Exige. In typical USA fashion, this will not be your regular build but…one of the few if not the first private build in the States!

All good stories start with either a normal everyday person turning into a super hero or starts with tragedy!

This takes the tragedy route. What started as a typical night drive to enjoy the car, which is 1997 Azure Blue Elise, ended in the car off the road and into a pole. I know, some are thinking, yup, that bloke cannot drive…and there maybe some truth to it, but this involves a dog. Well, I took a corner on a hill, a stray dog was crossing the road and I could either hit to dog or avoid…yet I chose answer 2.

This lead me into a grassy area with a street sign and telephone pole.

So, that was about 3 weeks ago and here we are today! I will try to post pics as I go, but I will be the first to say, I am horrible at documenting!

There is a heater pipe that runs under the driver side sill…anyone know the size of the pipe?

6 Likes

Great first post. Shall be watching with interest

1 Like

Looking forward to reading more - does this build also include plans for engine modifications?

1 Like

Currently not in the cards…all depends on the cost of everything else :slight_smile:
I like the idea of something different, like Audi or Ford swaps…but have to check out the cost more on it all.

Your build thread has reminded me to get on and start mine! :grimacing:

1 Like

always like a build thread. Shame about the initial cause of damage.

1 Like

So…I have cataloged almost all the parts I need to do the conversion. When I add in the cost of shipping, along with parts I still need to find and even more shipping, I am sad to say I will only be doing a repair/replacement of original equipment. I could do it, but afraid the project would be lost in time because of the time to get the funds.

So, this will be a repair of the original. I need to convert my dmg images to ones accepted on here and start to upload to show.

Sorry to disappoint those wanting another conversion.

2 Likes

I know what most are thinking…well, you do a horrible job at describing any damage…where are the pics!!

So, here you go…I am sad to present…The Damage

3 Likes

Ordering didn’t go as planned, but hope you can follow the flow

1 Like

Absolutely!

Oof! !

Ordered all the fiberglass repair items I was able to think of…will start to see how study from YouTube, internet, and ChatGPT I can figure out…this weekend shall start to see if I can repair the rear clam.

Here is my thought on it…spend £2,500 (shipping is very expensive) or try to spend £50 to see if I can can it. At the end, if I cannot, I waste £50, a usual tab at a brewery…umm pub

5 Likes

Seems logical to me!

1 Like

Minor updates…sanded the rear clam a bit last night to try to start the repair

Next was to remove the heater matrix pipe, it’s a 16mm (American size is 5/8)…doing a high temp silicone tube with double clamps on each size

Finally, each time I filled up with fuel (petrol) , I noticed a smell of fuel in the cabin…well, here is the issue!!

3 Likes

Solid progress there!

Started on some fiberglass repairs…I am not an expert and taking my time to figure it out. My main thought is to get the some what minor areas done and this also will help straighten out some pieces than maybe what I learn from here will help with the larger sections.

anyways, some minor photos

1 Like

Following the FG repairs with interest. Not really done much with FG myself

The coolant line repair appears to be holding. Two times I brought it up to temperature and now I have a paper towel (I forget the British term) under the line to see if there are any leaks tonight.

Tomorrow is my birthday, another year down and other year less around lol…but may take a few moments to add more fiberglass to the rear. I am sure many are looking at it thinking they can repair it in a days time, but really taking my time to learn and do the best I can.

More to follow!!

1 Like

Happy B’day :slight_smile:

1 Like