Advice on buying EXIGE please!

Can any members please offer me any valuable advice on buying an EXIGE. Things like best place to look, what year, any obvious problems to look for, and Colour!! Having been tucked up with a TVR years ago its a mistake I dont want to make twice. Thanks in advance!

Sorry Dom - you can’t have one - there are too many in Hampshire already!!Obvious things to look for, crash damage, tyres - they are expensive and don’t last too long, make sure dealer does’nt thrash it from cold and make sure it’s had it’s recall for chip down load done.Colour is a personal choice - whatever you fancy.In most owners opinion there is no downside - apart from the grin factor - which you’ll get used too. ooh and the YIP they all squeek from the rear suspension area - but you get used to it and ignore it after a whileGive an Exige a test drive - most of us had to have one after the first drive.Tony

Nearly forget.You can get race seats, harnesses and 190BHP upgrade depending on spec.

Hi Dominic,Having recently just aquired an Exige, and having one throught the pleasurable process of selecting one, I can suggest the following:a) Spend every waking hour, after work, going through this site, drinking vodka and esspresso. This site is an invaluable source of information regarding Exiges, potential problem areas etc.b) Get out the classifieds, Autotrader, Prestige Cars, and find every Exige for sale in the country. Test drive as many as you can. There is no substitute to driving them.c) Talk to Kings, and Haydon Lotus. They were very useful for information pertaining to the car.d) Once you’ve got a small list of cars, grab their Vin numbers, and check out the Service center(s) used by the owner for any information on the car. e) Test Drive again. f) Buy one.Its as easy as 1,2,3.:wink:-Gman

Colour ? personal preference I guess, after checking this forum, and seeing some cars, I soon realised how prone to stone chips the car is, so a lighter colour is less likley to show them. However, I would not worry about stone chips, until you come to sell it!My philisophy was that I would pick my favourite colour when I had narrowed down the cars available for sale. There are not many Exiges around, and colour choice should come down on the priority list, below, milage, condition, service history etc. Same for the interior. Some dealers have a few Exiges in these days, so its worth spending some time with those cars, driving them, and talking to the dealer.There are quite a few private cars up for sale, and you will easily save some cash.At the end of the day, you’ll sit in one, and it will just “feel right”. Thats the one for you.-Gman

Thanks guys!I must admit I’ve been trawling through this site night & day (much to the frustration of gfriend) reading up on all topics, and I must say its a great source of help! - as too is the advice from you all! Tone, as your from Hampshire, are there any meets / track days? Im near too Goodwood. Im off to make a list of cars to view, and call some dealers! Thanks again!

Naaaaaaaa we’re southerners and keep ourselves to ourselves!!! Tried for a meet but nothing came of it.Have had an impromptu meeting outside Wickham and outside Sainsbury’s in Hedge End with Andy (loteuk, I think)Festival of speed next year sounds good tho’Tony

Now’t wrong wit Southerners if Exige owners!!Dominic you really do know when its the right Exige - believe me. 2 months of viewing a number, bought mine on the spot. Only regret - didn’t buy one 2 years ago - they are the business.Not so grim up north, if you own an Exige.Cheers Simon

Think your all right about when you sit in one you’ll know its right! I drove a Quartz standard car at Bell & Colville - Put the biggest grin on my face! Milage was 16K with a tag of �25995, which seems steep for a standard car with miles - or is this what too expect? All your advice is much appreciated guys! Made a mistake with a TVR once and cant afford another!

Dominic,Lotus and TVR in the same sentence!!!TVRs are great but they are crude compared to any Lotus. The sublime Lotus chassis is only dreamt of by people like Trevor.A Lotus will not always be fun because sometimes it will break- BUT - when it’s working there is nothing quite like it. You will NEVER regret buying a Lotus if you value true driving pleasure. Any well sorted Lotus will give you this. On top of this, the EXIGE will transcend anything that Lotus has offered to date. It truly is sublime for a road car.The only mistake you can make is NOT BUYING ONE. That said, you should avoid paying over the odds or buying a dud (they do exist!) But really, drive it, test it and if you have a history buy it! You will not regret it.RegardsMike

Hi Dominic, I drove the Quartz Exige and Bell and Coville as well, they also had a metallic greeny/bluey one too. Also took that out. Both were fine cars, and were good examples of what an Exige should be. However, both were stock, and did have racing seats and harnesses, not to mention the lack of the breathing 190 upgrade. Also expensive. I was after an Exige with sub 10K miles, with racing seats and harnesses. Got one, for 24.5K, less miles, better condition, and the bits I wanted (private sale from Paul Aram, also on this forum). I guess you do get the lotus warrenty from a lotus dealer, but the warrenty is not up to much in reality. Allthough a fair number of Exiges have had some warrenty problems… I am sure trawling through the site, will give you some ideas as to what they were, and whether the exiges you look at, have them done.The Exige definately lives for the 190 upgrade…even if you get a standard 177, make sure you factor some money for the upgrade…the car will thank you for it, and you will have a bigger grin on your face.-GMan

Gman, paid v similar price for mine, private buy - v v similar spec. Was going to buy a 177 but trawl thro’ BBS directed me to a 190. Must confess tho’ didn’t notice that much diff to 177 I tested.Simon

Hey Simon, Yeah, as usual dealer prices are hiked, I was surprised at the difference though, almost 4K difference in places for a car of similar age/miles/spec…I did notice some difference between a 177 and 190, but only after spending a fair amount of time test driving, the 190 seems to be more eager, and breath a lot better. Just feels more all together in general. And believe it or not, you can feel the minor torque and hp increase… :wink:

All your advice is great…and the more and more I go through these forums the more confused Im getting! So much to learn about a small car!! I’ve singled out a few cars to view, and hope to make arrangments soon. Do any of you know anyone “In the trade” that would give any cars Im interested in the once over!..All for a negotiated fee of course!Any ideas nominations!!!ThanksDom

Dominic,Procrastination, procrastination…Buying a Lotus is a bit like falling in love. When you find the right car you’ll know so, apart from making sure it’s not a prostitute, fall in love with it. Hopefully, when you’ve chosen her you’ll be totally smitten and will forgive her little foibles and tendency to squander your money - it will not matter because you’ll love her.Apart from that, an HPI and RAC check should do the trick! There is, however, always risk when buying a car out of warranty and the fact is that cars like the Exige will be driven hard and this may induce failures in due course. That said, most owners are fastidious and a full service history will be the norm, I’m sure. There is no point in trying to avoid ‘track day’ cars - most of them will have been on track at some point or at least will have been driven hard. The point is, people who take their car on track usually like to know that it isn’t going to fall apart on them when 10/10ths at the hairpin! I doubt that there are any seriously bad cars out there - just some that are better than others, but mostly cosmetic.As I said at the start of this ramble - if you love it, buy it. RegardsMike [This message has been edited by 83man (edited 29 November 2002).]

quote:Originally posted by 83man:Hopefully, when you’ve chosen her you’ll be totally smitten and will forgive her little foibles and tendency to squander your money -it will not matter because you’ll love her.Mike, that reminds me, Vinyl Veronique sends her love, & says she is looking forward to seeing you again in Le Mans. In the meantime, you know she is in safe hands [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 83man:Dominic,'Buying a Lotus is a bit like falling in love’This is very true as since buying mine I now make love the same way as I drive my Exige - very quickley, very dangerously, no consideration for others, huge grin on my face, lots of grunting and moaning trying to get in, I lose interest if I am not in it all the time, gets louder the faster I go and the inevitable burning rubber smell once I have finished.

quote: & says she is looking forward to seeing you again in Le Mans. [/B]I booked ferries for Martin, Steve, 83boy and myself yesterday. We’re going Poole/Cherbourg overnight Tues/Wed and coming back by fast cat on Monday. (This was even cheaper (by �30) than my previous quote (incidentally it makes no difference whether you come back Mon or Wed - same price))I hope she behaves herself!RegardsMike

'Buying a Lotus is a bit like falling in love’This is very true as since buying mine I now make love the same way as I drive my Exige - very quickley, very dangerously, no consideration for others, huge grin on my face, lots of grunting and moaning trying to get in, I lose interest if I am not in it all the time, gets louder the faster I go and the inevitable burning rubber smell once I have finished [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image] [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image] [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]BrilliantU should be a scriptwriter for ClarksonPhil GT

Guys…The MotorSport Elise Vs Exige.I understand the MSElise was only made for the track, but I’ve come accross a car that the chap is claiming to be a MSE. Is the Exige a better car? Whats the difference? Im nearly falling in love with cars I’ve seen, but laser blue MSE looks the biz, has had one owner with delivery mileage! Need to mail spec to one you for your opinion. Im desperate to join the gang!Dom