A seriously sexy upgrade (& a big thank you!)

Hi,

At Donington yesterday Pete tried a set of seriously sexy carbon ceramic disks on the front of his car for seriouslylous.

Despite replacing his steel 308mm with 285mm you couldn’t stop him smiling.

Performance isn’t the only benefit, they give-off much less heat, are lighter and are likely to last forever.

A key drawback obviously being the cost. But some rough maths on the way home bought it back towards sensible (read: tempting). The initial purchase for a pair of disks and pads is about four times as much as steel but given that you are likely to double the cost of the steel set-up through the purchase of additional pads though the life of disk it becomes closer to only being twice as much…for something that could out last steel several times over.

This was tried on an S2, so we had a quick look at my S1 AND I’M BLOOMING GLAD WE DID!!! The pins had come out of the nearside front pads and they’d slipped back. It doesn’t bear thinking about trying to brake from 120 in to Redgate and slowing down! Still, with Dave’s help this was fixed in 10mins. THANK YOU DAVE!!! Please step forward and take your bow.

I understand that Dave and chaps with the brakes will be at Anglesey. If you can’t wait that long drop him a line - dave @ seriouslylotus.com

Thoughts anybody?

Cheers, Ian :slight_smile:

Those discs did look so good, I am glad that they don’t do them in 4 pot AP size or they would be very tempting…

Your right Ian … slowing down into Redgate … not good :smiley:

When you over here next - Some Loti will be at Bathhurst in a few weeks time …

My concern with Carbon discs is sudden failure … probably based on nothing except I’m guessing they have to mounted very correctly

Pleased I saw it Ian and was able to help!!!
I had a great day, Drove Pete’s car, which handles so very very well it almost unbelievable…Also had a few laps with Pete at the helm, Adrenalin is brown…
Very smooth quick driver, with repeatable accuracy for turn in and apex clipping etc. WELL DONE PETE. How quick would you be with proper power???
It was nice to meet all that where there and put faces /names togather.
Hope to see you all again at Anglesey
Cheers
Dave

The brake retaining pins point is a good one - I’m sure I’ve seen someone before who’d lost the little clips that hold the retaining pins in…

Probably worth checking frequently !

[quote=DaveP]The brake retaining pins point is a good one - I’m sure I’ve seen someone before who’d lost the little clips that hold the retaining pins in…

Probably worth checking frequently ! [/quote]

Sean recommended wiring in the pin, rather than just the little clips. Sounds like a plan.

I witnessed Christian/Quo losing his rear pads at Anglesey (the cheeky git stole mine from my dead car).

Ian :slight_smile:

Interesting point. They looked pretty darn solid and was told they are not like previous carbon disks in that the fibres are woven in a circular fashion. However, I wouldn’t want to comment on the true value of that as I have no expertise in the area. Dave?

Not currently looking like being back down-under until late June. I really want to make it to Bathhurst at some point.

Cheers, Ian :slight_smile:

Gutting though if a standard sized carbon set-up was better than 4 pots. :wink:

Gutting though if a standard sized carbon set-up was better than 4 pots. :wink: [/quote]

Lucky for me my maths is rubbish or I might be able to make it make financial sense :blush:

I thought I’d already done that for you? :wink: Sell your 4-pots and you’d get even closer to feasibility.

Your not helping… :whistle:

I’m not listening :cry:

carbon disc on an exige??? havent seen it before, anyone mind to share a pic? :slight_smile:

How do i put a piccie on here then???

Dave

Open an account (free!!!) with Photobucket.com, then upload pics there - ensure “album” is open to public view.

Then post link of each pic here, ensuring link is inbetween brackets e.g.

You’ll soon get the hang of it, mate :slight_smile:

[quote=Mr Pesky]Dave

Open an account (free!!!) with Photobucket.com, then upload pics there - ensure “album” is open to public view.

Then post link of each pic here, ensuring link is inbetween brackets e.g.

You’ll soon get the hang of it, mate :slight_smile: [/quote]

Thanks Rob…
Lets see if it works???
Images of some of the Carbon discs here

With more images here

Dave, if you hover your mouse pointer over each thumbnail picture on your photo-bucket home page it brings a highlighted box up around it giving you 3 or 4 options to choose from. click on the bottom one ‘IMG code’ and it should say ‘copied’ as you do so. then just paste that

Thanks Gav!!
Still couldnt get the link to work so copied yours!!
Forget that Ive worked it out now Doh…

Those flat edges top and bottom must reduce the braking surface, surely!!

looks good :slight_smile:

But is it necessary that have it drilled? i heard drilled is not good for this disc…but obviously thats for the steel…not sure about carbon tho?

PMSL - classic!