340R v's Exige

Unsure as to what one to pick, I would like an S1 Exige but
I’m worried that it will get too hot in summer and I won’t be able to cope with the heat, whereas the 340R would be alot cooler. Has any of you had both so you could help me to choose.

I’m worried that it will get too hot in summer and I won’t be able to cope with the heat, whereas the 340R would be alot cooler.

Yep, the 340R is the perfect car for winter, or even that cooler summer day when it’s pi$$ing down

Seriously though, just how practical do you want it to be (no heater in 340R, mega expensive to repair bodywork or change the battery for the first time - complete body off!)???

One is impractical the other is totally impractical

Think I would prefer getting hot when its hot than getting wet when it rains

I’d rather be hot than wet, roof on a daily use car or at least the option of one is nice.

340 is a great car (especially if I lived in the Med) but the Exige is with out a doubt the dogs danglies …

It wouldn’t be a car for daily use. If I picked the Exige I wouldn’t take it out in the rain. Most of the miles would be in summer on good days

buy an exige get a honda conversion done and you have the best of both and take the roof off when you want to get sunburnt alternatively an elise with a honda engine

Most of the miles would be in summer on good days

And it never rains in the summer!

You’d use an Exige more, as you wouldn’t look as hard at the sky/forecast before going out to play.

Ian

If I picked the Exige I wouldn’t take it out in the rain. Most of the miles would be in summer on good days

Then let me know when your selling it!! I may be looking for a low mileage example If you buy any Exige (S1 or S2) or 340R then you will want to drive all it the time. You may find you get hotter in a 340R with biker waterproofs and a sowester (spelling) than an Exige S1 with dodgy air con. However the air con in an S2 works very well I can confirm
John

Okay then, your unbiased opinions are swaying me towards the Exige. I’m not likely to do much track driving (enthusiasm is no match for talent, I know my limits). So I would want to drive the car to and from work now and again (something to cheer me up on the way home). As I said in an earlier post, I face a 10 to 15 min jam before I get out of the town. Would the cabin become unbearable and would fitting a motor sport cover stop the engine from roasting itself.

[quote]I’m not likely to do much track driving (enthusiasm is no match for talent, I know my limits). [/quote
I’ll bet once you’ve had the Exige a while you’ll want to get it on track. Believe me it’s safer going quick on track than the public roads. I was worried about my limits on track but the guys out there are sensible so you just go your own pace and get out the way of the quicker drivers and you can still have a hoot. Just get down to a few track days to spectate, introduce yourself and you’ll have no shortage of offers to take you out for passenger laps. I’m new to the Exige ranks and cannot speak highly enough of the owners I have met, so far!!!
John

They don’t get that hot matey. If the engine is in a good state of repair with no water leaks it will never boil. The cooling system does work very effectivly when in good condition.

I can’t comment on how hot the cabin gets in the summer as I have only had mine a few months, but over the weekend I was in Blackpool, caneing it and it was a very warm day and it never went over 80 odd.

Sean…

The engine doesn’t get hot or any hotter than 80 odd… But the rear window get’s hotter and hotter eventually turning into a frying pan, basically heat soak starts to run through the whole car after a few hours I find… Or a wee while on track

But then ven the 340R get VERY hot, especially around the feet! There’s a boost tube type thing you can get that directs air onto your feet, that’s how hot it can get!

Basically as far as I can tell ALL S1 chassis based models get hot in the summer…

…But both fair very well on the sunny cool crisp winters days

When I went over to holland and germany I done most of the long distance driving in sandels and cotton trousers and shirts… Looked like a hippy but stayed at a decent temp

CAN YOU TAKE THE ROOF OFF AN EXIGE?

Mine’s not hot anymore.

Did a lot to get it that way. Ask me at Croft if you don’t want to search my posts.

If it’s an S2 you can take your roof off. In an S1 that can’t be done.

DIDNT KNOW U COULD REMOVE THE ROOF, EVEN MORE REASON TO GET ONE,
[image]http://www.kumschick.com/lotus/exige/bilder/media/MVC-850F_small.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.kumschick.com/lotus/exige/bilder/media/MVC-848F_small.jpg[/image]

IS IT ONLY THE S2 WHICH THIS CAN BE DONE ON,

THANKS SI…

IS IT ONLY THE S2 WHICH THIS CAN BE DONE ON,

THANKS SI…

No it can be done on an S1 But why the fookin hell would you want to, it looks complete shite??? If you want open air motoring just don’t buy an Exige, get an Elise

Sorry, but I just feel so strongly about this

Mine’s not hot anymore.

Did a lot to get it that way. Ask me at Croft if you don’t want to search my posts.

Will do… Mine not hot (sorted the heater matrix) but is certainly warm…

I’m also gonna try out the PRRT thingy and see if I can valve off the heater matrix for the summer

maybe in the summer you will want to feel cooler, maybe go for a pose, lol

the s1 elise looks [censored] in my view, doesnt compare to the exige,