2bular GT3 + 211 Rear

Joel, I have the Reverie (no hole) diffuser and Jims eliminator kit, personally I love the look of it and think it is very well made. With the 421, decate and 8" GT3 I saved I think 13kg give or take. The Lotus manifold and std exhaust is a monster, not hard to save a good chunk of weight on any part of it!

This is the finish job, original centre panel and modified exhaust. I would have liked the tail pipe to be more to the right so i might sort that later, the strange thing is it’s made the exhaust a bit quieter.

Mike

you will be able to hang your hat on that mike,sticks out a bit.

:sunglasses: best look for our cars imho.

By any chance mate, do have have the Lotus part number for the number plate plinth please? :slight_smile:

Sorry I dont but if you phone Paul on parts at Chrisopher Neils he knows exactly what you need, they are good to deal with and will post it to you, tell him you want one like mine and he’ll know what your on about :slight_smile:

Sure is, guys :sunglasses:

I have had a couple of PM’s asking about the mod so I will try and explain how I did it.

Ok the 211 plinth uses the same fixing centers as the exige so is quite straight forwards to fit, If you have a later car like mine you have more diffuser fixings and also more boot floor fixings in a different location to the early cars. However the boot floor still has the early car fixing holes pre drilled in the boot with stickers over them and three of your diffuser fixings are at the same centers as the early car so no big deal.

OK on a 211 the plinth is fixed direct to the 211 boot floor as its lower but on the exige there is a spacer so I have used 3 100mm M6 bolts and a bit of a design to allow a pivot, very simple to do.
Firstly remove all the boot carpet and foam, then remove the old plinth, this involves quite a bit of tugging and swearing and about 10ml of blood.
You may find its better to remove the old exhaust first.
Then you need to cut away the heat shield, I cut away at the rear leaving a little spare so I could tuck it up out of the way.
At this point fit your new exhaust and trim the shield till it looks pretty.
Now you need your long bolts, these push down through the three pre drilled holes, I used large repair washers either side of the boot floor and then used two back nuts to make sure they dont shake loose.
I then made tiny slits in the shield for the bolts to sit through and pushed all the heat shield into place.
I then used 3 more nuts to run up the bolts to get the level for the plinth.
This bit is where you need to use a little thought, the boot floor is not level and so the long bolts are at a slight angle. I used furniture assembley dowels which are by chance an m6 thred.
You need 6 of these, three I left the thread in and 3 I drilled out. The three with the thread I ran up to the three leveling nuts, (you can tighten these together so that they dont shake loose later).
Then you put the plinth in position followed by the three drilled out dowels (these slide up) then three M6 nuts to hold in place and a further 3 nuts, again to stop things shaking loose.
The dowels should allow enough pivot to get the Plinth level, this picture shows the idea, there is a repair washer where the plinth would sit…

Once you have all the top nuts level where the plinth sits level and where you want it you need to re fit the diffuser before you tighten up the lower nuts and backnuts.
Once the ddiffuser is fitted you then tighten up the lower nuts and this should hold every thing in position at the angle you require.
Obviously we are talking Lotus here so you may need to fiddle or fettle some bits to get a better fit.

That is probably as clear as mud but writing is obviously not my strong point, however if you want your boiler fixing I’m not bad.

Boothy

Many thanks mate!

Off to change my Grundfos pump now! :smiley:

mine 3 years ago hardcore :slight_smile:

The exhaust looks very smart, I like the ‘exposed’ look, what about heat protection?

I was looking at the heat shielding round my exhaust at the weekend (or should I say what’s left of it) and its pretty much just ‘placed’ in position, since all the fixings have rusted through and it flaps about and rattles like mad. In fact, its a wonder chunks of it haven’t fallen off yet. I am now wondering if its worth getting a replacement heat shield or just taking it all off? I have a Lotus Stage 1 exhaust if that makes a difference?

2009 resolution is to look after the Lotus more (and treat it to more mods too), as well as getting rid of all the rattles and squeaks, so this is a start…

I have all the heat shielding out with the full 2bular system and eliminator and have never had an issue. The cool air does the trick for me…

I am surprised you can get enough fast cooling airflow John at the speeds you drive! :smiley:

I am surprised you can get enough fast cooling airflow John at the speeds you drive! :smiley: [/quote]

We’ll see cobber… :wink: looking forward to seeing you in my rear view camera :smiley: for a short while :smiley:

[quote] looking forward to seeing you in my rear view camera for a short while [quote]

Till it goes wrong and falls off the dash? :wink:

Fitted this today, did mine a bit different to yours for the top fixing but still overall the same effect. looks good and Jacqui prefers it over the removal of the panel totally.

Pics dude, letsavalook :wink:

Tried to fit mine last week!

The rear of the E…e clam is obviously a slightly diffo shape, so the 211 panel would not fit flat or flush under the rear…

I have had to cut it and angle the top so I can achieve that…

Bit of a pain!

The other thing is I think it perhaps looks a bit ‘odd’ with the 2 smaller exit exhausts of the ‘K’ series E…e! The Janspeed back box is full of curves etc etc… perhaps looks a bit too ‘busy’ and not ‘racy’ enough!

It does look good on Boothys car with the Tubular single exit.

Jury out! What do peeps think? :slight_smile:

I’ll do some pictures tomorrow, should have taken some before i fitted it finally, but you always get carried away don’t you!
Anyway not sure I can explain it very well but I re-drilled the outer 2 holes on the top of the 211 plinth to match the spacing on the old one then used 2 90mm bolts and bolted them on, then using nuts and washers at the top to make the spacing work bolted it all up, that probably makes no sense at all :frowning: