2bular GT3 + 211 Rear

So what do you do if you really want a quiet exhaust but your not to sure on the panel eliminator kits?
Well I did not know until I was in the dealer a few weeks back looking at a 211, I was really taken with the rear and the GT3 style exhaust and it just worked better IMHO than the aftermarket kits, so I took a chance, I bought Damons 8" GT3 (cheers Damon) and ordered a 211 rear plinth not knowing if it would fit or not.
The answer is with some not very difficult custom mods it does and if I do say so myself I am very happy with the results!
The 211 plinth is 23" long but the hole centers to the diffuser are exactly the same as the exige. IMHO the fact its 23" really adds to the look and I think its how Lotus should have done it in the first place.
Its much lighter than the stock set up, has holes for cooling and my plate is Velcro’d on so I can remove it for trackdays to aid cooling further.
Take a look and see what you think, its probably not for everyone but I love it! :slight_smile:

And with the numberplate in place…

Good work, Boothy, looks fab :sunglasses:

agreed - looks good :slight_smile:

Cheers guys, I am really happy with it! Steph just came home and said she does not like it, what do women know :smiley:

Looks great Boothy. How much modifying did you have to do ?

I have teh non LED lights so have reflectors to consider.

Thanks

Ex77

Nice one the Boothster :sunglasses:

Great looking mod Boothy.

Have you any idea of the overall weight saving over the original S setup - exhaust and rear panel?

Shame it has to be hidden behind the number plate for road use.

Harvey.

[quote=Exige77]Looks great Boothy. How much modifying did you have to do ?

Thanks

Ex77 [/quote]

Cheers guys! Ex77, its pretty easy, I will do a write up when I have time, but in a nut shell the plinth is fixed direct to the 211 boot floor but on the exige there is a spacer so I have used 3 100mm M6 bolts and a bit of a design to allow a pivot, very simple to do and I took a pic so can show how its done.
As for weight the std set up has three layers and is about 80mm taller plus goes all the way across (I’ll weigh it tomorrow)The 211 is single layer and full of holes so weighs next to nothing but I am not sure how much tbh.
As for cost as I am sure your all guessing, the 211 plinth is �40 and I spent a tenner on bolts, washers and metal dowel. :slight_smile:

Forgot to add, with regards reflectors, where the diffuser fixes to the sides of the car the brackets used also have fixings for the rear grilles, I left these in place so I can easily reverse everything. It would be easy to extend these with flat ally bar and fix the reflectors there. A bit of satin black paint and it would look fine.

cool man!!

Can you take the pics down now please? Making me wish I’d kept the zorst!

:smiley:

[quote=Boothy][quote=Exige77]Looks great Boothy. How much modifying did you have to do ?

Thanks

Ex77 [/quote]

Cheers guys! Ex77, its pretty easy, I will do a write up when I have time, but in a nut shell the plinth is fixed direct to the 211 boot floor but on the exige there is a spacer so I have used 3 100mm M6 bolts and a bit of a design to allow a pivot, very simple to do and I took a pic so can show how its done.
As for weight the std set up has three layers and is about 80mm taller plus goes all the way across (I’ll weigh it tomorrow)The 211 is single layer and full of holes so weighs next to nothing but I am not sure how much tbh.
As for cost as I am sure your all guessing, the 211 plinth is �40 and I spent a tenner on bolts, washers and metal dowel. :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Any more pictures Andy?

I’m wanting to do something like this to get rid of a rattle I’m having with the silencer touching the heatshielding in front of the number plate.

Does this sit further aft compared to the stock panel and nimbus?

Neil.

Hi Neil,

I will do a write up (hopefully tomorrow) but it sits in the same place, it basically fits to the existing diffuser holes and then you have to drill your own in the boot floor.
I cut away all of the rear nimbus and so now only have it to protect the boot floor. Also as this is only one layer thick it gives plenty of clearance from the exhaust.
Are you going on the 30th? I’ll show you it all then if you like.

Andy

I’m afraid I’m not going on the 30th, working nights on the 29th :frowning:

Neil.

Nice work Boothy!

[quote=Boothy]Hi Neil,

I will do a write up (hopefully tomorrow) but it sits in the same place, it basically fits to the existing diffuser holes and then you have to drill your own in the boot floor.
I cut away all of the rear nimbus and so now only have it to protect the boot floor. Also as this is only one layer thick it gives plenty of clearance from the exhaust.
Are you going on the 30th? I’ll show you it all then if you like.

Andy [/quote]

Looks excellent Boothy. Have you had a chance to do the write up yet?
I presume you removed all of the heat sheilding? If so isn’t there a chance it’ll damage your boot floor?

I may well be doing this in the very near future.

Sean

Dogs! :wink:

Looks fantastic Boothy. Job very well done!

Do you happen to know the weight of the 8" 2Bular exhaust?

is it heavier compared to the 6" ?

Thanks JBS, I think Jim says there is not much in it tbh. Just had a look and the 8" GT3 is 7.7kgs but I cant see the weight of the 6".

I still need to do a write up on this, Paul at CN’s says someone has already been on and bought a 211 rear plinth though.

As an aside what do people clean the tail pipe with? mine is going manky already and nothing seems to bring it up to a nice even finish (even autosol).

Boothy