2017 Car prep begins...

I seem to spend every winter with a list of jobs to do or parts I’d like to buy for the 2-Eleven. There are either to sort some of the inbuilt niggles these cars left the factory with or to just maintain and improve the car.

Today I dropped the car off at Mick Gardner Racing in Barnsley for GT4 Ohlins suspension setup and a more track biased geometry. It’s a humble unit that’s full of anodised gold goodness.

I’m really looking forward to trying my car out on track with this setup. Hopefully March will see my first track day of 2017 probably at Donington.

Anyone else treating themselves with nice bits / work done ready for 2017?

A Sadev in the Caterham Adam. Mick Gardeners are very helpful.

Mine has a list of things “to do” but struggling to get motivated or find the time.

Sort out squeak on front ARB mounts.
Sort out buzzing intercooler heat shield.
Sort weeping header tank pipe.
Consider next legal steps for a certain exhaust manufacturer and finally get a new silencer.
Fit TRD.
Get a new front splitter in black or get existing sprayed.
Leather cover or plastic-dip centre console.
Wrap rear light surround.
Re-fit side pods.
Detail car
Drive it!

I was blown away by the Sadev in bookatracks 620R and that was just as a passenger. Damn thing was nearly pulling wheelies.

I’m a bit late to the party compared to the others Adam. Oh and a new wrap :smiley:

Oh and John pull your finger out ffs :mrgreen:

I’ve got nothing to, although maybe a few livery changes on the Caterham. Other than that just pitch up and hoon about in it :smiley:

Just ordered loads of bits for the Clio, brakes, oil cooler, custom harness bar and new harness all to be fitted ready for Easter :slight_smile:

This is where I hope to be with the 211. Nothing to do other than just use it. im nearly there…other than maybe a suspension refurb next winter.

I’ve got lazy. As the car was in for repair after my altercation with a drugged driver, I’ve let Steff at Analogue do the winter refresh. Wishbones off to the powdercoater, new bearings (hubs and wishbones-sphericals), and 3 way Nitrons. 211 uppers. Ade’s old front splitter and a Reverie diffuser as the silly cow broke the last one.
( and 4 corners for the 26R - yeah baby)

big old list here, just many fiddly little bits

new brakes on and geo from Steve Williams

Planning suspension refresh ahead of Anglesey. Sadly, not skilled enough to carry out myself but orders going in next week, all being well. Original parts to be stored and cherished, of course.

Alignment check/change
Fit rear mounted oil cooler
Remove and re seal rear clam
Fit baffled sump
Look into a gearbox cooler

I’m collecting my car tomorrow from Mick Gardner Racing having had the 211 GT4 springs, valving and geometry set up.

I had no idea but It turns out my car already has springs stiffer than standard, sort of a halfway between standard and GT4 but with standard valving. These springs must have either been fitted upon building the car or by the original owner. Seems odd and I wonder if just whacking stiffer springs on without matching valves has taken anything away from how the car corners as Lotus intended?

Anyway I’m looking forward to driving it with a proper set up.

What were they Adam?

They did mention what spring rates they were during the phone call but I can’t remember exactly. I’ll find out for sure tomorrow.

Just seems odd fitting slightly stiffer springs to a then new 211?? The new owner obviously thought he knew better than Gavan Kershaw :slight_smile:

You should have tried my 360 cup that was signed off by Mr Kershaw.
OK ish on the road but bloody terrible on circuit, as JDS.
I did about 5 laps of donnington before taking it home, having the dampers rebuilt and resprung.
It’s a totally different car now, in a good way.
Again ask JDS.

Interesting Dave…especially on a Cup. You’d expect it to be happy on track out of the box.

Do lotus now use Ohlins and Nitron for different models?

Ok, car collected with Ohlins GT4 valving. Upon advice from the MGR lads I kept the existing springs on the car. They insisted the springs would be absolutely fine with the new valves and if I ever wanted to go a notch stiffer with the GT4 springs they’d fit them free of charge.

They asked if my car suffered from understeer?..turns out my existing settings were benign and not very exciting for track work.

They’ve added a lot more camber, tweaked the toe f/r, lowered the ride height to bring some rake to the cars stance, corner weight etc. Turns out my car is 765Kg with half a tank of fuel.

With a new set of Avon ZZR’s I’m looking forward to aiming it at some corners next month :slight_smile:

Sounds great Adam!!

Not long to go til Anglesey :sunglasses:

I might try and squeeze a Donington in beforehand :smiley: