2013 Eliseparts Time Attack S1 Exige

Ha ha. I like the ray ban idea Ben !!!

And this sort of stuff is becoming the norm really. You just have to do it to keep with the competition. There are some very serious cars out this year with Pro drivers. I didn’t want to take any pictures that revealed anything, but in the photos above you can just about see the new R C M car. If you think mine looks mental , then think again!!! It’s one of the most highly anticipated new car builds in the world right now and I don’t think anyone is going to be dissapointed!

Fair play matey. Will have to get myself out to watch a few of these events.

IF you can re-engineer the exhaust outlet to blow below that great diffuser (aka F1 blown diffuser!), you will maximise the gains from that! Otherwise, best exit it from two divergent pipes to minimise the reduction of static pressure above the diffuser. It’s probably not a lot of gain, but from what I see you are doing mate, every bit will count!

I would love to see the car in the flesh! Good luck at the shake-down stuff!

Brilliant! :>)

Yep, I agree with what you are saying and yes, we are making an effort to go where not many people have been before (with an Exige), however I’m not going to get too hung up on trying to achieve anything too unrealistic. It was designed as a road car at the end of the day, so there will always be limitations.

The blown diffuser idea had crossed my mind actually. Again however, I think it’s unlikely to be possible to really achieve anything here. The exhaust gas speed on the F1 cars that use this device is massive compared to ours. On our car there may be enough gas speed to create the desired effect, but only down a straight at full throttle when we don’t need it. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m not going to bother trying it, as we’d never know it was working anyway!!!

What I have learnt from the wind tunnel , is how difficult it is to balance an Exige/Elise front-to-rear. Anyone running a rear wing (that actually does anything) and hasn’t got a large splitter at the front, with big end fences,(our new one will be about 8" deep) will be massively biased towards the rear to the point of probably making the car slower around a track compared to not bolting a wing on at all. And we knew that having rake on the elise platform was important, but you really have to have quite alot to shift the balance forward enough when you are doing the things that we have done.

All very interesting stuff anyway.

To be honest I’m not convinced the rear wing is big enough :open_mouth:

Well done though it does look amazing

Awesome looking machine !
As the rules would allow it did you consider a roof mounted wing … a bit like classic stock cars,but not as big obvoiusly :smiley:
Ok maybe a bit excessive, maybe more like an F1 roll hoop wing , but you get my drift !
Would lessen the rear bias balance problem !
… awaits lesson from Pesky :smiley: :smiley:

:astonished: That looks mental! you need to mount some hazard lights on the end plates. :crazy:
I am sure one of you guys will have spotted this but you appear to have driven straight over the front of a tiny race car that must have been parked in the garage. :laughing:

Good luck, i am hoping to attend the first weekend at Cadwell. I will make sure you dont run me over in the pits. :mrgreen:

A couple of pics from the smoke test at Mira showing the lovely attached flow over the top/back of the car and also underneath and out of the diffuser.

:open_mouth: amazing !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That’s got to be the realisation of a fantasy photo-
“That’s MY race car in the mira wind tunnel” :sunglasses: :clap: :thumbup:

A couple of pictures of the finished engine bay and another of our new chargecooler pre-rad

Wow!!!

Wow indeed!!!

Not long to go now Jamie. You confident that you’ll have a car for next weekend???

We’ll 100% have a car. We just can’t afford to miss out on points. However, as we also can’t afford to rush things with regards to calibrating the new engine setup, we may well just run the old engine for the first round to play safe which gives us an extra month to fine tune the new one properly. Luckily, Cadwell shouldn’t penalise us too much with with regards to not having much power. Scuffers is also hoping that it’s wet, as we have some serious race wets.

Yup having Cadwell as the first round with a bit of rain would definitely be an advantage…

Good luck matey.

A very brief update. The engine finally turned up a few days ago and with a mammoth effort from Scuffers and Matthew Bentley Racing, they got it all fitted and working in 1 day flat. On Thursday the car only had 2.5 hours on the dyno to be run in and a safe map made up. The car made about 535 bhp at the hubs, so about 600bhp at the engine. And this was only reving it to 7500 rpm, not the 9000 that it’s been built for. Reving it to 9000 would have roughly given us 750 bhp. We also have the option to wind up the boost more. The power graph just looks like someone has drawn a straight line at a 45 degree angle!!! Torque was around 350ftlbs at the hubs.

Anyway, we now need a much a much bigger wastegate, or 2 of what we have to control the boost over 7500rpm so we can make full use of the rev range.

It was amazing to get this far in so little time, what with all the delays etc, but we are very, very happy with how it’s turned out. After Cadwell on Monday we will get to work, sorting out what we need to and then give it a proper mapping session.

Looks like Scuffers is a couple of secs of Jamie’s 2012 pace in warm-up so probably just building up gradually.

Keep check on it here :

Oh dear no sign of them out for practice…hope it’s not terminal.

Really looking forward to YouTube footage of this …