2006 Exige S

Yes I thought for a while that I had a Gaz pump too, but that was me just putting 2 and 2 together and making 5.

I could have put the Denso back in, at no point did Gaz make a hard sell for his own pump but he said typically the seals are a one-time use deal and he would rather put fresh seals/filter in etc. He also explained that the Denso’s are longer than OEM (and his Spitfire pumps) so normally require an extended cap on the assembly - but mine had been done “another way” involving chopping something and modifying a seal (I’m not sure I fully understand till I see it myself) and although a workable solution, it’s a tidier install to just put something in that’s the OEM size… so that’s what we’re doing.

I’ve picked up my third manflu of the season I think, hopefully nothing contracted from my crispy chill beef I had on Friday - but as a result I had a very thick head when talking to Gaz on the phone, so hopefully I’ve got some of that right :crazy: :laughing:

Might have been part of the chassis chopped to allow easier removal of the fuel pump?

Yeah the fuel pump aperture behind the passenger seat had the tell-tale trim job done to it, AFAIK it’s the only way to service the pump assembly without dropping the tank.

Gaz was referring to a modification inside the assembly itself, which I’ve not seen with my own eyes yet. The uprated Denso pump that I had (fitted to 260 cup etc) is longer, so normally would need to be fitted along with something like this: Uprated Fuel Pump Alloy Retaining Cap

Mine was completely factory though (from the outside), so when the Denso was fitted something internal to the assembly has been chopped to make room. Again, not a problem - but whilst it was all out of the car and dismantled I figured I’d just put something in with known history to future proof me.

Got the gauge install finished at the weekend, the fitment ended up being really easy in the end.

For the previous 60mm gauge, I had to strip out the rotating innards of the vent pod and fit an adaptor ring to clamp the gauge in place. With the 52mm SPA gauge I could put the rotating bit back in without the flaps, then it pretty much slotted right in. Not even glued it in with anything.

Really happy with it, had a play through the (many) settings and got a backlight which roughly matches the clocks at night and set some high/low alarms to get me started. The button is mounted just beneath the steering shroud.

One of the jobs I highlighted just before the winter SORN’ing was that the heat wrap on my cat u-bend had gone to crap.

A bit disappointing, I’ve used DEI heatwrap loads of times in the past and can usually get a few years out of it - but this has barely lasted a year. I bought more of the same though, will see if it fares any better this time around.

I think I’ve said it before but I have doubts about this cat convertor. It’s not the original Lotus part, and certainly is not a performance replacement - it’s just a pattern part replacement that I guess was swapped at some stage in the cars past due to a cat failure (fairly common on the SC’d 2zz’s). I’ll start researching alternatives and hopefully it’ll be fine in the meantime.

The slip joint has been blowing for a while where the cat connects back to the backbox, it’s partly because I’m forced to use the wrong sort of clamp to force the badly fitting 2bular backbox in such a way that it doesn’t foul the undertray so I’m going to go back to a proper clamp and maybe look at spacing down my undertray a bit to fix the problem that way.

In other news I got my fuel pump assembly back from Spitfire, the original denso pump has been replaced with a Spitfire special - nothing wrong with the Denso, I just wanted everything inspecting to see if I could find a quick fix to my fuel surge issues and while it was apart I took the decision to future proof it with the spitfire pump. Should be good for 400+ bhp, not that I need it.

The Denso only has 5k miles on it so I’ll lob it on eBay/FB or whatever and somebody else can make use of it who’s planning the Lotus 260 upgrade.

Refreshed the assembly with all new seals, filters, etc - so good to go. (though again, at 20k miles nothing actually needed refreshing…)

Final job for the weekend was prepping for the two NS hubs I’d be replacing due to damaged ABS wires. (self inflicted)

I’ve got some SKF hubs due to arrive this week, so HOPEFULLY that’ll fix my ABS issue and allow me to finally bleed the brakes properly. Will tax it on Sunday :slight_smile:

Sounds good! If you fancy a run out Sunday I might be about in the PM.

Cheers Andy, my only issue with Sunday will be that my two front wheels may not be pointing in the right direction :laughing: I put some new toe-links on what feels like years ago now, so my plan was to take it to my trusted local tyre place just to get them facing forward before my proper geo in a couple of weeks.

I reckon Monday will be my first proper trip out to said tyre shop, so maybe we postpone a weekend?

Sounds good to me!

:thumbup:

Oh, almost forgot - battery is swapped too.

Don’t have a cut-off fitted yet, but will lob one in later. For now I’m going to leave my SAE tail permanently connected to the terminals so I can just plug the trickle charger in without messing around.

That is exactly what I used to do, makes it nice and simple to keep it charged

Hubs arrived, can you tell which has got the working ABS?

Lessons learned from the suspension refurb on my Elise back in 2016/17, get the right tool for the job and getting the rear hubs off takes 5mins instead of a long weekend.

Looking good.

Fingers crossed my ABS error clears now, still waiting for a new clamp for the backbox so can’t test yet - hopefully a quick tootle up and down the lane tomorrow after Amazon man fetches me my clamp.

I am assuming you needed the puller as the hub wasnt coming off without a fight?

Yeah just seized onto the splines. Same issue on my Elise, tried being polite with a hammer and it just wasn’t shifting then either.

I’m really having to fight the urge to do a full suspension refurb on this car too, it was sooooo satisfying but that’ll be a job for another winter as my wishbones are still in reasonable condition on the Exige, and I’ve got more important stuff to spaff money on!

I might need to change a hub over on mine so I guess I know the chap with the right gear!
Mine is the non posh version of your hub though.

None posh, you mean no abs?

Yes. You have posh effects. Mine is poverty spec!

I think a few people just use the same abs hubs and obviously don’t connect the sensor, everything else I think is identical.

You’re welcome to my old ones I took off, other than having no working sensor they should still be good if you’ve got a grumbly bearing!

PS: I didn’t realise they did a Toyota s2 without abs. Every day a school day

Appreciate the offer. I think the new hub isnt much from [mention]seriouslylotus[/mention] but again, appreciated.

Took the car up and down the lane last night with its shiny new hubs and the ABS light cleared almost immediately! Woo.

This allowed me to do a few ‘ABS-engaging’ stops which hopefully has purged a bit of air from the ABS unit to allow me to finally get a good bleed. Car looked soooo good finally on its wheels and manoeuvring about on the drive, after it’s been on stands for so long you lose a bit of perspective and forget how damn fine they look, if I don’t say so myself.

Excellent news [mention]Fonzey[/mention] I suspect you have a real sense of achievement!

Top job.