15years of Exige Ownership

Doesn’t seem so long ago that I started the ‘Decade of Exige Ownership’ thread, yet this week its turned into 15years of ownership!

I owe the car a debt of gratitude for the great experiences it has provided and almost more importantly the wonderful people I’ve been privileged to meet as part of ownership.

It doesn’t get used so much at the moment, but even after 15years, each and every time I open the garage and pull the cover off I have a wow moment that I have access to such a fine motor vehicle.

I thought I’d update the history and post some photos that I had to hand that chart the history.

2003 : Purchased a boggo standard 177bhp car from B&C
2004 : My first trackday at Llandow with IDG, AndyD and Mike Lane – I was hooked
2005 : VHPD issues on the way to our annual trackday at Croft led to me experiencing the Edwards Honda conversion
2006 : NA Honda conversion + nitrons etc – let the modding commence.
2007 : SC install and also the infamous ‘white wheels’ phase :laughing:
2009 : Proper brakes off of Sean’s racecar
2013 : New black and white livery
2015 : After a period of unreliability car broke on way to Spa - before I’d even got to the circuit (low point)
2015 : Retired from track use and I bought a Caterham (see above)
2016 : Reborn in Grigio Telesto with lots of Steve and Martin TLC.

This is the Exiges day at Donny in 2006, its the earliest pic I could find. My car is not there - its in the Edwards garage having its Honda conversion.

The white wheels stage. I don’t really know what I was thinking tbh. It was certainly eye catching.

The wheels mainly looked like this though - don’t do white wheels.

I decided to go for a new livery that was a homage to Autobytel cars…

…made it real. Again it was quite eye catching.

With Tim on the way back from the annual Anglesey pilgrimage.

The car started to be known as the ‘Angry Badger’ so I made a logo - it still has it today even though its not black and white anymore.

These two cars have had many adventures together over the last 15years.

Wearing a bit of Donington exit-of-Redgate mud with pride.

At Chatsworth for LITP - it was broken when this pic was taken btw.

This is the saddest picture of all. On the transporter at Spa only having made it as far as the paddock :frowning:

This was the BaT4 Rental R300 - I agreed to buy it just after the previous pic was taken.

We had some time apart with the car sitting broken at Bookatrack. Eventually I forgave it and embarked on another rebirth. It went to Martin and Steve who worked their magic again. I can safely say that I wouldn’t be typing this now, 15 years into ownership if it was for those two guys and their passion for the cars.

And after a huge effort by the Edwards and the Mike Santos and the guys at Impact Bodyworks the car was reborn into its current (and in my view) its best incarnation.

I was having fun in the Caterham - here at the Exiges day with DaveP.

Hard to believe that its a 2001 car - I guess it has swallowed quite a bit of £££ over the years (best not to add it up).

Love this pic - my middle son James is crazy about the car and loves the opportunity to show it off.

The car finally made it back to Hethel for the 70th birthday celebrations.

This is the last pic I have of the car and its kind of apt. My middle lad is the next generation of exigers and he’s getting comfortable.

Congratulations, Ben, on 15 years of ownership and a great, and well illustrated, write-up.
It’s 12 years for me and I can’t believe how quickly it’s gone by. You were quite right when you told me at the exiges.com Cadwell trackday that I needed to get mine on track.
And the fun goes on . . .

Great pics and writeup Ben. :clap:

Got my first S1 Exige in 2003 too (titanium grey one on left front of Donny pic).

Great write up Ben, your Exige is awesome mate.

Echo the comments above Ben, I’ve not seen it now for some time…

Great write up, looks mega in battleship grey… :thumbup:

I’m just starting my journey of S1 Exige ownership. Hopefully I’ll emulate yours and still be enjoying the car with my lad in another15+ years.

I just hope it’s not that long before I get it on the road!!! :laughing:

Great pictures and I enjoyed reading your owner ship story. A long term car owner ship has always something special to it.
Although I’m quite new to the Exige crowd I tend to keep my cars for a longer period of time too.
Glad to see that the next generation is preparing to take over :thumbup:

Nice .
I ,oddly, was reminiscing today at Brands with James and Tim about being exigeless. You were AWOL.
Still, have two Elans in the bag!

Blimey. How to upset a guy! Especially after some challenging braking at Anglesey!! :wink:

Mega car as it is right now. Even if Peugeot would call the colour free grey!! :laughing:

Thanks lads, glad you enjoyed the pics.

Love that car, there is something special about long term ownership.

My x3 kids have never known life without the car, found this pic from 5.5 years ago.

Haha. JDS who worked on my car at B&C, Plans and of course at JSR - my car loves John :clap:

Twas a sad day when I couldn’t bring it up to JSR anymore in that salubrious industrial park in Dudley.

“Free grey” you cheeky git! In fairness when it went to Impact, Mike Santos phoned me and asked if I was sure because “we just did a test and it looks like primer with a bit of pearl in it” :laughing:

Lol!! I think the official colour is Shark Grey, rather than free grey. Have never been great at marketing!! Maybe a little darker than yours.

Hmmm, Branded at B&C to fix AC. Branded at Plans to check your brakes. Fixed at JSR - with a little help from Sean. Racing tunnel exit made it all good. There were some amazing 11’s left along the way!!!

Obvs never in a customers car!!! :wink: :wink:

Twas a sad day when I couldn’t bring it up to JSR anymore in that salubrious industrial park in Dudley.

Best breakfast and recovery everer tho!!

T’is true.

“John, help we’re on the M6 and Ian has broken down again” :laughing:

Best train station too! After missing the train to London the ticket guy made me a cuppa in a proper mug :thumbup:

Also :

“John, help we’re on the A5 and both Ian and I have broken down” :laughing:

My car has left its mark on you I can see that.

I’d be disappointed if you’d handed it back without testing that the 11’s mode was working correctly!

Where’s that road sign meme that you and Sean replicated? Weaving through cones? Rolling burnouts? Not that the Exiges Anglesey trip ever got out of hand. Not that a everyone meet at JSR and we’ll sweep up the breakdowns, didn’t encourage some entertainment!

Ever!! :laughing:

When I’m an old giffer in a care home, I’ll remember that weekend and smile - it was pretty unhinged :laughing:

Well done Ben …wonder who has owned Exiges of various marks the longest?
I’ve owned one or Four since 2006 with a short gap due to" folly" racing…and I can still get in and OUT of it No Problems…

Have fun all …must do more track days next year.

No wonder it needed a repaint after those sponges were dropped on the floor and then put straight back to work.
Surely they are old enough for a detailing course?