X 898 ABN Exige

Anyone know anything about this one? its red and up for a private sale. Seen it today looked in reasonable condition, but has missing service history, the owner says thats because its been in storage for 18 months? The floor has started to corrode, is this a problem lotus will fix or how much will it cost me, how do they repair it? A ny comment welcomed.

Free fix under the 10 year anti-corrosion warranty on the chassis. Take it to any dealer.

Ian

By missing sevice history do you mean none,bits & pieces with gaps, or just the last 18 months missing. I’d be less worried about the last one & concerned if either of the first two.

Tim.

Anyone know anything about this one? its red and up for a private sale. Seen it today looked in reasonable condition, but has missing service history, the owner says thats because its been in storage for 18 months? The floor has started to corrode, is this a problem lotus will fix or how much will it cost me, how do they repair it? A ny comment welcomed.

Hi, I know it well. It used to be mine. I part exchanged it in March for a MS Elise. I was aware of some mild corrosion to the floor pan in the drivers footwell - this is common due to the carpets getting wet and not being allowed to dry out - though I never used the floor mats for that very reason. From what I understand, the ally floor pans are bonded to the chassis, so are a bugger to replace. But I wouldn’t let this stop me from buying it - it’s only surface corrosion, isn’t it? I bought the car in August 2003 - at that point it had the Eliseparts side air scoops, and roof scoop fitted. It also has the Eliseparts ally rad and grill. Very, very rare in red. It was a pleasure to own and drive. I had a new IAC valve fitted to it at the beginning of 2005, along with a complete set of Pagid RS14’s and new Castrol SRF fluid (which should be changed at least once a year). It also had a strengthening bracket fitted to the clutch slave cylinder, and a new stainless steel Janspeed exhaust. It has the 190 upgrade fitted and I changed the oil every couple of thousand miles - with Mobil 1 of course. In February 2004 I took the car to Anglesey for a track day - got the bug and then the car was rarely used on the road. For the following 12 and a bit months it was used on 2 or 3 track days and was never used on the road. As for the service history, I did miss the last service before selling it - not because it had exceeded the service mileage but had passed the 12 month period since it’s last service - it didn’t need servicing since it’s oil, water, plugs, brake fluid etc was being tended to regularly (by myself who I trust, unlike most dealerships). I think it had about 22-24K miles on it when it went (my memory is poor so don’t quote me on that). There are some pictures of it on Eliseparts - see:
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101&zenid=a73d425355e3bceb8f4c173e460b2d42

If it still has the Cobra FIA seats fitted then these could do with being replaced - they are too large so that the passenger seat has been positioned further forward than usual to allow the two seats to be fitted side by side - it needs seats designed specifically for the Elise. From what I know it has never been crashed - there were two owners prior to me. If for no other reason you should buy it for it’s colour - I have never seen another red one (apart from MS cars), you’ll be totally unique and with the black trim I think you’ll agree it looks awesome - we used to nick name it “Darth Maul” because of the black and red colour scheme. After getting bitten by the track bug I wanted to race it - but it was too nice to be raced, so I part-exed it for the MS Elise. If my intentions were not to race then I’d still own it. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Ta.

Another thing… I sold it without the Cat. fitted though it was supplied with it, so make sure that it is included. If it has been lost I do have another for sale. I part-exed it without an MOT since the tyres were pretty bold, and I know that the new owner replaced them with something cheap (certainly not A048’s) to get it through the MOT. Ta.

Thanks for that. PM’d you mate. The car seems in good condition, tyres are Eagle f1’s not the best but i want mags and slicks for the track anyway. I thought id seen that car at the track before just coundn’t remember when.

I’d be interested in how they drive, that’s the first car with those I’ve heard of. I suspect they’ll be no grip like the Toyo, too hard.

Ian