Would anyone swap an S1 for an S2?

Ive been offered an S2 as a straight swap for my fully factory modded pristine low mileage S1! Would anyone be tempted? As its only my weekend toy, I think in going to decline their offer, as I just love the S1’s rawness and rareness!

As just a weekend car I’d keep the S1.

Go over to the dark side …NEVER…
Think about it…why would anyone offer you that deal?
He obvoiusly knows you have the most smilingly FUN car ever…Dont even think about it!!!
Just enjoy every moment of it .

on a � note only thought, surely its a fantastic offer ?

It’s tempting… but I think you’re making the right decision for the right reasons! You’d never forgive yourself.

If your S1 was a trackday dog with shotblasted front clam and VHPD on it’s last legs, then the decision would be rather easier…

on a � note only thought, surely its a fantastic offer ?

I reckon one day in the not so very distant future the S1 will be worth more than the S2 Elise-esque S2 Exige!

The guy who made the offer is obviously a derranged care in the community nutter who hasnt taken his medication and doesnt know what he is saying.

runs for cover

Swap, sell S2, buy S1 with higher spec engine?

If you’re a trader, like said, you could sell the S2 ofr more.

If you’re a collector, the S1 is going to be much more special in 10 years time.

If you’re an enthusiast and driver you know which one you like

It’s like a wife, some people would swap the missus when presented with a younger offer.
BUT, some would realize the older one actually had a few tricks up her sleeve that the young one can’t match. And then you start wanting her back. But it’ll cost you more, someone else has used her now, and it’s not the same…

If you’re a collector, the S1 is going to be much more special in 10 years time.

It’s like a wife, some people would swap the missus when presented with a younger offer.
BUT, some would realize the older one actually had a few tricks up her sleeve that the young one can’t match. And then you start wanting her back. But it’ll cost you more, someone else has used her now, and it’s not the same…

Great analogy!

Lots of cars are now more valuable in original mk1 guise and are or will be classics in the future.
Heres a few examples i can think of, mk1 rs2000, mk1 mini cooper s, s1 rs turbo, mk1 mr2, sierra cosworth, audi quattro turbo, s1 e-type jag, mk1 golf gti, peugeot 205 gti, clio williams, mazda mx5, bmw m3.

Surely s1 exiges will be the same (provided they still have the original engine)

Lots of cars are now more valuable in original mk1 guise and are or will be classics in the future.
Heres a few examples i can think of, mk1 rs2000, mk1 mini cooper s, s1 rs turbo, mk1 mr2, sierra cosworth, audi quattro turbo, s1 e-type jag, mk1 golf gti, peugeot 205 gti, clio williams, mazda mx5, bmw m3.

Surely s1 exiges will be the same (provided they still have the original engine)

I don’t think this works quite the same with Lotus eg Mk3 seven Vs the rest, Elan Sprint or S3 Vs the rest, Europa Special over t/c or renault versions, Esprit turbo HC vs earlier variants (or V8 vs other ‘new shape’) etc. I suppose one exception is the Mk1 Lotus cortina, but then the Mk2 was never really raced (was it?).

Future value isn’t really the reason for owning a Lotus though. Best leave that for the Ferrari owning poseurs/wimps who never drive the car.

Tim.

Says “Mr Hedger Bets”

By the way, I really like the colour of your “development” car

Awesome.

That is the single greatest post ever placed on this forum.

I guess it’s all downhill from here on.

Wow, it only took me 2403 posts to come up with a good one!

We look forward to post 4806 for the next one

Future value isn’t really the reason for owning a Lotus though. Best leave that for the Ferrari owning poseurs/wimps who never drive the car.

Tim. [/quote]

I actually went to my local dealer to buy a Ferrari that he had advertised, saw an Exige and decided to buy that instead!

Met once a dentist who I thought was obviously into cars, because of the Porsche pictures in his wall, his car and some competition ones.

So I asked how he was getting along with the Porsche and he replied, don’t have it anymore, sold it.
-why?
-had it for a couple of years and barely drove it. Didn’t want to put on miles in such a low mileage example.

…WTF? it was just a 911, and there are plenty!

100% poser

Hate to say this but mine is in as new condition as youll ever find an S1, low miles and absolutely pristine so I kind of know what he means…BUT im just waiting for a sunny dry day to get it out, honest gov!

BUT there’s a big difference, you’re not trying to sell it, AND the Exige is much more exclusive than a normal 911