Working under the car

How do people raise the car to work underneath?
I have a pair of ramps but don’t think I can reverse up them as the front splitter will ground. Can I jack up each side and place the ramp and axel stand under each side alternately.

Any tips hints.

Can’t afford hoist or pit.

Some blocks of wood under the front wheels, behind in this case will prevent the splitter from grounding. Just that when the nose tilts down you have 2-3cm’s of additional clearance.

However jacking up is safer if you do not have your ramps secured to the ground, i almost spat one out the front the first time i drove it up, amusing yes but not fun.

I had no problem getting it on my ramps (Well, not actually mine. I nicked them off my father in law).

What do you mean “can’t afford a pit”? All you need is a spade

Spinach!

Neighbours see me digging holes again they’ll stop believing my story about Fiona being on holiday.

You want one of Geary’s low level jacks… just the ticket

Got a low level jack, but don’t want to work under a car on jacks (they do fail sometimes). I’ll try jacking each side then put blocks/ramps underneath.

Cheers

How do people raise the car to work underneath?
I have a pair of ramps but don’t think I can reverse up them as the front splitter will ground.

Have you tried the ramps. I’m the same as Brendan, ie, the car can be reversed upthem quite easily without scraping the front splitter. I place the rears of mine square against the kerb before reversing up them so that there is no danger of them moving. Can’t see how they could be spat out except when coming off them…if anything driving up them should “pull” them under the wheels.

The only trick is to do it as slowly/gentely as possible but without burning your clutch out!

Yes, just try them out and get Fiona to watch your splitter as you go.