Workhorse recommendation

My Audi A4 170 Technik Avant is coming up for replacement. It has been a solid workhorse and very economical on tyres, service and fuel (until it was recalled and remapped) but it is a very dull drive, 60k miles so I think it is worn as I am sure it was better when new. Worst of all, its metallic beige, which is my fault for not testing the car or caring what colour it was when it was ordered.

I need a car that seats 4 including my son who is 6ft, 3inch. I must be able to fold down the seats and get my track bike in the back without removing the wheels. It also needs to take our Labrador on journeys and maybe tow a trailer with a Caterham or Exige on the back. My son suggested a Range Rover so I went to the dealers and found 84k reasons why that was a bad idea. I have tried an f-pace but it did not tick my boxes, being slow and leans and bumpy all in one go. I drive 15k mikes p.a., fuel economy is therefore an issue. I want an Aston (not new) but it does not meet the practical requirements.

There is no Jag Xf Brake at the moment (I have had many Jag s-tyre Rs and loved them) so I am seriously thinking about a BMW 3 series touring. As I live in the Peak District I need a car that is ok in the snow and ice, are they better than if old? 3 series is such an obvious choice and I do like the non obvious, like Lotus over Porsche.

What do Exige bods drive? I am telling my son that I plan to get a Fiat Panda, he promises to never ask for a lift in it and he would rather walk, which is a positive point for Panda.

Unless xdrive ALL BMWs are absolutely f@#king s@#t in snow.
I worked for them for 20 years doing 40_50k per year. Tried all models from 116 to 850csi Inc all m cars from 1990 onwards

My old 530D touring with winter tyres was mega in the snow. Winter tyres on a set of the smallest cheap BMW 5 series alloys turned the car into something that would out climb so called 4x4’s in the snow on their normal road tyres.

Agree with the above. SeanB had a new 135 that couldn’t get up the road from my house to main the road in the snow in 2008/9 ish. Leon didn’t seem to be bothered about it as we went to get his Navara to tow it out. Massive take up of winter tyres at the BMW dealership I used to work at. Good for wheel and tyre sales!!

On the flip side, winter tyres have to be tried to be believed. Best game ever is going around a roundabout with them fitted in the snow. While watching the guy behind not going around the roundabout!!!

I’m surprised the insurance industry doesn’t insist on winter tyres being used in the snow. No suitable tyres = no insurance cover.

Winter tyres are hilariously good at what they’re intended for.

Our family work horse these days is a X-Drive 3.0D BMW X3 on winter tyres. It’s a comfy go anywhere truck that happily pulls my trailer.

I had a 1-series msport which was lethal in the snow, that is why I asked. The only way it would go round corners was with the handbrake. To my embarrassment, I got it on my drive every day for two weeks with a handbrake slide. On the last working day before Xmas (a few years ago), I decided to be sensible and drive on. Unfortunately it went straight on and clipped the lamp post. Taught me not to be sensible.

On a much more emotional note, my father was in his last hours, I set out in my 1-series, 1/4 of an inch of snow fell and that was it, trapped and I did not make it in time.

I think winter tyres may be the solution but my lease company will not cover them. It’s £1500 that I do not have to pay with other makes.

I think our 18" Dunlop winter tyres were about £900. Not cheap but peace of mind no matter what the weather.

Yeah as John says my 135i was comically bad in the snow on regular tyres. I’m also a fan of winter tyres, great things.

I use a Jaguar Sportbrake for day to day use, a new model is due late 2017, hopefully with four wheel drive. I recently tried the new Volvo V90 which is available in four wheel drive and twin turbo 235 bhp, it would certainly tick all your boxes. It’s a handsome car and drives well for a large estate. Worth a look. http://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-models/v90

They are a legal requirement in some European countries during the winter and tyres are checked for the correct markings.

Sadly a number of UK insurers still require their use to be declared as they consider it a ‘modification’…

We use winter tyres on our Q3 in the winter and I ring the insurance company every year to tell them, just seems sensible.
Considered an SQ5?

I was in a Golf GTE in norway on snow tyres, and a few times I was climbing up the seat as a passenger thinking it wasn’t going to stick

I had winter tyres on my Mini GP2, remember sailing past a few 4x4 wondering what they are doing, a complete must on a 2wd car in the winter in my mind :wink:

That V90 looks good.

It does, I would never of thought of setting foot in a Volvo dealer, that’s the sort of idea I am looking for. Any more?

Merc CLS?

Just spec’d one of those V90s. Even having an XC60 wouldn’t have considered one, but now I’m quite liking it.

I was thinking about a Golf-R estate as our family of 5 workhorse. My Missus said it looked too blingy and that she likes her S-Max. If one of those cracking lease deals comes up on the latest model year I might just order a low-key one and surprise her. Anyways Golf is supposed to be all the car anyone needs isn’t it? There’s also the Seat Leon equivalent too.

once the kids have had at it for week it won’t be blingy :smiley:

Mentioning the Golf R reminded me of this. Next door has just bought a Mercedes Vito Crew Van. Whole family love it and if going out together they now favour it over their Golf R. The eldest gets his MX bike in the back, so you should have room for a track bike with its wheels still on. :slight_smile: