Winter Car Storage

Rather than running the dehumidify all winter this year I am thinking of getting a Carcoon/Air Chamber unit.

Anyone used these and which they recommend?

I have a Cair-o-port that I used when my car was in temporary storage. Overall it was excellent so I’d be happy to recommend the idea rather than a dehumidifier. A couple of improvements I made were to insulate the floor with foam tiles and I upgraded the fans. The tiles help hugely to stop condensation as the car’s low ground clearance isn’t ideal for good air flow. The fans are standard computer type units, so I fitted higher flow ones with ball-bearings in place of the plain bearing ones that came with it.

Humidity & condensation are the biggest storage issues - not temperature - and the unit kept both at bay. As an aside, we work with electronics that are prone to moisture ingress and a good flow of air is far more effective to remove it than heat; indeed the latter can cause more problems as it just helps damp work it’s way further in rather than removing it.

One of the problems with dehumidifiers is that - unless the garage is sealed - they just keep pulling moisture from any air that enters so, essentially, they’re just trying to dehumidify the whole street! If the garage is well sealed to let the dehumidifier work, then you don’t get a good flow of fresh air.

Thanks for info bud.

I already have tiling on floors and your right about dehumidifier drawing in air from outside as the one I have is an industrial unit.

Seems like a no brainer to replace the dehumidifier with a sealed chamber.

These seem to be decent value for money and come with a free trickle charger (not that I need another)

https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/product/car-airchamber/

If anyone else is after one I will see if they will do a group buy.

Winter storage! Get it used, chum!
Last run out on Sunday?

Had a carcoon for years , it’s been great , As long as you don’t need to get to the car or want to take it out once it’s inflated, you can get others with a frame that do the same but you can still access the car easily.

I bought an air chamber about 20 years ago and it was working brilliantly last year when I ‘de-commissioned’ it. I’ll use it again when I get my garage space sorted.

Probably about to get flamed but , isn’t a breatheable outdoor cover the answer ?
Cars and other stuff in enclosed spaces are a recipe for damp.
Outside storage has the advantage of airflow.

That’s my view as well, actually a well ventilated garage. If it has decent airflow condensation will not form on the car and it will keep dry if it’s not in the rain. In Derbyshire, where I live, it’s very damp. Saws and other hand tools go rusty if stored in my tool cupboard. Left on the bench they are fine. No airflow in the cupboard. I do put dust covers over my cars but I think that’s generally a bad idea. I have lots of foot traffic for bikes and gym stuff which can easily scratch a car so the covers help in that regard.

My perfect solution is a badly built modern garage which has plenty of drafts around the doors.

Keith

Carcoons blow filtered air into the chamber with two fans that circulates around the car and also inflates the chamber , you can put a wet car in one and it dries much faster .

Bought an Airchamber few months ago and Exige tucked up in it until spring :smiley:

AirChamber by S, on Flickr

I have the dehumidifier on 24/7 in my garage Steve :thumbup:

Those air chambers are fantastic.
I’ve had one for 20 years and it still worked fine until I took it down last year to have a garage reshuffle.

best is air chamber and dehumidifier inside the chamber…no dust and no mold developed

I have been using big dehumidifier in past Jonny, but from what I read the Airchamber/Carcoon is better solution (and hopefully cheaper to run :slight_smile: )

Downside is don’t have nice view of the Exige when I go in the garage now.

A dehumidifier will work only where its either:

a) In a sealed enclosure, so no further (wet) air can enter, or
b) In an unsealed enclosure where the dehumidifier is capable of removing water faster than moisture can enter.

With air chambers the key is air flow, preventing moisture/condensation from forming on surfaces by increasing evaporation rate.

As an aside, there is a very useful tool here:

By moving the two sliders for temperature and relative humidity you can see the effects of both. The ideal is cold, dry air.

All this talk is making me nervous, the Elise is in my heated garage, no carcoon or dehumidifier, do I really need one? The garage has airflow and is heat by the boiler and hot water tank.

Ade - if you’re not seeing any indications of problems then the answer’s no :slight_smile:

Thanks

Exige out of hibernation in Airchamber and started instantly. :smiley:

Started ok when used dehumidifier but cranked for a few seconds. This time was as though had been running.