Why no carbon fibre?

I’m am now looking closely in to how I can fund a V6, preferably a Cup model. :slight_smile:

But I’m curious as to why Lotus haven’t swathed the track focused model in Carbon Fibre, or aren’t at least offering optional CF parts, such as roof, splitter, wing, bonnet etc, seeing as the outgoing S2 Cup260 had these bits.
Makes me think there is a ‘better’ model to come that I should wait for.

Anyone know of what’s in the pipe line? or thinking behind the lack of CF now?

Two theories

1. they will be added later to maximise your outlay via aftersales, or

2. they have an issue with CF supply. I ordered a CF engine cover for my Evora way back in March 2012 with a view to it being fitted (as an aftermarket option) with delivery of the car. It never happend & I am still waiting. Apparently all three of us who went down this route have been refunded - you had to pay for it when ordered.

There isn’t a large amount of carbon on the range topper CupR either. I am guessing it is down to the price point. They probably guesstimate how many they will sell and how much percentage/profit they want from this. Also if you look at the early S2 cup cars they never had any carbon either so perhaps they are going to add some later in the life after all the development investments have been paid back. I am surprised they never gave a little bit more power for the Cup, though if you want a more track focused car then the Cup spec is far better.
You have to ask yourself do you really want one bad enough now or wait a few years and see if the spec gets better mid life. I am interested to see the overall running costs for one as a track car in a year or so. I think for me it will be to expensive, my S2 bang for buck takes some beating. :smiley:

I am actually is the process monopolising the distribution of Carbon Fibre across the known Universe and basically nobody can have it but me. It’s a case tough shit I’m afraid. My plans to introduce a robotised double clutch carbon fibre ceramic rocket propelled yet normally aspirated gravity defying Aston Villa team into next years Premership will not only de thrown post Fergy Manchester United but also go on to dominate stella intergalactic football for quite some time. PM me for a cash deal :thumbup: and I wont take kindly to abuse, I know where I live :lolno:

Pretty much as stated above, it will be down to cost.

I have no doubt they will do a ‘better’ cup version at somepoint but cant see it til the end of next year now at least as they are giving dates of next year if you ordered a cup now.

Only one real downside to going with the Cup car is the warranty that comes with it, 12 months or 6k which ever comes up first. Im 6 months into ownership and in another 1k of driving im out of warranty where as the std car would still have another 2.5 yrs unlimited…

All seem like fair comments to me - well apart from Jonny’s plans on world carbon fibre domination :laughing:

I initially thought the same as Top cat in that as the original S2 Cup cars didn’t have carbon, that is essentially what they have done this time around, although technology is supposed to move on not follow the same old rules - so I’m fairly certain its the cost issue more than anything. I’m not going to beat myself up about it though :slight_smile:

I’d see the warranty last a year with the mileage I have time to/want to cover, which whilst a bit of a duff deal, I’ve only ever had one privately owned car within a warranty period so isn’t particularly something I’m used to anyway.

The new ‘aspirational’ background on my PC is now a white V6 Cup :sunglasses:

I think Jonny is confusing carbon fibre domination with carbon fibre abomination :laughing:

The proposed CF Evora engine cover was a snip at £1150-00 :wtf:

Aftermarket parts on the S3 are only a short matter of time away I would have thought though.

Slightly off topic dare I say there’s a possibility of plenty of carbon to come in mini Mclaren form, the 4C. I’m really interested to see how far that car can be pushed and if it will go more GT3/Cup focused…

I’ve got two Cup R’s coming in a couple of weeks, the engine cover is the only significant bit of carbon on the car however they have at least learned from the Cup 260 where most of the carbon bits weigh about as much as the GRP standard item ie they are there for bullshit rather than performance. The engine cover on the Cup R is very light.

On the Cup R they actually paint the engine cover Matt black as standard, I’m just having mine lacquered over the carbon as I do think the carbon looks better, that said there is negligible benefit from carbon on parts that aren’t structural so I’d sooner spend the money on other bits and live with the plastic given the choice.

Lotus have contracted out the carbon on the current stuff.

Wait til you take the rear clam off one of them for the first time…

You wont believe how heavy they are!

If you get a carbon one let me know :crazy: