Which manifold and sports CAT

Feel like splashing some cash and looking at a manifold and sports CAT.

Have seen Seriously Lotus do the Komotec a £1487, Elise Parts at £1428, and 2bular at £1672
They all slightly differ in design with the primaries but the differences would not be noticeable on the road. Done a bit of research on line and not seen any failures with welds/joints on any of them.

As with any exhaust, manufacturers always claim bhp increase (Hanger 111 claiming 15bhp!!!).

Which would you put your hard earned £££ towards, does one stand out over the others?

Who has fitted and noticed a difference?

I think you’re along the right lines, bhp gains need a big pinch of salt - most would need a remap/ecu to see the most from them anyway.

Providing they’re all 200 cell cats, there’s probably no real difference in flow restriction, so that just leaves build quality/longevity to judge them on. Good luck getting a fair/unbias opinion on that :laughing:

Honestly? Buy on availability from a vendor you trust the most, so that IF you have problems - you know you’ve got somebody who will help you resolve it.

For me I fitted 2bular, but other choices were slim pickings at that time. For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with the 2bular, it does as advertised and the car made good power with it (+20bhp after ECU fitted/mapped over the 260 map). For a car still running standard boost, it’s not a bad power figure really so the manifold/cat should take some credit.

I would have to bite my pride buying from 2bular again and EliseShop will never get my business, so it limits me a bit for choice.

Being fitted to a 220 S with a TRD and Larrini silencer, I don’t think a remap is needed?

If it let’s it breath better, I would be happy. Certainly not expecting bhp increase above 1-2 bhp.

If you’ve already got preferences of who not to shop with, then it does make things easier :slight_smile:

I personally wouldn’t run a manifold/sports cat without some sort of ECU tweak, but I’m firmly in the ‘overly cautious’ camp. The Factory ECU doesn’t have any way to accurately measure fuelling and correct for rich/lean conditions so you’re relying on the original map being conservative enough to cope with a change in either direction, which realistically it probably is.

Plenty of people run them without ECU changes, so I wouldn’t expect engine explosions any time soon… but like I said, I’m overly cautious :mrgreen:

John I am somewhat biased as I supply the Komotec stuff, and will be installing one of the KT manifolds along with the rest of the S300 kit.
I would love to supply you with the Komo-Tec parts BUT…its a big BUT
For similar money buy a lotus 260 ECU some 440/450 Injectors and a fuel pump, This will give you 260bhp and a BIG boost in mid range torque.
The 220 doesn’t open the throttle body fully, The 260 opens the throttle far more,
Therefore there are far more gains with the 220-260 upgrade than ANY manifold set up, Of course you can add the manifold etc etc later on, Or do like i did and add wither the S280 or S300 Komo-tec kit as a complete solution

Fantastic advice.

As far as tuning cars goes, the power/driveability upgrade you get from 220 to 260 on an S2 is really, really good value for money. The 40bhp to get from 260 to 300 is totally different ballgame in terms of costs. Believe me :laughing:

Thanks all,

The reason not to go to 260bhp, my clutch and potential gearbox!:worried:

The Lotus 260 is pretty safe, Yes there have been failures on 260 cars but also on 240 and 220 as well. All I am saying is I believe that installing a manifold etc etc onto a 220 is not a good spend/return
The 260 is a far better option in my opinion

Totally agree with Dave, it is an awesome upgrade that I had on my 220 when it first became available about 10 yrs ago. I must have done about 20 track days with the upgrade (which was 288hp on rollers) before any issue with 3rd gear. Exchange box is not a huge cost and mine ran fine for 6-7 years after the 260 kit was fitted.

Have been mulling this over today.
Intentionally, I just wanted a better breathing engine, not specifically after more bhp. With a budget of £1500, as I have other things on the wish list.
With the above comments, I have done some research with upgrading to 260bhp. This puts the budget over £1500 and nearer £2000-£2500 with fitting.

John
do more research!!!
440 injectors no longer available but denso do some 450 that are a direct fit and not to expensive at about £300. aftermarket uprated pump at about £200 plus an ECU or remap and the 260 is doable at about £1500 if you install the parts yourself

More sleeping on it and I’m coming round to going 260bhp.
ECU and injectors I can fit, dropping the fuel tank looks like a pig of a job but I’m damn tempted.

Interesting that the 220 doesn’t fully open the TB!!!

Be careful of running very big primaries, my car lost HP when we went too big, managed to map the power back but needed even bigger injectors. I know that 2bular never made another that big due to the issues on mine and the total lack of benefit in real terms

Following with interest, I still haven’t got around to replacing my 2bular (which is too loud for me).
I do like 2bular but need to know it will be quiet and give me no black flags and secondary is an interesting non droney sound. Quieter is my top priority.

we do a Tullett for the Elise, they don’t have any issues with noise. :slight_smile:

Any plans for manifold and sports cat?

@type116 very interesting to hear that. It’s for an Exige 2zz engine, oval single middle pipe.

Here is my Exhaust, lovely piece of work (Tullet) if i am been hyper critical i would prefer more noise so may go back to a tubular.shame as its brand new