Which Harnesses?

Any recommendations for S1 harnesses ?

The original SD/Schroth harnesses look pretty decent, but are there any better options out there ?

Also, if you buy a harness bar/harnesses for bolt-in harnesses (to use with standard seats), can you still use the same harnesses with racing type seats (MOG or similar ?)

I have used the Luke 5 point FIA harnesses for several years now and found them to be very good. I got mine from Eliseparts.

I just use them as a 4 point on the road and the 5 point when tracking (rarely now). The additional shoulder pads are useful to stop the heavy edges of the belts digging into you, especially when you are only wearing a light shirt.

i got the willans silverstone from elise shop and i am very pleased with them. On the road the quick release works great. Black is also a bit less chav on the road…

It’s worth mentioning that technically only the push button release harnesses are actually road legal in the UK, which is why most people go for the Schroth/Safety devices or the Luke option.
At the same time I’ve never heard of anyones harnesses actually being checked for legality at an MOT.

Like Bruh says the Willans Silverstone harnesses are great the adjusters are second to none. If you speak with Willans they will make you up any harness to your own specification (ie which end fasteners etc you want) as their supersport range have a push button release if you choose to stay legal. - Pointless extra info - I seem to remember these were standard equipment in the McLaren F1.

The bolt in harnesses can still be used with racing type seats, you just need to make sure that the bolt in buckle on the shoulder straps don’t foul the harness slots in the seat.

It’s worth mentioning that technically only the push button release harnesses are actually road legal in the UK,

Heard many people repeat that never seen any real proof - where do you get it from? is it real or just an urban myth?

Thanks for the info chaps…will get some ordered up this week along with a harness bar…

It’s worth mentioning that technically only the push button release harnesses are actually road legal in the UK,

Heard many people repeat that never seen any real proof - where do you get it from? is it real or just an urban myth?

Hi Steve, It’s either down to the homologation process the particular harness is put through. ie some get E marked while others get the FIA approval. Or it’s the really ambiguous requirement for a ‘one handed release mechanism’ and something about the turn buckle that doesn’t tally with the particular wording of the regulation. Crap isn’t it.

To the best of my knowledge, the Schroth Profi (II or III) FE ASM is the only harness that is FIA approved and fulfils MoT requirements. However, I have never heard of anyone being failed an MoT because of the type of harness in the car.

To the best of my knowledge, the Schroth Profi (II or III) FE ASM is the only harness that is FIA approved and fulfils MoT requirements.

So in principle there is nothing intrinsically “wrong” with a harness and buckle arrangement.

I can find a reference to ECE R16 - Safety belts and restraint systems which does nothing to state that turn buckles are not allowed.The only thing I can see is that if a particular harness has never been put forward for testing then it technically does not have a type arrval or E mark.

Interestingly, there is as much legislation surrounding seat belt anchorages, where they are can be fitted, minimum breaking strengths, etc but nobody talks about any of the ones being used failing MOT tests?

Not sure if I remeber correctly or not, but I am sure the aircraft style buckle arrangementwas not road legal as it can’t be done up one handed, ability to get out was never an issue.

Have a look here too.

clicky

One chap mentions that a harness only needs a kitemark to be legal regardless of buckle etc. But sounds like it must at least have a kitemark only if it isn’t ‘E’ marked.

Make sure whatever harness you buy the straps can be EASILY slackened My Luke ones are a PITA to adjust quickly.

Not sure if I remeber correctly or not, but I am sure the aircraft style buckle arrangement was not road legal as it can’t be done up one handed, ability to get out was never an issue.

I think you have it wrong there…the particular wording relating to doing up one-handed specifically excludes harnesses.

Ability to get out one-handed is a particular requirement for both standard seat belts and harnesses.