Which Exige to buy...?!

Hey guys,

Great forum! Have been doing lots of reading! Seems this is the best place to be if you own an Exige :smiley:

So, I’m after an Exige S2 1.8s and in a position to buy one, almost immediately. I’ve seen 2 I like:

And

Budget is circa £35k. I want as new as possible with low miles, good spec and history and preferably one owner. Also prefer the facelift MY10 version with the different front clam and larger rear spoiler.

The above 2 I’m quite keen on, I do prefer the red one though as it just appeals to me more, yet the other is only on 5k miles and is a Type 72 special edition…!

I’m also a little confused about the Spec and Trim on offer…?! Anyone able to clarify?

Are they overpriced? I know I’m looking at top end priced ones. I’m hoping to keep for approx 2 years, then sell before mileage gets too high so under 25k miles on the red one really…

I’d really appreciate any help, opinions etc…Do you know of any others for sale that might be of interest to me?

Welcome to exiges.com

The type 72 would be my choice every time. Limited edition with all the options should ensure good residuals.

Red one doesn’t have Sport pack which is likely to effect resale especially as not having the sports seats. Also has the basic Y alloys which are the least popular and heavy in comparison to the other wheel options.

Exiges look great in bright colours but I had lots of interest in my black one when I sold it last August.

Type 72 = fab :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

So you both think the Type 72…! Okay, I do like it, never been a huge fan of the black & gold look but I’m sure it’ll look better in the flesh. What do you think would be a reasonable offer for it, as it’s right at the top end for asking prices…

Good to know black is a popular colour, I do like the shouty red one but yes I can work with black :slight_smile: Good residuals is a high priority for me so can see the benefits with the Type 72 there.

So in terms of options, I can’t really find a definitive guide to what was available and I’m confused a bit! All I can find is this:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/lotus/exige/coupe/equipment/

They talk about Sport and Super Sport packs but I’m sure some of the items they describe on the Sport pack are on the red one…??

Anyway, getting excited :smiley:

Oh and is there a bit of a buyers guide available for the Exige, what to look out for etc?

I’m thinking the Type 72 might’ve been tracked as the tow eye thing is protruding from the front bumper and it has race harnesses which I’m assuming were added as an aftermarket thing?

Lotuses were made to be tracked so nothing to be worried about if it has been looked after properly.

Tracked cars are invariably well looked after. If you do track an Exige then full harnesses will always help. Also, if you haven’t done track days, you’ll be amazed at how capable these cars are when pushed hard.

Jolly good point :smiley:

I guess as long as it’s been well looked after, SH up together etc then should be fine :slight_smile:

Welcome!! Get one of them bought you won’t regret it.

For me it would be the Type72 all day long. Graham (661) has one and it is a stunner :sunglasses:

to be fair Grahams is one-of-one type 72 as it’s real gold on the stripes!

Love the type 72 my favourite special edition :slight_smile:

hi and welcome,

type 72 would be my choice also.

as said, it has all the nice bits on it already and will not only hold it’s value the best but will sell easily too.

don’t mess around with it though, just leave as is for the best part, rear can, better brake pads, that is all you will need :slight_smile:

Both look great, on the 72 bargaining points may be

Service history, no mention in the ad so may not be FLSH?
Tyres - not sure if the 72 came with something different than other Exiges, but they are not the usual 048’s, given that it’s probably on its second set after 5k, they should be in good shape though!

Type 72 every time.

@op

Welcome. Good luck with whatever one you end up on. I do need to point out that if you think red is shouty, you need to see a few more colours :stuck_out_tongue:

And another vote for the type 72. I might be biased but for me this model was the best looking S2 Exige. I used to have one and still miss it.

Car Car!! by Thomas Cunningham, on Flickr

The only problem with them is the paint it is very very soft and scratches so easy, you only have to look at it from the wrong angle and it scratches.

this was my fav S2

Another vote for the Type 72. The red one seems over priced to me, which is probably a result of it being at a larger dealer than the 72.
I bought from Paul Matty, nice bunch of guys :clap:

If it was me I would try and find a nice RGB , they are 260hp and the final everything on it edition .

Well I went ahead and bought the Type 72 yesterday :slight_smile:
Cant wait to go and pick it up now!

Thanks everyone for your help, I’m looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you in the future!

I’ll get some pictures up when I collect it in a weeks time

@moomin Paul told me he had been trying to get an RGB for the past 6 months but didn’t have any leads on one at the moment.