Where and which slicks?

Hello, I seek 4 slicks (event. also maybe rims not too expensive) for my Exige. I would like to make 3-4 trackdays per year, for the pleasure. Which is CURRENTLY the cheaper place to order these tires (I think Yokohama), and especially which compound you advise me, for an sport-amateur use? Do you have other councils for the slicks? JOP many news on: www.elise.ch - /membres/Jonathan/

JOPSorry no idea about the slicks, but the pictures of your car are excellent, did the car come like that or have you done all the mod’s yourself. Uldis, theres a good picture of a very neat vent conversion for the rear of the car.Dave

Thanks Dave, I saw it, really nice.And Jonathan, on the subject of the slicks, if it’s for sport track use (like any of us here), even the standard Yoko A039 are excellent. Even Better would be the Yokos A048 (and cheaper).Slicks would be for more serious use and you woul dneed to upgrade the rear toelink ideally (stronger because of the extra traction). You’d also need to have an extra set of wheels (ideally magnesium for the track) but then your suspension would not be sorted because of the different mass (rebound would be too fast).Then you’d need to drive another car to carry the extra wheelset.It gets too complicated just for amateur use. And then even with the 039’s you’ll very seldom slide the car (they stick really well). I get the impression if you fit slicks it would slide even less, and the day you do, you’re not going to be used to catching it.Why don’t you just finish the A039’s in the track and then go for the 048’s? that’s what I will do.Cheers,Uldis [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

I spoke to Lotus regarding magnesium wheels on the Exige, and they said the standard suspension is fine with them.Some excellent details on your car JOP, like the diffuser + rear grille.The A048 tyres are a good half-way house between road tyres + slicks.

Hi, We made each modification, with the best parts found on the market, in order to make the car even more beautiful and fast.About the slicks, I seek this solution because it becomes difficult to drive here (Swiss) on open road (many radars, much police force and my car (and exhaust) are not very discrete…). I think of going more and more to circuit, and not to drive so much on open road. The slicks would be the first step for a use almost only track. Moreover, I have a car with trailer to move my car, therefore it is not a problem. I would like to also modify the suspension for the track, but I modify my car…little by little. Do you have an idea of the best price for 4 slicks or 4 Yoko 048? Jonathan www.elise.ch - /membres/Jonathan/

Best place for A048’s is here: http://www.racecar.co.uk/kelsport/

I have two sets of yokohama slicks which i got from lotus, and practice at least twice a month and race once a month, the grip is amazing compared to road tires, not even comparable and have done the whole season so far and will propably do most of next season on them, so the wear rate is good, even though they seemed expensive at the time they have lasted very well.

Wear rate is excellent - definitely better value for money than the A48/A39’s. I could believe how much more grip there is esp. under braking. They will tear up less on airfields but you won’t notice such a difference in grip.Warm them up first, run them at 25psi hot and take some time to get used to them - the breakaway is not particularly progressive [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]You need all the nylon replaced in the rear suspension.I sourced Yoko slicks from Demon Tweaks.Had a great day a couple of weeks back at Goodwood with them.[This message has been edited by Matthew Treagus (edited 10 October 2002).]

Matthew - talk about a contrast in sidewall design! I run Hoosiers at 34PSI COLD- 41HOT - I am beyond curious how much the Yoko’s are better - are they twice as better? I am paying half as much…I just gotta bite the bullet and find out…

i tried dunlop and yoko endurance slicksthe duns were cheaper and fasterthe standard suspension is no good on the tracks were i went (spa & Ring) The Leda’s work very well. i’m using a set of standard-exige wheels to put the slicks on - if the weather is good they are 1,5F and 1,7R cold 1 wheel broke the first day so it was a productionerror and i got a new one for free big fun on slicks, normal tyres in the wet

That is a very big difference! I’ve only ever run the car on A39’s and the slicks (whatever that part number is). I’ve been incredibly satisfied with both. If there is better out there I would love to try it but I’m not sure that I can grin any wider.

That is a very big difference! I’ve only ever run the car on A39’s and the slicks (whatever that part number is). I’ve been incredibly satisfied with both. If there is better out there I would love to try it but I’m not sure that I can grin any wider.