Wheel weighs

…not that I’m saying he is wrong!

Good!

Done (and double check) on digital bathroom scales (with a newspaper over the top to stop them getting diiiirty…but I zeroed it with the paper on before anybody gets funny!).

Ian

Hang on there. What wheels have I got? Just about to buy a set of standard rimstocks for wet weather tyres, so I assume there’ll be no problem with them?
What other things have been done to the car that’s not standard?

Just about to buy a set of standard rimstocks for wet weather tyres, so I assume there’ll be no problem with them?

Correct!

Hang on there. What wheels have I got? Just about to buy a set of standard rimstocks for wet weather tyres, so I assume there’ll be no problem with them?
What other things have been done to the car that’s not standard?

Steve, out of interest, why are you buying Rimstocks when Speedlines are the same cost? (I’m not challenging your decision at all just wondered on the thinking)

Ian

Ian

Perhaps he (& Fiona) are not buying “new” wheels

Ahhhhh, I see.

Perhaps we’re not buying any wheels now. Second thoughts on cost vs benefit, plus no second hand on the market at the moment.

Steve

Drop Russ a PM - he will have some s/hand Rimstocks soon

Perhaps we’re not buying any wheels now. Second thoughts on cost vs benefit, plus no second hand on the market at the moment.

Cost Vs Benefit …

Accountants - spot 'em a mile away

Accountants - spot 'em a mile away

[image]http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/wallpaper/images/keith_alig_640.jpg[/image]

I have PMed Russ, wheels not available yet, and may end up being too expensive anyway. A relook at our cash flow projection means we can’t afford full priced ones (ps I’m not an accountant - honest)

Steve, sorry I’ve been away for a couple of days. I don’t want to alarm you. As I said, there should be no problem with your wheels as things are. However I would suggest you don’t use slicks on these wheels unless you correct the offset using a spacer or brake disks with a thicker bell.

If you do buy another set of wheels with the correct offset it would be ideal to use them for your grippier tyres, and your existing rims would be best used for your wet/winter tyres.

Steve

I bought some “ex-motorsport” ie Rimstocks in 2002. I have subsequently used these on both road & track - as tyres wear out I put new ones on my then current spare rims. I have never used spacers, always use Yoko 48s & do 10-15 trackdays a year, & never had a problem.

However, as others on here (read: Driving Gods) regularly point out, I do drive like a wuss, so my experience is probably not representative

On my stock wheels I have managed to rub the sides of the chassis, evident by a 5" semicircular black imprint on each side. This is in the aluminum part of the frame.

Consequently I have arranged for my rear alloy bells to be machined 3mm thicker to create the extra standoff needed.
No more rubbing.

I can only imagine that the Rimstocks are the same offset as the Speedlines. In that case the 3mm extra has proved good, no rubbing either.

I’ve had rubbing back there too (with 48s).

Ian

I’ve had rubbing back there too

You don’t know how wrong that sounded