What should be checked when doing frequent track?

I’ve started using my car (06 exige s) more frequently on trackdays. I appreciate that there are certain parts of the suspension that are going to be under more pressure. Does anyone have any recommendations of parts that should be upgraded apart from the actual shocks?

Also is it possible if you buy adjustable dampers to adjust them without removing the wheels?

Toe links are important, maybe add the Lotus Motorsport brace as well.

Agree with 21TonyK on rear brace

Also check out this link ref toe links Check your toe link! | The Lotus Cars Community

Yep adjustable dampers can be adjusted with wheels on

Know somebody who is selling adjustable sports pack Bilsteins of an 06 Exige with Eibach springs only done 6000 miles

Think he is looking for about �300 for the complete set

http://www.grouplotus.com/staticfiles/docs/lotus_sport/Pre-Track_Check_List.pdf

The tow link inner joints are rubbish, the later ones seem better, but check them after each trackday, the early ones seemed to last a few trackdays, the later ones I have not worn out yet.
however some more aggresive driver who use the kirbs a lot will kill a set in a trackday on a 2-11.

Cheers guys, seeing as i’ve done 4 tracks in the last few months i better get the under trays off and get them checked. I’ll look into that brace as well.

Balboa thanks for the offer on the shocks but I’m feeling a little broke at the moment. Paying for all these tracks :slight_smile:

You dont need the under tray off to check for play in the toe links…

Jack the car up on one side at a time and just grab the rear wheel and try and move it left to right. If there is any play in there you will feel it through your hands as it goes donk, donk, donk slightly as you wiggle it back and forwards. You may not be able to see the movement but you will feel it…

[quote=TarmacTerrorist]You dont need the under tray off to check for play in the toe links…

Jack the car up on one side at a time and just grab the rear wheel and try and move it left to right. If there is any play in there you will feel it through your hands as it goes donk, donk, donk slightly as you wiggle it back and forwards. You may not be able to see the movement but you will feel it… [/quote]

Good advice, certainly the easiest way to spot it.

Things I’ve learned:

1. Wheel Nuts - can work them self loose on track due to heat
  2. Brake Pads - can go un-noticed and its not great finding out you need new pads when your about to do a track day
  3. Brake Discs - check for cracks, depending on the pads your using I’ve seen many discs crack under heat.
  4. Toe Links - as described above, very important. You don’t want to have a failure on/off track or driving home.
  5. Geometry - if you’ve had off’s or spins on track day its very easy to knock the alignment out which can a big impact on handling.
  6. Exhaust bolts/clamps - heat from track days can loosen the fixings.

Edit: I would also check for oil traces on the undertray. My oil cooler pipes came undone once and that ruined a track day. Simply tightening them back up fixed the issue. Oil tends to look worse than it is unless its dripping out and causes puddles.
  1. Wheel Nuts - can work them self loose on track due to heat
  2. Brake Pads - can go un-noticed and its not great finding out you need new pads when your about to do a track day
  3. Brake Discs - check for cracks, depending on the pads your using I’ve seen many discs crack under heat.
  4. Toe Links - as described above, very important. You don’t want to have a failure on/off track or driving home.
  5. Exhaust bolts/clamps - heat from track days can loosen the fixings.

Yep always

After every track day I jack up the car romove the wheels wash & check all I can see…dampers, drive shafts, steering, arb, missing screws & bolts from the under tray and liners on top of what blacktoy wrote as well as tyre pressures, basic fluid checks and pipes which are easy to see on my NA…And by the time I’ve reached my third or fourth bottle of beer I’ve even got the car washed!

On the drive of course :wink:

Wow, I dont do hardly any of that … feel guilty now.

I just check oil, coolant and wheel nuts. Thats it. I will take note of the above.

I don’t know I just do it as one of those summer evening or weekend jobs when I need to chill out.

just as precautionary action you also want to change out the allen capped bolts which hold the uprights to the wishbones (2 on each corner), at least once a year if your a regular track dayer <10 per year, change more often if you do more.

They cost pennies to replace and are easy to do, I have seen them fail on both standard and modified cars…

Cheers, great stuff there guys. Good advice on checking the play on those joints. I’ll be doing that soon. Also think i better change those allen bolts. I’m feeling like i’ve been really slack now.

Now more trackdays…

:slight_smile:

[quote=TarmacTerrorist]just as precautionary action you also want to change out the allen capped bolts which hold the uprights to the wishbones (2 on each corner), at least once a year if your a regular track dayer <10 per year, change more often if you do more.

They cost pennies to replace and are easy to do, I have seen them fail on both standard and modified cars… [/quote]

Don’t suppose you have a part number do you? I am a bit scared now, mine have never been changed! Is it both front and rear?

I dont sorry, they are just std allen cap bolts and available from any good nut and bolt supplier. IIRC the factory fit 8.8 rated bolts but Im sure we replaced and use 10.9’s.

Its the rears that are most vunerable but as said the bolts cost pennies so just change them all out together.

this is the front cap heads

Bolt, M10 x 40, 10.9G, cap hd., steering arm to hub
carrier
part no A117W7211F 2off them needed

Bolt, M10 x 60, 10.9G, cap hd., steering arm to hub
carrier
part no A117W7213F 2off them needed

this is the rear cap heads

Bolt, M10 x 50, 10.9G, cap hd., carrier to hub carrier
part no A117W7212F 4off them needed

Wayne…

:slight_smile:

Guys

I ordered this brace as it looks better than the Lotus one and is better value for money.
http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=090101&product=FMLOTRBK

I’ll let you know how easy it’s to fit and what the quality is like when it arrives.