What brake fluid??

Just fitted braided brake lines to my car today so will be going to halfords in the morning to buy some brake fluid. Just read the service manuel and it says not to use DOT 5 only dot 3 or 4. So whats the best brake fluid to use? Also any tips on bleeding the brakes? I plan to bleed the clutch hose 1st then the passenger rear wheel, drives rear wheel, passenger front wheel and finish with the drivers front. Will also be using an easy bleed kit.

Thanks

Doubt you’ll get the preferred fluid from Halfords

Top stuff is Castrol SRF at around �43 per litre - try Redline Motorsports Tel: 01606 737500 (Andy or Tim)

If you need some fluid then DOT 5.1 is OK, as Pesky says, Castrol SRF is the preferred choice

Anyway, standard bleeding jobbie except the fronts you have to invert the caliper, so it needs to come off of the hub… It’s best to stick a bit of wood betweent he pistons so they don’t pop out or anything terrible!

Cstrol SRF may be the best, highest boiling point, but you’ll never get to that sort of temps in the fluid, so… they’re really overkill.

I know Pesky likes it (and others, for peace of mind) but I’m as heavy on the brakes as any guy that is very heavy on the brakes, and I use Castrol Response Plus.
It’s better than a DOT 4, but not 5.1 (5 is the od one here, silicon based, absolutely don’t go there)

So, response Plus, available in Halfords, and costs about 11 quid’Liter.

If there’s somebody in this forum that’s heavier on the brakes than I am, and that has managed to overcome the limits of the Response Plus, plase set me straight.

Thanks Guys I will go out looking for the Castrol Response plus 2mo!

FWIW… i’m also on the Halfords Castrol Response plus and like it.

Ah that’s just because in the hight of summer the ambient temp up there is about -15C

Cstrol SRF may be the best, highest boiling point, but you’ll never get to that sort of temps in the fluid, so… they’re really overkill.

I know Pesky likes it (and others, for peace of mind) but I’m as heavy on the brakes as any guy that is very heavy on the brakes, and I use Castrol Response Plus.
It’s better than a DOT 4, but not 5.1 (5 is the od one here, silicon based, absolutely don’t go there)

So, response Plus, available in Halfords, and costs about 11 quid’Liter.

If there’s somebody in this forum that’s heavier on the brakes than I am, and that has managed to overcome the limits of the Response Plus, plase set me straight.

I just put the synthetic stuff in the Elan Sprint clutch and brakes - cant remember what spec it was. Certainly Castrol in a silver 1l bottle for a tenner from Halfrauds. I was ‘Castrol XXX’ but cant remember which letters - I will have to look when I get home. The brakes feel great now - hope it’s not the wrong stuff or I’ll be panicking!!!

I set off down a hill after an S2 yota powered Exige last weekend and ended up with the brake pedal hitting the carpet after a couple of bends!!! Hence putting in the synthetic this weekend

I’m off to get some more on the way home for the Exige as I have a set of braided hoses to fit too. Better make sure it’s response plus!!!

Forgive my ignorrance but whats up wi the silicon stuff?

Here, have a look at this thread (select show all, about halfway down)
It is a past discussion and explains very well the different DOTs

cheers matey

For info I called at another Halfrauds and got some Castrol Response Synthetic DOT4 �8.00 for 1L

Checked the one at home and that is in a slightly darker grey bottle and is Castrol Response Super DOT4 Synthetic and that was a tenner for 1L ???

Anyway brakes are superb (for 30 something years old!!!) on the Elan so I am happy

Both branches only stocked one of the two types???

hope this helps

ta

Simon

Cool - just read the thread - very informative as always.

I blasted nearly the full bottle through system. Cant see the point in saving any. Even the SRF is cheaper than a decent round in some poncy club etc…

Wise words smashy etc…

I thought it was called Response Plus, but it may be then the Response Super DOT4.
Need to go and visit my bottle more often.

Confession: since I installed this fluid, and after about 30 trackdays I haven’t bled the system once.

Still the same fluid and the brakes are spot on.

I’m sure the procedure I use of widing the caliper pistons all the way back (with the spreader tool) and re-pumping back, drives any possible bubble up to the reservoir, because I do this every time I change brake pads (about every 2K-3K miles, depending on use) the brakes feel as solid as ever.