Wetter the better!

My dear wife has booked me in at Mira wet handling track mid Feb. Anyone else planing to take a spin? The following link gives some really good info on the track… can’t wait… World-class Vehicle Engineering, Test and Development - HORIBA MIRA

Both David and myself are going (David has been several times before - but then he is a crap driver!!!) Do you have an actual date?

Looks like Sat 17th Feb at the moment. ps. I bet I’m crapper.

So are either of you going on the 17th then?

No, I’ve not been given a date yet.I think as many have been cancelled due to the cold weather, I’ve been shunted along the queue a bit.

I have rung up yet to get a date…but fancy leaving it until March/April when hopefully we have some really nice weather.

I’d be interested to read what you think about the course. I’m booked in on the 25th Feb so it would be good to read an up to date view of the event.

No probs, I’ll do a full review when I return - that’s if B&C can fix my motor on time!

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:I have rung up yet to get a date…but fancy leaving it until March/April when hopefully we have some really nice weather.Sounds sensible. I went last year when the weather was a bit cold a damp and you spend most of the time with the blower on full blast trying to demist the windscreen (and the side windows since thats what you look out of much of the time!!!)On the other hand if it’s a really warm day you’ll fry cos you won’t want to open the windows!!!

I suppose REALLY nice weather in March/April is expecting a bit much…hadn’t thought about not opening the side windows - is there alot of spray?

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:I suppose REALLY nice weather in March/April is expecting a bit much…hadn’t thought about not opening the side windows - is there alot of spray?It’s not a monsoon but you would definitely get wet if you opened the windows.Also budget for spending the next day washing your car to remove all the dried water marks

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:I suppose REALLY nice weather in March/April is expecting a bit much…hadn’t thought about not opening the side windows - is there alot of spray?I wouldn’t want to do it on a hot day, that’s for sure.April seems good.

It looked like it was MIRA on Driven last night…they were testing tyres…I think that there is a second installment next week as well.

quote:Originally posted by X1GGE:Looks like Sat 17th Feb at the moment. ps. I bet I’m crapper.Come on then, what was it like? Should I be scared?

Scared? Nah.My slot was for 9am. We met Don at the gatehouse at Mira. He immediately suggested we should go and do breakfast with him at the little chef nearby as the temperature was below zero plus there was heavy fog! Not a good start. We had to wait a couple of hours there before the mira chaps considered it safe enough to turn the sprinklers on. However, this was a good opportunity to probe Don for hints and tips. The experience consisted of two areas � a large roundabout (300m) with increasing levels of grip from the inner circle outwards (inner circle is like driving on sheet ice) , and a short track � both of which were constantly being sprayed with water. I didn�t think I did too bad, well I only came off the track once anyway � at a rather nasty hairpin. The roundabout was a different story. The idea was control your car in a constant power-slide all the way around. Don made it seem soooo easy! I could only manage about half way around before the Exige would do a 360. Fun fun fun. The whole thing lasted about 2 hours, which I felt was just about right, swaping back and forth between the track and roundabout.Overall it was an extremely useful and fun experience and I�d recommend it to anyone. I was a tad concerned about ruining my tyres, but apart from some scuffing on the side they�re fine. The front spoiler suffered a slight knock when I left the track, but there�s nothing wrong with the odd war wound!- also, whilst waiting around, you can try and guess the makes and models of the cars going round covered in black masking tape!Phil.

I found the car to be a bitch to hold sideways, managing half a circle once, and quarter of a circle most often.Don (the git) managed 5 laps without batting an eye lid. Still… it is what he does for a living…Having said that, Don took my car off at the same hairpin as you Phil… no damage, but I was surprised he’d go off in someones car.Top day