wet weather starting problems

When the Elise has been standing out in all the rain while parked at the train station while I’m off to work I find that it sometimes is a bit sluggish when driving off in the evenings. It has even on occasions failed to start.Is there anything I can do to prevent the electrics/engine getting wet?Is it safe to block up the vents on the engine cover?Anyone else suffered and overcome this problem?

Not ideal, but have you considered fitting a “shower cap” overnight ?

I have had my cam-cover sealed… Seems fine.[This message has been edited by B7SHY (edited 27 October 2001).]

I wouldn’t block up the engine bay vents except when the car isn’t in use, but you may want to try an electrical system moisture repellent. Most good car accessory outlets sell the stuff in aerosols; it’s not perfect but it usually helps.

The mechanic from Nick Whale’s told me that on the Elise, they use silicon sealant round the plug leads at the distibutor/coil pack end.I’m currently looking into using the plastic cam cover shield from the MK2 Elise. I’m hoping this will be an effective way of keeping water out of the spark plug wells. It will need some fettling to make it fit, as the cam cover is slightly different. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Did this yesterday - unscrew the sprak plug cover, run a fairly thick line of silicone sealant along the edges (Halfords sell it) and screw it back on. Job done.Owen

I have now fitted my MK2 cam cover shield. It seems to do the trick, look pretty tidy, and I think it helps to smother the rattly noises that emanate from the top end of the engine. Makes the car sound a little bit more sophisticated from inside [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]