wet weather driving

Need to use my exige to travel to work for a couple of days next week.I am concerned about it standing in the car park all day if it is raining as I have experienced water getting down the plug holes!! I do admit that I have since changed to magnecours but as yet haven’t needed to go out in the wet. Do any of you guys use your cars in the wet or do I need to force the wife to have a couple of days off work and use hers. Any advice much appreciated.

Steve

Steve

You should be okay, but for the future you may want to consider fitting an Elise MK2 cam cover. See Here

They only cost about �12, but you need to cut a small section to allow for the oil breather pipes. They are made from black plastic, but you can paint them

Steve,

I use mine daily in all weather and it sits on my drive every night getting soaked

I did have a few probs with the damp when I first got it but since I had all the plugs out and seated the cover over the plugs propely as it wasnt fitted snuggly its been much better, and I still havent got around to fitting any magnecours.

The rain does splash through the top grille onto the engine though but never really causes a problem.

Apart from the odd splutter until it warms up! but then again, its a bit of a wimp in this weather, definately doesnt like the cold

The worst thing is the pond I seem to be collecting in the boot!!!
I reckon with the heat in there I could easily keep some tropical fish

Steve use mine in all weathers and only ever had one prob with water onto plugs - but it was a monsoon that day - as Pesky says the Mk2 Elise cover is a boon and at �12 a veritable Lotus bargain - bought one, must fit it one day

I use mine every day and always meant to get one of the elise mk2 covers… but i haven’t yet… so I cover up with a piece of ‘waxed’ cardboard when its hissin down. You need to remeber to remove it tho’ before drivin off…

The waxxed cardboard sounds good for now Where can you get a MkII Elise Cam cover? Local Lotus Dealer?

Also kinda related, what’s the difference with the motorsport cover (I assume engine)?

More dumb questions to come

The motorsport cover replaces the smoked perspex at the back with a body panel with big vents in.

Ian

The worst thing is the pond I seem to be collecting in the boot!!!

You really shouldn’t be getting much water in the boot with a standard engine cover. I’ve even managed to keep my boot dry with the motorsport cover!
The boot liner is surprising absorbent, you’re probably carrying around a couple of kilos of water. Just think how much it’s slowing you down
My boot used to have a couple of leaks. Firstly, the pipe atached to the drainage channel around the cover was badly attached, and that used to let water in.
Secondly, there are two holes in the drainage channel on the right hand side of the car. They have plastic bungs in them, but they’re not very water tight. I stuck a bit of silicon sealant under them.

Brendan
Where do you get the motorsport covers from? I think they look awesome and would love to change mine. Is it just the perspex that it replaces?
Steve

I just purchased one do do a swop with Russ T for his original one ( another long story )

Eliseparts and they are about 300 quid - in Fibre glass

Steve, I got an official Lotus one through Nick Whale’s. I’m told Lotus have sold out and don’t plan to get any more made, so I guess Eliseparts is your best best as Andy says.
There’s a number of ways to fit it:

1. Fit it the same as the racers: Using quick release fasteners. Does away with the hinge, and the normal boot release. To open it, you’ll have to remove it and put it on the floor. Not very practical.

2)Carefully remove the perspex from the fibreglass frame of the standard cover, and bond the new cover onto the frame. This is probably the most practical option, as it gives you a good stiff panel which works just like the original.

3)The option I went for: Bolt the new cover directly onto the standard hinge with some kind of spacer between them. Make a spacer to fit the boot release catch onto the lower edge of the cover. Use a couple of quick release fasteners to hold down the leading corners of the panel (because it’s pretty flimsy).

Bear in mind the rear visibility is truly appalling. It also means that the boot and the whole engine are very exposed to rain ingress.

I’ve made a pair of fibreglass ducts which I’ve attached to the underside of my cover. see here These direct the rainwater forwards into the engine bay rather than going into the boot. They work very well, and you’d probably want to do the same if you want to actually use your boot.

Being fitted Thursday mate!

I’ve made a pair of fibreglass ducts which I’ve attached to the underside of my cover. > see here > These direct the rainwater forwards into the engine bay rather than going into the boot. They work very well, and you’d probably want to do the same if you want to actually use your boot.

Nice one Brendan… what did you use to make these with?

I’ve made a pair of fibreglass ducts which I’ve attached to the underside of my cover.

Nice one Brendan… what did you use to make these with?

I have a strong suspicion that he used fibreglass

I have a strong suspicion that he used fibreglass

sh1t sh1t sh1t

Nice answer, Pesky!

Brendan,

I forgot to say thanks,

Ive cured the leak in the boot, siliconed the the 2 plastic plugs in the drainage channel.

Not surprised they were leaking though, 2 round plastic plugs in 2 slightly larger nearly square holes

The water was running under the inside of the clam and dripping further along into the boot so it looked like it was coming from somewhere else.

Thanks mate

No problem Robbo