Weird sound from my engine?

Hi… I got the rover 190 version Exige. And the engine was rebuilt 1 year ago (1000km)…various bits and pices was replaced with new .including the crankshaft + various bearings…

I got a weird sound from my car… It sound smt like trrr.trrll … Not to loud but I can hear it from now and then… (Been like this since I got it…7 weeks) I havent figure out any pattern yet…cold/warm /rev…and so on…due to the fuc*- weather… Im no expert…so I dont know what it could be…And its really hard to explain…Maybe its normall??? But for time beeing im a bit scared to push my car due to this sound… …

Just a crazy idea… Could it be the “Big end bearing” (not sure if this is the proper name… but I mean the bearing from the crankshaft to the pistons…)

Any help is appreciated…

It’s going to be difficult to diagnose the problem with that description.
Are you sure the sound is coming from the engine?
Could it be something as simple as the undertray buzzing? This is a common problem and easily rectified.

I know its difficult … But Ill try to record the sound…so u can listen to it… Just need a bit better weather first

Better yet, take it to your trusty dealer, I’m sure an expert ear would be better at diagnosing that listening to a digitized file…

big end would be quite loud, always there and rise with revs. from what you’ve said it doesnt sound like big ends.

Drew

Sounds more like one of those ‘bits rubbing against bits’ problems…

They tend to be related to the direction the engine is being thrown by the dynamics of the moment, i.e cornering braking or accelerating, and of course the degree of uphill or downhill slope, camber and also the bumpiness of the road…

Possible offending bits include heat shields, undertray as mentioned, exhaust where it exits the clam,and exhaust mounts in general, but you can add to the list various cables etc that can vibrate against things, and also sometimes the airbox can be a culprit… I’d also check out the alternator and try to rock the engine to see if one of the mounts has broken…

Have you had any work done recently ?? I have left spanners in there myself, so it can be done… ( Trll Trll )

Hope that helps

Have you found the ‘Yip’ yet?!

Ian

I got a weird sound from my car… It sound smt like trrr.trrll …

Trolls are Norweigan aren’t they?

hhehhe…yepp…thats right…lol…but really…it sounds smt like trll…trilll…I also tryed to record the sound but it was hopeless… Maybe ure right. its just some bits and pices hiting smt… anyway…im probarbly getteing parnoid…
Ill investigate a bit more…but if I ruining the engine I have a nice excuse to get the honda conversion with supercharger…

I’d say don’t worry, all engine make loads of noise it’s just most cars are havily insulated!

So you get to hear everything!!! As long as it sounds well high up the revs on full throttle then I’d say you’re OK

I recently had a strange knocking noise from my engine. It sounded like a problem in the top end. I was really worried about it because I’ve just the the motor rebuilt, but it turned out to be just a part of the cam belt cover that was broken, and knocking against the block.

Phewwww…

Recently had an annoying tinkling noise at certain revs. It turned out to be a couple of alloy trumpets worked loose and were vibrating in the throttle bodies - loctite -sorted - peace and harmony now restored

Any more news on the trolls ??

Or is all quiet on the Norwegian front ??

Heh…Well… not sure if its something to worry about… …maybe its suppose to be like this…and I have nothing to compare with… But Im hoping to show up at croft, maybe some of u guys can listen to my engine there… And if I show up,I was planning to go to Formula ****** (Lotus dealer Newcastle)… to fix a recall on my car… …So I will leave my car as it is for now…