Weight on front and rear Clamshell?

Does anyone know the weight front and rear Clamshells?

I could get the weight of a front clamshell without the front spoiler and side pods tonight when I get home, but at a guess about 12Kg’s

I could get the weight of a front clamshell without the front spoiler and side pods tonight when I get home, but at a guess about 12Kg’s

Would be great! I tought the front weight more than that! I read somewhere that you can save about 60% weight with Lotus Motorsport carbon fiber clamshells. But if the front weights only 12 kg its probably not worth it

Per

Have you had a price for the Carbon Fibre bodywork? It’s very expensive - IIRC about �11K in the UK

Per

Have you had a price for the Carbon Fibre bodywork? It’s very expensive - IIRC about �11K in the UK

Not yet

For both front and rear? IT could be worth it depending on how much weight you can save

Per

IIRC the �11k was for front clam, rear clam (3 piece), roof & engine cover. Original doors were retained, I think.

Are you racing, & if so, in which series?

I’ve looked into that…and walked away.

If you look at GBP/kg and the risk of damage in a race, they’re not that good value for money. It’s probably the last thing you’ll do to a race car. For the same price you can go Audi/Honda and fly. Don’t even think about it for a road car. Just my 2p.

It’s very brittle for a race car, any small bump fractures it like a crystal…
As a road car, it doesn’t paint, the weave shows all the time.

So, impractical in both cases.
Only practical if you have very deep pocket and at any slight crack you replace the whole thing.
Also if nobody is going to be looking closely because of the bad finish.

But the ultimate status symbol

I’ve not seen damaged Lotus CF clams, but given the claim on weight saving, my guess is that they’ll shatter to pieces in a shunt like glass, rather than tear like glass fibre.

I saw Gavan Kershaw’s car at Combe a couple of seasons ago, with various degrees of damage on one side.

It certainly did not shatter, but rather looked torn.

The damage was in the drivers door and the front wheelarch from memory…

I had some photos, but can’t find them I’m afraid.

Gavan just shrugged and got another set out of the lorry !!!

Just weighed my spare front clam, minus splitter, headlight covers and the side bits, 9.2kg, this done on the bathroom scales so probably some slight error either way. Though according to the wife they always add a couple of kg’s

the brittle nature of a carbon part can be moderated by adding some kevlar to blend the properties into a more flex stable one. i am working with a composite manufacturer in germany,(they make panels for porsche,lamborghini and ferrari tuning companies plus race parts etc…) and we are about to build a set of moulds for the s1 exige.

primarily we are building a couple of sets for a race car and when i read this thread i thought to offer the possibility around. a batch of parts to include front and rear clams, roof panel and splitter and doors, unpainted, would cost in the realm of 8000 euros, thats about 5000 GBP.

the parts will be made using vacuum bag and oven, so the quality and weight is very good. but will require painting.

if there is interest for 5 sets of parts these would be made and delivered to the UK. i am going over to the factory tomorrow to talk more about the subject. i ‘need’ some myself…

anyway food for thought.

Very tempted.
SOmetime ago I was looking for some of these and the price seems right.
Unfortunately don’t have the cash now, but maybe in the future…

I’ve had carbon (motorsport) body fitted for 2 years now, and although it’s a b(tch to paint properly (polymer undercoating etc) you CAN get it right. the weight saving IS significant,i can lift the rear clam with one finger (the little finger)!

also repairs are not that difficult, but like fiberglass, there’s only so much you can repair. a GT3 got my rear quarter and it did shatter! new clam fitted for 2000GBP. our carbon guy has moulds for entire motorsport body. i can ask how much if anyone is inteersted

yes but consider this. Steve B has got his Elise down to 657kg with standard bodywork. A second hand standard clam is circa �150 to replace…