Water Pump

Thinking off doing away with manual water pump and going electric on my S/C Honda powered exige race car. Reason to save the engine when the charger belt lets go. Any thoughts Rex.

Hi Rex,

Yep, thinking along the same lines after completely knackering my engine due to that very thing!

We are currently working on dry sumping mine and possibly sticking in an electric water pump aswell but I will let you know when we come to any conclusions.

Thanks Steve look forward to hearing from you. Merry Christmas to you and all on this forum. Rex.

I have run an electric water pump on my race car this year and it has worked very well. I use the 110 litres per minute Davis Craig pump. My setup has an electronic controller and you set the temperature that you want the engine to run at and the pump speeds up and slows down and keeps the temp spot on.

The best bit about it though is after a race you come in and kill the engine, but the water pump keeps running and keeps cooling the engine down thus stoping any localised hot spots.

David Harvey has run a similiar setup with his K series in his 340R for about 5 years and has never had a head gasket go since!

People have questioned the reliability of the Davis Craig pumps, but I have never had a problem with mine and David Harvey has been running the same pump for 5 years with no problems.

A very worthwhile mod in my opinion.

However there are a few things to be aware of. These pumps suck like god knows what. To the point where it will suck the rubber hose flat that comes out of the radiator and into the side rail. I have replaced mine with Ally pipe. There are a few things like that that you need to be aware of, also making sure the system is beld fully, very important and not straight forward to do at first.

Sean…

I have run an electric water pump on my race car this year and it has worked very well. I use the 110 litres per minute Davis Craig pump. My setup has an electronic controller and you set the temperature that you want the engine to run at and the pump speeds up and slows down and keeps the temp spot on.

The best bit about it though is after a race you come in and kill the engine, but the water pump keeps running and keeps cooling the engine down thus stoping any localised hot spots.

David Harvey has run a similiar setup with his K series in his 340R for about 5 years and has never had a head gasket go since!

People have questioned the reliability of the Davis Craig pumps, but I have never had a problem with mine and David Harvey has been running the same pump for 5 years with no problems.

A very worthwhile mod in my opinion.

However there are a few things to be aware of. These pumps suck like god knows what. To the point where it will suck the rubber hose flat that comes out of the radiator and into the side rail. I have replaced mine with Ally pipe. There are a few things like that that you need to be aware of, also making sure the system is beld fully, very important and not straight forward to do at first.

Sean…

Craig David pump? Can you fill me in?..

… I’ll get me coat :stuck_out_tongue:

However there are a few things to be aware of. These pumps suck like god knows what. To the point where it will suck the rubber hose flat that comes out of the radiator and into the side rail.
Sean…

I Hope Pesky is not reading this …

I Hope Pesky is not reading this …

Nope, I’m in my garage adjusting my water pump