Wasn't aware that roof scoop on S2

was entirely cosmetic. Begs the question why it’s there at all? Surely if anything it hinders, if only to a very small extent, the car’s cd figure, but still . . .

cicero,

apparently the roof scoop on S1 isn’t that functional either…hardly any airflow through it not to mention obstructions from hinges etc…which is why the british gt sport elise cars are fitted with an extension to bring intake in line with the windscreen

I believe the S2’s scoop can be opened up, but I would have thought it was less needed than on the S1, given the open nature of the S2’s rear hatch.

On the S1 the scoop feeds air down the screen behind your head. That’s very important in keeping the cabin cool. You can hardly touch the glass after being in traffic for a few minutes, but after moving for a minute or so it’s much better, that’s down to the roof scoop.

Ian

I believe the S2’s scoop can be opened up, but I would have thought it was less needed than on the S1, given the open nature of the S2’s rear hatch.

On the S1 the scoop feeds air down the screen behind your head. That’s very important in keeping the cabin cool. You can hardly touch the glass after being in traffic for a few minutes, but after moving for a minute or so it’s much better, that’s down to the roof scoop.

Ian

I opened up my S1 scoop, but anyone can do that - the real problem as regards airflow is that the hinge assembly blocks most of the flow at the rear - have a look at how it is made…

The design is such that the actual bracket has a 90 degree bend in it, which means that when the cover is closed the hinge blocks the flow…

You could drill a couple of holes in the hinge which would possibly add 30% more airflow, but the best solution is to replace the cover with one of the motorsport one, such as those we got from Angelo, and fix it on without using the hinge…

With no hinge you are miles better off, and it weighs nearly a kilo as well !!!

If you want even more airflow, then Geary’s intake extension would also make sense… It certainly helps to keep my turbo cool

There are some photos of my car from an earlier post which shows how it can look… Roof Scoop pictures at Donington

Have noted that my car runs 3 degrees cooler with scoop on at the track, constantly moving so it really helps in conjunction with m/sport rear cover and number plate vents. Just opening scoop is not enough you need to channel the air before it flows up and over the windscreen which would blow it right over the std opening.

I stuck my hand in the roof vent after the car had been idling for a few minutes the other day and the amount of heat radiating out of it was scary, it was really hot so a worthwhile upgrade for track work.

I’ve noticed some S2s have the vent open, and some have it closed. I mentioned it to a Lotus engineer (he was responsible for sorting the rear visibility, apparently.) at the motor show last year (both Exiges on the stand had the vents closed). He seemed really surprised, said they’re supposed to be open.

[quote]I’ve noticed some S2s have the vent open, and some have it closed. I mentioned it to a Lotus engineer (he was responsible for sorting the rear visibility, apparently.) at the motor show last year (both Exiges on the stand had the vents closed). He seemed really surprised, said they’re supposed to be open. [/quote

Does this mean that something has been done to improve the rear vis on the S2 Exige? On the demo I drove last summer it was pretty non-existent.

Mark

LOL, No, he was resonsible for getting that virtually non-existant visibility

Apparently it would have been even worse, but he added the extra hole at the bottom edge of the engine cover between the wing supports.

If you want even more airflow, then Geary’s intake extension would also make sense… It certainly helps to keep my turbo cool

Took a trip to Sinclaires yesterday and had one fitted.

[image]http://www.exige.me.uk/profile.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.exige.me.uk/smallpic2.jpg[/image]

Mark

How does it seal around the original intake ?

hmmm…that looks rather cool
laters,
B

How does it seal around the original intake ?

Does it need to? Surely anything that escapes would be extra downforce!?

Ian

It doesn’t seal, and judging by some of the wet road marks during it’s 130mph test last night it does leak a little.

time for some B&Q weatherseal strip eh ??

Mark - where did you get your Le Mans windscreen sticker? Looks good

It doesn’t seal, and judging by some of the wet road marks during it’s 130mph test last night it does leak a little.

But proving it works Huh

It does seem to work .

The Le Mans windscreen sticker came from Le Mans surprisingly enough .

Went out and took some pics of the car today, you can see them HERE.

Here is one for starters.

[image]http://www.elise-s160.co.uk/images/exige/DSCF0017.jpg[/image]

Nice!

I do like it in orange. A racecar colour it deserves! Lights, spliters and scoop all add something.

Ian

Mark, cool

Do you really run it without a front number plate? (I appreciate that you may carry it around in the car, but…)

Mark, cool

Do you really run it without a front number plate? (I appreciate that you may carry it around in the car, but…)

Yes.

Only been asked twice in last 3 years (between Elises and the Exige). Both times in the Exige, once in Belgium and once in France.

I have ‘broken bits’ in car!