Wanted twin axle car trailer

Wanted twin axle car trailer, has anyone got one they want to sell, seems like good ones are hard to find

Is it for the Exige - a low ramp angle or even a tilting one will be needed.

I have been looking for some time. Ebay does have some but many seem to go for silly money, it almost seems worth going for a new one. Although I am looking for a 2.00m wide flatbed one because I also want to tow other vehicles…

yes I will need to tow my elise aswell, the ones on ebay are knackered, a million miles away or they go for stupid money,I am looking to spend about �800

I looked for ever for a good, cheap tilt bed trailer and basically they don’t exist. A second hand half decent Brian James will go for 1,700 - 1,900 all day long. Even then I couldn’t drive my Exige straight onto my mates tilt bed

Brian James have just bought out what they call a “Super Low Lift”. So I bought one of those. All in with centre decking, spare wheel and a good hitch lock it was �2,200. And I know it will be worth �1,800 in 5 years time. Plus my car drives straight onto it.

IMO buy a new Brian James as 1. you know it will be good and it will do the job 2. They hold there money very very well indeed.

Chaps

The “ramp storage” aspect is a pain in the arse with the BJ trailers - especially when it’s cold &/or wet weather!

Might be worth keeping your eye on this link http://www.racecarsdirect.com/cars/list.asp?t=forSale&p=Transporter&offset=0

Mine is awesome pesk. The ramps are housed under the bed and you simply pull a spring loaded lever and pull the ramp out. Its a piece of cake.

Sean…

hope you get a discount from the dyslexic signwriter

[image]http://www.racecarsdirect.com/graphics/carpictures/Other29386a.jpg[/image]

Plus my car drives straight onto it.

in reverse right?

Might be worth keeping your eye on this

[image]http://www.racecarsdirect.com/images/picture_Transporter.jpg[/image]

what have you done to your Exige!

Agree with Sean. Brian James do top notch trailers.

Bought a minno trailer to tow my mini se7en racer for about �1700. Kept it for 5 years. Was steady as a rock at speeds I shouldn’t mention in an open forum - then sold it for �1300.

If I could have got the exige on it I would still have it but the minno is too narrow for the Exige.

They have redesigned the ramps to make the storage easier and they are much better. Had use of an older A series and the ramp storage was, as pesky says, a pain when it was cold, wet and you’d had a crap (read expensive) day racing. Overall top trailers.

Con McL.

p.s. wonder if they would do a Exiges “fleet” deal. I’ve also been on the look out for a while for a trailer.

They have redesigned the ramps to make the storage easier and they are much better. Had use of an older A series and the ramp storage was, as pesky says, a pain when it was cold, wet and you’d had a crap (read expensive) day racing. Overall top trailers.

They bloody needed too! For the 2004 season, Russ had a BJ trailer, & it was such a pain he got rid of it before the 2005 season. The new one (from a local manufacturer near Preston, whose name I can’t remember!) is IMHO far superior, not only in build quality, but also in stability when being towed. It is however a bit bigger than the BJ one, cos it also has to occasionally transport the Gaylardy to circuits. The ramps actually fit in weather proof enclosures, & are a doddle to use.

Seems everyone is happy with their trailers, so a big is called for.

have you considered rental - several benefits over purchasing one:

• no capital outlay
  • no storage issues
  • opportunity to try several in real life situations

I rent one from my local trailer dealer for �35 a day and he will do a better deal if I commit to say 10 hires in a year.

Plus my car drives straight onto it.

in reverse right?

No mate, it goes on forwards!!!

No mate, it goes on forwards!!!

with the weight distribution an Exige has, most trailer companies will recommend that you reverse it on. It will give you the required trailer nose weight that will make pulling the trailer that much easier and more relaxed at higher speeds - less snaking. This is especially important if you have a smaller trailer, ie, the car only just fits on the loadbed.

have you considered rental - several benefits over purchasing one:

Yeah, considered that. However, our local lot, “Indespension”, only hire out if it’s to be towed by the likes of a 4wd or Tranny Van - something to do with weight of the tow vehicle in relation to the loaded trailer.

something to do with weight of the tow vehicle in relation to the loaded trailer.

the law you mean

I had a Brian James Tilt bed stolen. Some gypos cut the gates of my dads garage (he’s a car dealer) cut the handbrake cable on the 3 cars that were in the way, then drove off with it.

We had description of van and Number plate, Finger prints, description of blokes + cctv. The coppers came for a description etc, and then came next day and said that they knew where it was, but they weren’t going to get it for us and we’d better claim on the insurance. It wasn’t insured because to insure a trailer costs more than the car. They didn’t go and retrieve it because it was a a local gypsy site and they said it was too much aggro.

W*nkers…and they wonder why we have no respect when they’d rather catch me for speeding than recover my stolen property…

Makes my blood boil.

Rant over.

with the weight distribution an Exige has, most trailer companies will recommend that you reverse it on. It will give you the required trailer nose weight that will make pulling the trailer that much easier and more relaxed at higher speeds - less snaking.

True to a point… if you get a BJames trailer long enough, the COG is forward of the trailer axles even when loaded frontwards. Sure enough, if you reversed it on, the COG would be even further forward, but it’s a PITA to do… and it’s such a light car.

David

Brian James own advice states:

“When loading a trailer it is absolutely vital that a POSITIVE nose weight is achieved. Loading cars of front-engined design means that the car should be driven up forwards onto the trailer until the tow vehicle’s suspension just starts to settle. (Rear engined cars must be reversed up onto the trailer.)”

There doesn’t appear to be an exception made for any of their range.

Having seen several accidents attributed to poor loading, I think convenience should take a back seat to safety. Why compromise? You may get away with driving it on normally but have you ever tried an emergency stop or swerve - when you are in a situation like this, that may well be none of your making, then the benefits of correct loading will pay a dividend.

In the event of an accident, I would also consider both the insurance and legal implications, where poor loading could be deemed to be a contributing factor/negligence.

Most trailers I see at trackdays are not huge and therefore don’t have the flexibility in loading you speak of in terms of OLP (optimum load point), which is further exacerbated by towing with a “light” tow car - the issue raised by Pesky.

When loading a trailer it is absolutely vital that a POSITIVE nose weight is achieved

Yes… and as I said, if the COG of the car is ahead of the axle, then effectively, it is. BJames are effectively advising that the trailer is tipping ONTO the towing hook, which is what will happen.