VHPD refresh - what's involved?

My VHPD has done 24k miles and appears healthy. I’m looking to spend some money on the car in the coming months - things like paint, Nitron’s & sports seats and was wondering whether I should also spend out on the engine at this stage. I’m not particularly looking for loads more horsepower, but a reliable 200bhp would be a nice number

I was looking at DVA’s website at the VHPD Driveability kit which costs about �1200, but this seems rather a lot for no particular HP gain - would I notice a significant difference if I got this fitted?

Finally, what would be a ball park figure for a ‘refresh’, which would give me about 200bhp plus (hopefully) another 30k’ish miles? It would be a shame to spend money on a driveability kit, if the engine were to then need a rebuild anyway within the next twelve months. I do about 5k miles a year which includes 3 or 4 Sprints and 4 or 5 track days.

Thanks!
Neal.

Ballpark figure for a refresh is �1500 to �1800 depending on whether the pistons are replaced.

To get to 200BHP some light work on the head would be required together with some better cams/springs/mods to spring caps / verniers to suit. You would also need an ECU and a mapping session.

The drivability kit also includes timing the cams properly so it lifts the BHP to around 190 as well as improving torque, throttle response and drivability.

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I will drop you an email with a couple more questions

Cheers,
Neal.

Be careful starting down this road… I pulled my engine to bits in September with almost identical goals to you… I’ve now ended up investing rather heavily in it with rather more ambitious power goals… Dave’s just finished building my head actually

Be careful starting down this road… I pulled my engine to bits in September with almost identical goals to you… I’ve now ended up investing rather heavily in it with rather more ambitious power goals… Dave’s just finished building my head actually

I’ve read your rebuild thread over on Seloc - impressive stuff - trust me, I’m not planning anything that ambitious!

Neal.

From what I have experienced, DVA head work, verniers and Emerald ECU with a Rolling Road session at DW’s will get you a very drivable and enjoyable 200 BHP. That is all based upon a standard VHPD.