Verniers

The verniers allow you to change the timing by small amounts, independently of each other, whereas with the standard pulley you can only change them together, and each time you tighten up the central bolt, the whole lot can move by enough to throw it all out of time.

However, if the timing is already spot on, the verniers are a waste until you do some more tuning, when they become invaluable…

Fitting the belt is a lot harder because you have to undo the bottom pulley - I saw this done and it was a hard job needing an awfully long lever, and a lot of patience - it is defo a longer job…

I got my belt from DVA - it was a Piper one, I am sure…

Hope that helps

The Piper belt is about 30 quid and fitting is a lot more - there is the bottom pulley - as Mike mentioned and you have to undo the engine mouting to get the belt on. Also the belt tensioner will be in need of a modification - and last - if you have air con its a pain to remove / refit the drive belt - so expect another 100 quid or so on top.

Dave will check your existing set up first BTW and then give you the option to carry on or not

Do you mean that if the setup is correct then theres no reason to change to verniers?

like mike and andy say… verniers are only to help you dial-in the correct timing so if its already correct then no urgent need for them - a good, patient spannerman could set the timing using dial guages without verniers.

Steve
Just read this No off a service invoice of mine - hope I’ve read it properly:
A111E63555.
Tony

Tone

Are you sure the last digit is a 5 ?? or should it be an S ?

If its an S then its the same part no. as a VVC which would make sense.

Don’t know about thick and thin belts tho ? or motorsport part nos…

Steve
Just read this No off a service invoice of mine - hope I’ve read it properly:
A111E63555.
Tony

Don’t know about thick and thin belts tho ? or motorsport part nos…

There aren’t any coz they all use the standard Rover belt
Best to fit the Piper belt and “mod” the tensioner so that you set it correctly, this mod is carried out with a large hammer to move the tensioner wheel around on the plate.

Rox
Last digit is an ‘S’
Alternator belt is SPR1175 if you are interested???

[quote

There aren’t any coz they all use the standard Rover belt
Best to fit the Piper belt and “mod” the tensioner so that you set it correctly, this mod is carried out with a large hammer to move the tensioner wheel around on the plate. [/quote]

Is there a link to any Piper blurb stating what, if any, are ther advantages of the Piper belt over standard belt? (sorry in lazy mode!

I had the old belt and the new belt side by side, and the new belt is a tiny fraction longer (hence the need to slightly mod the tensioner).

The most obvious difference is that the Piper one is about 3 mm wider, and looked somehow ‘meatier’…

The only potential drawback might be that it saps just a bit more power, being bigger and harder to drive around, but again that may just be bllx…

The only blurb is on there website http://www.pipercams.co.uk but as Mike says they are wider and actually fit the width of the pulleys so i suppose there is less chance of the belt wandering at high revs.