vacuum filled cooling system..

i was by the lotus dealer today to change the cooling fluid and bleed the system. I had never seen this before as they drained the old juice out after dropping the rad hose off, and then after replacing the hose placed a vacuum pipe on a rubber nozzle onto the overflow tank and put a vacuum over the cooling system. into the evacuated system, new cooling fluid was added until the vacuum was gone. this according the the mechanics is a sure fire way to remove all the air.

not convinced…i don’t see how this can work myself. and i would like to bleed the system further with the two usual bleed bolts. top hose and by the rad.

has anyone experienced this proceedure or knows more? should i bleed it? cheers

If the temperature is relatively stable and the return pipe from the radiator is nice and hot, then chances are, they’ve got most of the air out.
Had a coolant change done on my Elise recently where this wasn’t the case… Temp all over the shop and stone cold return pipe. Bleeding air from the radiator valve down by the passenger side wheel arch was all that was needed.

Airlock was in the radiator. Airlocks in the head are much worse obviously, because of localised hot spots forming.

Never heard the procedure you describe. Normal way is to drain, flush, re-fill, pressurise, bleed air, top up, bleed final air, re-top up - away you go.

HTH
Alex.

i was by the lotus dealer today to change the cooling fluid and bleed the system. I had never seen this before as they drained the old juice out after dropping the rad hose off, and then after replacing the hose placed a vacuum pipe on a rubber nozzle onto the overflow tank and put a vacuum over the cooling system. into the evacuated system, new cooling fluid was added until the vacuum was gone. this according the the mechanics is a sure fire way to remove all the air.

not convinced…i don’t see how this can work myself. and i would like to bleed the system further with the two usual bleed bolts. top hose and by the rad.

has anyone experienced this proceedure or knows more? should i bleed it? cheers

Got a friend which is working at a Rover dealer… so I was curious and tryed this procedure… And my vacuum was steady for 10 min+ which is nice:) (no HGF)… Not quite sure if its neseccery to bleed it furter after this?? dealer says no …