Upgrades

Woohoo, a windfall means my mind is turning to upgrades,…sod the money-pit of a house. The only upgrade so far in my 8month tenure is a sunstrip (thanks Pesky ) that I have not even fitted yet .

All this talk of Jap/German engines and better running K-Series is making me jeolous Mine is still stock at 177bhp and whilst I appreciate that this is probably quite adequate for my skill level on the track , on the road the nature of the power delivery is a bit tiresome. Out for a blast this weekend and I realised that “OH COME ON!” seems to a regular driving seat utterance!!

I don’t have the folding to enable a transplant but could probably stretch to a bit of K-Series fettling. Should probably spend the budget on handling but for road use would probably get more satisfaction out of better running (oh and a few more horses would not go amiss ).

Should I be on the phone to DVA about an ECU swap?? Should I be on the phone to Lakeside to get some Nitrons fitted? Hmmmm

Benja

From what you have said, I would suggest that you firstly go for an Emerald ECU (& ideally have vernier timing pulleys too), & have your engine mapped by Dave Walker at Emerald. Your engine will definately run better & will be more “pleasant” to drive. http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

Depending upon cash resources, add a sports exhaust in with the above, then go for the Nitrons.

Oh, & don’t forget to fit some Mintex 1144 or Pagid R14 pads - you won’t need braided hoses/race fluid if you’re not going on track, but you will certainly feel the benefit of better pads when driving on the road.

Cheers Pesky, the last owner kindly added braided hoses and SS exhaust! The car will be out on the track a bit more now I have changed the insurance to Esteem,…that is why I bought it after all. In reality though, many more miles are done at the weekend on the road.

I think it could be Emerald first and then Nitrons. Maybe put a CRP in the mix as well - better make that a silenced CRP - already pushing the tolerance of my neighbours!

I would go for an Emerald and some Verniers. You could get it mapped but the standard map as pretty well developed.

Doh, should have bought your Emerald Randy when I had the chance!

Yep can confirm the emerald… Even if you don’t go for the vernier immediatly I have a map that’ll run on a 177 cam timing

Also, just IMHO, I wouldn’t use RS14 / 1144’s if it was only for road use, generally squeal a lot, f**king expensive and in the v. cold are a bag of poo… Better to go for RS42’s if it’s 90% road. The 14’s are great if you want to 1 hour long stints on the track

Also, just IMHO, I wouldn’t use RS14 / 1144’s if it was only for road use, generally squeal a lot, f**king expensive and in the v. cold are a bag of poo…

Not heard of anyone complain before about the effectiveness from cold, of either 1144s or RS14s, whereas the OEM (Brembo) are definately poo full stop. I agree that RS14s are bloody expensive, but the 1144s are reasonably priced. They both squeal a bit at first, but it tends to go away.

Incidentally, I’ve just got some Mintex 1166s to try out.

the 1144s dont sqeeeel…rs14s do… HTH

the 1144s dont sqeeeel…

I’m just finishing off my 4th set - they’ve all squealed a bit at first - in fact, I personally don’t mind the noise

Benja

As everyone else says… it depends on budget but if you want to go the more power route instead of the better handling route then Emerald ECU/Sports Exhaust/CRP/Cam timing (verniers) and mapping with Dave Andrews should all be on your critical path this will get you to the 190bhp area.

If you need more than that then (short of an engine swap or forced induction - eg TT) you need to go with cam changes and head-work/improvements. Next thing is to look at induction and get Bernard Scouse ‘odd-sized’ trumpets. Changing to Jenvey Throttle Bodies also gives you better low rev power delivery i understand.

I havent done any of this stuff but i have lurked around here long enough to have picked up what everyone else does…

Benja
Emerald ECU + verniers
Edwards splitter and diffuser
Muts nuts discs and green stuff pads (no dust!)

Just my humble opinion
after last 35000 miles of ownership
Tony

…Muts nuts discs…

Sadly no more I believe.

Missing from the products on the website, even though they’re still on the front page. I believe liability concerns bought them to an end.

Ian

A crying shame…
bring em back Stu

Thats a shame you didn’t get the Emerald from me, would have saved you a couple of hundred squids…

If I were you I wouldn’t touch the internals. When you start spending that sort of money you may as well swap the engine and get some reliability as well as performance. IMHO of course.

D’oh!!! Just havn’t been thinking… The first upgrade is always to that loose nut behind the wheel… Repeat after me and then write it out 10000 times!
DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING! DRIVER TRAINING!

Maybe somewhere like 1stlotus.com

NO NO NO…Repeat after me:

MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!!

MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!! MORE POWER!!

Kinda makes me think… <Mrs. Doyle>Would you a bit more power dere father? Oh go on, just a wee bit more power dere? Oh go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on BREATH go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on? Oh cho will! That’s grand!

Driver training goes without saying m8! Mr Walsh has already had quite a share of my hard-earned

Nobody can blame me for wanting a bit more power and better delivery can they I am still on 177bhp ffs Part of my road brain still recalls the 325bhp 250lb/ft of my last car. Yes I know the Exige is not about straight line grunt, but a bit more power and midrange in the Exige would make a better more drivable roadcar IMHO.

Maybe I am just feeling inadequate having not performed any mods sob

Gonna quietly contemplate for a while me thinks…

Benja

Drive my 190 on the 23rd and see for yourself if it worth the money …