Upgrades & Servicing

Ok thought I made some mods and have some comments - feedback always welcome !!Exhaust - Fitted the PTP Supersports Janspeed Oval type - and replaced the CAT with the Elise parts silenced CAT pipe - sounded great, WAS quiet and engine felt more responsive - But now what a racket sounds like a tin can with stones in it - I think the few backfires have blown one of em apart - after 300 miles … [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/frown.gif[/image] now I have a fight I guess …Fitted the Elise parts gear linkage and short shift - yes it was easy - yes I have the “no self centre action” problem - but its well worth the change Spoke to Storm ( Leicester ) about the recall for the ECU and got blank faces all round … Mmmm … so no chance of a simple change to the 190 “new” version there then !!As far as service goes ( Insane DJ ) - the Lotus (WH) warranty does state you can use anyone so long as they follow the schedule exact - so I think I will use Paul Matty at �40 hour … cos I hate paying stupid money for something I can easy do myself …

MinimanThe 190 conversion blew the baffles in my standard exhaust pretty quickly which I believe is not unusual, however I replaced it with the Janspeed SS exhaust (via Owen Geddes) and have not had any problems (1500 miles)- again I believe most people use this combination - therefore it might point to the silenced cat pipeDid you change the cables when doing the short shift and linkage - I see Geary offers this as an option to the kit ?I haven’t heard anything re the recall yet -does this come via the dealer or direct from Lotus ?David[This message has been edited by David Ward (edited 29 July 2002).]

David,Yeah I put my ear to each box and tried to identify which was the culprit ( did I look stupid and what a pointless exercise !! ) but neverless I thought it was the cat pipe and was tempted to put the CAT back on - resisted that as it was such a nice day Sunday to spoil it under the back end of an Exige … but at least it would isolate which box … No didn’t change the cables, I can only wonder if that would eliminate the last few mm of play … thinking of adding some springs to help the self centering but then again I got used to it with a quick blast around the town so …Good question - I found out via Mr Pesky ( who has also pushed Nick at Lotus quite hard I see on the LL board with little result ) and this bulletin board ( where else !! ) - I guess as the previous owner was Lotus and I have not advised of any ownership change the chances are it will never come though !!Andrew

MinimanSimilar story to David. The baffles soon became shot in my standard zorst after the 190 upgrade. Done about a thousand with a Janspeed Stainless Steel Supersport with no probs. I believe they’ve got a lifetime guarantee and are rated to 200bhp.Cheers, Tim

MinimanMy standard box went a couple of weeks ago, replaced it with the Janspeed one, which lasted 500 miles before cracking and blowing out the blanking plate. Pat Thomas replaced it yesterday under warranty. They reckon excess fuel might be getting into the exhaust and igniting. He also reckons the 190 ecu replacement should cure any further problems. Also had the nylatron engine mounts done - superb! Cheers, Pesky!ALSO, are all you jibs aware that you should have a silver tube connected from the offside engine vent that is directed onto the alternator? Nor was I until yesterday. Thats why they keep blowing up, they over heat!I also had 2 2" holes drilled at the back of the lower rear valance (inside the two little grills where the reflectors are) and have had the number plate housing jig sawed out, relaced with wire mesh and the number plate now sits on a custom bracket sitting about 1" proud of the body work - looks great and keeps the engine sucking in loads of cold air as a ‘ram air’ effect. She’s running the best she ever has!!BT52 - your cars almost done and looks luverley!!Silverstone tomorrow!

quote:Originally posted by David Ward:I haven’t heard anything re the recall yet -does this come via the dealer or direct from Lotus ?DavidI have received letters from both my dealer & Lotus.

Pesky - thanks for that info, I know Ian @ Nick Whales has been away until today and I wouldn’t place much trust in Lotus keeping the change of ownership notification especially as I changed the number - therefore will chase both if I have’t seen anything by the end of the week.Mike - will be at Silverstone tomorrow for the evening Gold Track session but hope to get there in the afternoon and will take a look at the cooling mods - with this weather you might need them !David

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:BT52 - your cars almost done and looks luverley!!Yeay!!!

Seeya tomorrow!

quote:Originally posted by David Ward:I haven’t heard anything re the recall yet -does this come via the dealer or direct from Lotus ?Mine arrived from Lotus this AM

The recall is for 3 things:1/ Replacement ECU2/ Check that the front brake pipe that runs by the battery hasn’t been affected by spilt battery acid. That pipe will be re-routed.3/ There has been a tendency when the car is pushed very hard on track for the rear suspension to come into contact with the nearside rear brake pipe. This should be moved a little higher.Read this myself yesterday.

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:ALSO, are all you jibs aware that you should have a silver tube connected from the offside engine vent that is directed onto the alternator? Nor was I until yesterday. Thats why they keep blowing up, they over heat!Are you saying this is something we should all already have as a standard Lotus fitment?Ta, Ian

For what it’s worth, I just bought mine a few weeks ago and it came with the silver ducting to the alternator from the dealer.

Its a very long pipe then …

Just imagine the trouble some dealers go through to please their customers … a very long pipe to blow the alternator properly [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

Ian,This is a standard Lotus fitment,so you should have a silver tube to blow your alternator,it helps with the cooling. [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

My cooling pipe was missing when i picked the car up - your alternator will fail if it’s missing - I’m on my 3rd - however the car is running like a dream.

MikeWhat time did you leave Silverstone? - got there at 4.15 couldn’t see you - looked as if it was pretty wet all day The evening session was excellent, stayed dry and the Gold Track organisation was first class - thoroughly recommend them.Only downside was getting black flagged for noise - measured at 98.4 vs 98 limit but was allowed to continue which was fortunate - can see a silenced cat pipe being put on the shopping list [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]David[This message has been edited by David Ward (edited 01 August 2002).]

Hi DavidSorry, dude - I left at 3-45pm - it had been raining all day - the track was very slowly drying out but it went from wet to very greasy.Noise wise, my exhaust is 105dbs at 4500 revs, but didn’t have any problems with the marshalls.They might run sound tests in the evening only.The air cooling additions are definetely working - if you know anything about motorbikes, it’s like having ramair - the engine literally gulps in the cold fresh air and it is luverley!!Im at Brands on Friday 9th August and Oulton on 21st August. Alternatively, I can send you some pics of the work and you can pop them up on the sight.Mike

Its a standard fitment on non air-con cars, if you have air-con you dont get the pipe, thanks for this thread guys, it reminds me to get the kit as i have moved the alternator lower [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]