UCR gearbox

Just got my S1 back from Kelvedon with a Quaife UCR gearset fitted.What a difference!!Feels like another 20bhp.All I need now is a 1.9 scholar block with 220bhp!!!

is this the quaife 6 speed box?

not it is a 5 gear set, synchro and straight cut.

does it whine?

If this is the same as the set supplied by Lotus, it’s not straight-cut. It’s actually helical, but a straighter cut than the standard gears.
I’ve got these gears on my car, and they do make a bit of a whine, but it’s not excessively loud. It just adds a little bit of race car character to the noise. It’s not really noticable when you put your foot down, only when you’re off the power, or just using a little bit of throttle.

I’ve got these gears on my car, and they do make a bit of a whine, but it’s not excessively loud. It just adds a little bit of race car character to the noise. It’s not really noticable when you put your foot down, only when you’re off the power, or just using a little bit of throttle.

touring car stylee…

Exactly!

I fitted an UCR kit in my gearbox, mine is straight cut and noisy…but nice!

Hi chaps - just been for a nice little cruise in the S1 although not pushing it hard…and have noticed a slight loss of power - I have all the usual upgrades + an UCR box (which is a little whiney) but if I accelerate about quarter throttle up through the revs - when I hit approx 4 and up until about 7 it sounds as though something is shredding OR the only way I can describe it is a very loud wire wool in cardboard box type scratching noise ??? Could this possibly be the alternator about to pack up? I have one cool air stream facing it + its only approx 4 K miles old but mostly track O for those… any ideas - got a 1.5 hour drive in it tom and now panicing…Thanks Stu

Odd, any vibration or burning smell?

Ian

That sounds like the gearset I,ve had fitted-lovely sound-just like real Gran Turismo.The Honda boys dont know what there missing-flames from the exhaust,gear whine,lumpy tickover.

Hi Ian,
No vibration or burning smell - noise is very high pitched now as well… mmmm totoally lost on this one… its new to me… guess I will find out when it goes wrong … keep you all posted.

A while back I thought I had a belt delaminating which made a noise a bit like you describe. It turned out to be a blown plug - still firing but poor compressions on that cyl and lots of hissing/scraping type noises in time with engine rotation…

Simple to chech, at least.