Tyres

Seems as tho’ AO48s are rather thin on the ground - I need a set of rears for my S1 - can anyone recommend alternatives?

Thanks

I’ve heard very good things about BFGoodrich g-Force R1S

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+R1+S&partnum=245WR7GFR1S&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Lotus&autoYear=2009&autoModel=Exige%20S&autoModClar=Sport%20260

If you want something similar to the 48’s I’ve been quite happy with Toyo R888’s on mine. I think they’re being phased out too though, replaced by the R888R. My next set will either be them or Avon ZZRs (will probably come down to price).

Not sure if those BFGoodrich’s would be road legal in the UK :confused:

ZZRs are temp sensitive but excellent

Sadly not road legal in the UK

Having used 048s, 888s and ZZRs. ZZR win IMHO.

ZZR’s here too.

A DOT rated tire not legal someplace in the world??? Really??? Just for my edification, what is the reasoning for deeming them not road worthy? In the US, if the tire has a DOT number on it, there is no agency that can do anything about it…it is, by definition, road legal/worthy.

Yes, really.

A DOT rated tyre is given it’s DOT rating by the USA Department of Transport. The clue is right there.

They have no say in what is and isn’t legal for the rest of the world. Same as we don’t have side marker lamps, you have different airbags, different crash requirements, the list is endless. To be legal on the road in the EU, they need an E number on the sidewall, followed by a number. The number relates to the country that has carried out the testing.

EU tyres have different requirements to the USA and it’s causing all the semi slick tyres to be re-engineered. From memory, it’s a minimum 5mm tread depth and minimum of 16% tread cut out.

What he said. Mainly because they seem to last. Not sure if they’re actually as good as the 888s, they lose a bit of grip when they get hot, but I’ll take that for the punishment they soak up and just keep going.

Given that we’re leaving the EU, John, can I nominate you as the new Minister of Tyres? :smiley:

Another vote for ZZR, I use them on the Lotus and the R300. They soak up an amazing amount of punishment on the lightweight Caterham,…can’t believe how long they last!

No we need our own costly body that will largely mirror the EU marks but burn money along the way and keep MIRA busy

John may be thinner these days but I suspect he could manage ‘costly body’! :smiley:

:astonished:

Oi, how many miles you cycled by French Cols this month huh, huh??! :stuck_out_tongue: