Tyres again

Just thought I would post up some thoughts for general consumption as I have just fitted some Toyo T1-R tyres.

I’m less impressed than I was with the T1-S and won’t be buying them again. Doesn’t seem to be any grip there at all on track. This may be because they are new but I’m not so sure.

There have been some good reports on the BF-Goodrich G-profiler tyres recently and you can get them in 195/45/16 and 225/45/17 which would fit fine. Would be interested to here the results if anyone goes this route.

Chris

Why are you averse to using the Yoko 48s (LTS), which are designed specifically for our cars? I know they ain’t cheap, but…

Goodyear Eagle F1s apparently come in the right sizes.

I have two sets of wheels, one with road tyres, one for the track. I’d consider a set of alterntive rubber for the road and wet trackdays but I’d always want to stick with the LTS Yokos for a dry track.

Ian

…and isn’t there a new semi-slick Toyo out now? Saw it in this month’s EVO magazine.

Anyone tried those?

Carttman - Nick

PS: Got T1S’s - too easy to tail out in the wet two weeks ago! WHAAHOOO! Held on she pulled herself back nicely - Gave a warm feeling to the loins…

Carttman

New Toyos are R888 see Here

Chris, I’ve found that the T1-S is also rubbish until it’s got about 3-4mm of tread left…

So the TS-R’s may fare better once they’ve worn a fair amount

RL

yeh but how bleedin long does it take to get 3-4mm on em… mines done about 5k miles and 6 or so trackdays and they are still in the garage with about 3 foot of tread…

Randy - what pressure were you running on the Toyos ?

Rox
I’ve told you a million times before “Don’t exaggerate”!!

I have loads of understeer still with the Toyos, even on the road. It may be setup as I havn’t set anything properly since putting on Nitrons. Either way the overall level of grip is rubbish.

I would run 48s but with the British weather I don’t really see the point. Next time I change I will go back to 39s.

My next post will be… ‘Toyo pocksies for sale, never raced or rallied’

I seem to get understeer with the standard setup on Poxies… It may be the tyre after all

It feel like the front has no “bite” IYSWIM…

RL

yeh but how bleedin long does it take to get 3-4mm on em… mines done about 5k miles and 6 or so trackdays and they are still in the garage with about 3 foot of tread…

PMSL!!! Classic and Tone, I’d say he’s pretty accurate there

Doh! and I just bought a new set of T1R’s.
Let’s see how I find them.

Rox
I’ve told you a million times before “Don’t exaggerate”!!

LOL
i’m not kidding… well maybe a wee bit over doing it but I have used them for ploughing a field… and in any case what tyres do you think Mike Dresser uses on his car ??

[image]http://www.rallyracing.nl/news/2003/knockhill/Dscf0061.jpg[/image]