Tyre wear data...

I was wondering if someone on here might be able to help me…

Basically I�m doing a project investigating tyre wear, and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the rough racing life of a set of AO48�s (front and rear) and weather it differs between different cars on the same tyre say between a Noble and an Exige.

If not, would any of you know of someone I could talk to, maybe at somewhere like Plans or a Yoko distributor ?

Any input or ideas would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance ,
David

Blooming hard one that David.

Tyre wear on an Exige is down to many many things:

• Conditions (less wear int he wet obviously)
  • Circuit (tight bends vs. fast bends)
  • Tarmac (airfields generally cause high wear, wear as Silverstone is like a mirror)
  • Driving style (there was one guy on here that use to go through fronts faster then rears, which is weird with all the weight and drive at the rear. I guess he was very hard on the brakes)
  • Set-up (camber and toe make a big difference, and don’t forget they work themselves out of alignment over time)
  • Engine power
  • etc (I’m sure I’m just touching the surface)

Have a look in to the treadwear index, I believe it is a standard that should take the important elements in to consideration. I’ve never been able to find out much about it and for some reason manufactuers don’t often opening publish the figures.

Ian

Blooming hard one that David.

Tell me about it. The fact that there are so many variables is what makes it a great subject to investigate, I�m particularly interested in what affects rear wear, whether it�s things like wheel spin (so I�m looking at torque and power), or whether it�s more down to cornering (so I�m looking at things like kerb weight and speed), hence I figure that comparing the Noble and Exige is a good idea, seeing that they are two very different cars running a similar tyre.

Thank you very much though, I�ll defiantly have a look into the Treadwear index thing .

David

Having raced an elise (and a Noble)on ao48’s I can tell you that tyre pressures are absolutely critical to the rate of wear on these tyres.Run them too low and they wear very quickly.

Also in terms of tyre performance the kerb weight is very important. Basically the AO48’s are frankly less than adequate on a car of the Nobles weight (1000kg +) but seem to be excellent on the elise at 800 kg or less. Don’t think the additional kerb weight unduly affected the wear rate as much as other factiors such as camber and cornering forces in general.

Jus my two p worth!

Good to hear from you Steve No doubt see ya at Oulton on the 16th Sept.

Hi Rob

yep I should be there. I am hoping my drive shafts will last longer than 20 mins this time!
Must say the car is awesome though.

I see Russ has been using British GT to warm up for the real racing at Oulton Seriously though he did an excellent job. It must be very intimidating to have those 600hp Panoz and Ferrari’s baring down on you!

Thanks ever so much for all the input, very much appreciated, now all I need is some kind of semi-reliable data, not necessarily related to racing, just data of sorts.

Do you think it may be worth talking to Plans, and see if they might be able to help ?

David

I was wondering if someone on here might be able to help me…

Basically I�m doing a project investigating tyre wear, and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the rough racing life of a set of AO48�s (front and rear) and weather it differs between different cars on the same tyre say between a Noble and an Exige.

David

When Gav Kershaw was competing in the Mid Engined Series, he used a new set of 48s for practice/qualifying, then another new set for the race. IIRC Sam Blogg did the same.

The Edwards Boyz & myself bought a few sets of the “used” tyres from the aforementioned racers - & in fact I’m presently running on the rears which Gav used for qualifying last year at Oulton So far, I’ve done about 3K miles on them, plus a recent trackday at Cadwell, with Anglesey scheduled for this Monday

PS Don’t forget that Gav & Sam were searching to save the last 1/10th of a sec.

PPS The 48s come in different compounds (Inc LTS - Lotus specific), so comparisons are going to be difficult.

I know Noble use MH compound, but the Math Dept don�t .

You’ve given me an idea though, and if Mr Admin doesn�t mind, I�d quite like to conduct a quick little survey, for example, how much Bhp do you have, how long (roughly) did/do your tyres last, and how much track work; that kind of thing.

Do you think this would be ok Mr A?

David

PS. God you have cool rears

Use the poll feature if you want to make it multiple guess.

Ian

My 2p’s worth is:

They don’t like wheel spinning!! I did a few donuts outside my workshop, not loads, probably 20 or so. Those rears lasted 400 road miles in total.

I bought a new set of 48’s at the start of the season this year and so far they have done:

Brands Test day - 3 x 30 minute sessions
Brands qualifying - 1 x 15 mins
Brands race - 1 x 14.5 mins (till it broke, lol)
Snetterton Test day - 4 x 30 minute sessions
Snetterton qualifying - 1 x 15 & 1 x 30
Snetterton race - 1 x 15 & 1 x 45
Silverstone Test Day - all in about 20 mins (Maddog broke it!!)
Silverstone qualifying - My rears on Russ’s car did 1 x 15 & 1 x 30
Silverstone Race - My rears on Russ’s car did 1 x 15 & 1 x 30 (it was obviously my rears that made him win!! )

To be honest they have pretty much had it now and I will probably put on a new set for Oulton. Although they are not on the wear marks yet they are pretty close.

The fronts and rears on all three sets I have in the garage have worn pretty evenly (fronts to rears) to be honest.

My car weighs approx 715kg’s

I don’t use my car on the road as it is set up for racing. It has pretty agressive spring and damper rates and pretty agressive camber and toe settings.

Saying that though, it flew through its MOT last week and is now all taxed and I have taken it out on the road when I was testing it before the Bruntingthorpe thing last weekend.

HTH

Sean

Sean, that�s awesome .

I think I might put up a little survey, if that�s ok with you lot, and I might put one up on SELOC also (yes, I�m going to the dark side). But that more than suffices for race data, thanks a million mate, I owe you a beer (in a year or two ).

Thanks again,
David