Tyre confusion

Hi guys,

More stoopid questions

OK I’ve been search here and SELOC for a good tyre guide but just seem a bit lost

Yoko’s seem the way to go but what ones!?!
Is this right?
A038’s - Road legal slicks, bad news this time of yesr
A039’s - very good tyre made for the Exige, wet and dry?
Neova’s - Good al round but not as good as the '39’s

Any other options? I wa thinking TS-1’s as I liked them on my MR2 but they’re not great I know.

TIA!
Mark

I think A048s (which is probably what you meant) are only bad because of the cold. The breakaway is less progressive than the A039s which can make them more tricky in the wet but I found them fine. Probably worse though when the tread is low.

The A039 is more expensive, has less dry grip and wears quicker. Doesn’t look as good either (if you’re into to that kinda thing).

Neovas? Not sure they’re in Exige sizes or if anybosy has tried’em.

Anything else (bar perhaps some of Uldis odds findings and maybe Avons new ZZ-R (if available in the right sizes)) is really for the road.

I understand they do Toyo TS-1s and Goodyear Eagle F1s in the right sizes. The latter tempts me a little more (not just because they look better).

Hope that helps.

Ian

What are the cut slick jobbies? I thought they were A038’s? I’m so confused now

Are '39’s the stock tyre?

I know Eagle F1’s are better than than TS-1’s (used both in anger on my MR2 )… But just been offered all 4 TS-1’s for �340 all in!

Had a full set of brand new A048’s (5mm total tread depth)fitted on Sat 31/1. Drove home (15 miles) in very very heavy rain some of which was on the M1 with no problems. I agree it is the cold that affects the tyre rather than rain. Will advise wear rate / type of driving. Lotus technical certainly advised me to run these rather than the stock A039’s. I have purchased another complete set of A048’s to fit on my Speedline Mag alloys.
I have 2 off A039’s front (4mm tread) looking for a good home, any offers?

P.S. I try not to drive the car frequently in the wet.

A048 - new and sexy

A039 - the originals

Ian

A038s are the cut slick looking tyres fitted as standard to the 340R and are a popular choice for the tracking the Elise. Not available (as far as I know) in Exige sizes.

A048s are a similar to A038s but they do fit the Exige. Work OK in the rain, but don’t like deep standing water or very cold conditions.

A039s are the standard tyre and probably the best allrounder for road use.

I’ve had 48s on mine since last Easter, and I was really happy with them even in very heavy rain, but the recent cold spell has made me think about switching back to 39s (I do track days only very rarely).

I think A048s (which is probably what you meant) are only bad because of the cold. The breakaway is less progressive than the A039s which can make them more tricky in the wet but I found them fine. Probably worse though when the tread is low.

The A039 is more expensive, has less dry grip and wears quicker. Doesn’t look as good either (if you’re into to that kinda thing).

Neovas? Not sure they’re in Exige sizes or if anybosy has tried’em.

Anything else (bar perhaps some of Uldis odds findings and maybe Avons new ZZ-R (if available in the right sizes)) is really for the road.

I understand they do Toyo TS-1s and Goodyear Eagle F1s in the right sizes. The latter tempts me a little more (not just because they look better).

Hope that helps.

Ian

From my experience (only road use) the AO48’s certainly don’t seem to last as long as the A039’s - same route everyday, same driving style for 3 years. Just under 6000 miles for 39’s, 5000 for 48’s. At present I’m trying the Toyo’s on the rear as I’m not pushing it over the winter and they do seem to be doing a more than adequate job (esp in wet), Mark

Mark am running Toyo’s at the mo but reckon will go back to 39s for summer and occasional trackdays. Ran 48s this year and was a bit disappointed with wear (3.5k from rears ). But I reckon it may have been down to me running them at too high pressures - they do seem rather pressure sensitive. Toyo’s are ok but not in same class as the others, case of you get what you pay for. Eliseparts are selling 48s and 39s at around �500/set at the mo…

Cheers guys,

This is all starting make some sense

Interstingly I’ve spoken to one Tim Steven who sprints his Exige… On TS-1’s!

Apparently he’s won about 85% (his stats ) of the event he’s been in since Feb '01 so they seem to be work well for him.

I don’t know but maybe A048’s put the car into a higher class due to the slick like nature of them… I’m tempted to now give TS-1’s a go. All I can do is wear them out

Tim was not allowed to use 048s - class rules - but he is certainly fast, and a nice guy as well…

A friend works for Avon and has told me that they will, unfortunately, not be doing Exige sized ZZRs

I think the AO39’s were listed in the Yoko brochure as “competition wets” originally…something that puzzled us all initially…

When I bought my Exige from Rob Gibbons he had pirelli 6000’s fitted to it (he gave me the original A039 too) - the pirelli’s are a great winter tyre and they are cheaper and the rears do 10000miles!!! I use A039’s for summer - this year changing to 048’s.

A friend works for Avon and has told me that they will, unfortunately, not be doing Exige sized ZZRs

Any reason why?! I’d have thought with the new Exige there was now more of a market?

Ian

Well Ian, he said something about “strange sizes and little demand”

I guess it must cost a fair bit to ‘tool up’ for the different sizes, but I don’t know much about tyre design, so perhaps someone can shed more light ??

Interstingly I’ve spoken to one Tim Steven who sprints his Exige… On TS-1’s! I don’t know but maybe A048’s put the car into a higher class due to the slick like nature of them…

Rules Rules Rules… he’s not allowed to run A039’s or A048’s i don’t think

I’m tempted to now give TS-1’s a go. All I can do is wear them out

errrrmmmmmm you think so do you … … I got fed up trying to wear mine out so ended up just taking them off - they are fine for pottering but you really should use Yoki’s

The other reason is I’d like to do some sprinting this year and although the SELOC sprint I could use '48’s it’ll depend on what other sprints I can get in for… And I don’t want to be in with Race Cars

errrrmmmmmm you think so do you … … I got fed up trying to wear mine out so ended up just taking them off - they are fine for pottering but you really should use Yoki’s

Why is it when you want to wear tyres out they last forever? I’m glad that’s not just me