turbocharger

Is it possible to turbocharge the S2 or is the engine compression a problem.

Sorry to change the subject, but did you ever get those stripes ?

It may also be worth having a quick search regarding your turbocharging question

David

Try a search on ‘Forcefed’

It definitely is possible,
I just completed an install of a Hass turbo on a 05’ Elise here in the states.
The system utilizes an Aquamist water injection system to help alleviate detonation since the stock motor has an 11.5/1 compression ratio.
5-7 pounds of boost is what is generally considered safe but with the water injection 10+ psi can be done without detonation but I wouldn’t want to bet on how long the motor would last at that rate.
The car goes like stink with the 7psi of boost. The only down side is that there are still some growing pains as far as getting the factory ECU and the piggyback ECU to play nice together. The Lotus ECU is always fighting the fuel and timing changes that you introduce thru the piggyback unit. Most guys that are running turbos over here are continuously tweaking and tuning to get the cars to run flawlessly, but it sees to be a moving target. There are a few egg heads that are working on breaking the factory ECU code so that they can effectively turn the Lotus ECU into more of a slave unit with fixed tables and no authority to make fueling and timing changes. Only then I feel they will be able to get the system to run correctly.
Most kits are still what I would consider in a Beta test mode, I would wait until the kinks are worked out of the ECU problems before putting my money down.

In my experiance you always get intermittent on boost running issues with cars that use a lot of water injection. At the end of the day spraying water into the combustion chamber is never a good thing, and it is only masking an incorrect map.

However with good mapping and accurate boost control you can run a high compression turbo motor. WRC rally engines run huge compression. The trick is to have a big enough waste gate, to allow you to reduce the boost level as the revs rise. I have experiance of WRC engines that run over 3 bar of boost pressure (44+ psi) at around 2,500rpm But with accurate boost control that drops to around 7psi at the top of the rev range to avoid detonation.

I agree that high compression and forced induction is not an ideal scenario, especially if you want longevity and reliability and ultimatly good top end power. The most powerful turbo motor I have worked with is a Ford YB Cosworth motor, that made 731 BHP from 2.3 litres. That was up an running and on full boost at 4,750rpm and revved to 8,500rpm. That ran a compression ratio of 7:1

Sean…

I went with a Tri-Point supercharger set up 8 1/2psi…
Speaking of turbochargers my old RS200E #106 made 600-900hp depending on chip and boost levels.2.2 bar.6 1/2-1 compression 9000 rpm…

RS200E #106 made 600-900hp depending on chip and boost levels.2.2 bar.6 1/2-1 compression 9000 rpm…

COOL MAN!!!