Turbocharged Exige Pictures

As promised some pictures of the exige with the 2L turbocharged Mazda motor. Personally i think the installation is top drawer, very very neatly done.

I will leave power figures for the owner to comment on, car is going to be used for a serious onslaught on the national drag racing championship this year and is a serious contendor to win it’s class. Car is a daily driver and is quite pleasant when running in stop start traffic even completely off boost, which is very nice.

[image]http://www.bookatrack.com/-PG?exige485&2594&21889&640[/image]

[image]http://www.bookatrack.com/-PG?exige485&2594&21889&640[/image]

some more photo’s here : orange exige

hope the links work ok.

Jason - neat installation .

Has there been any need to mod bodywork to dissipate additional heat from engine bay?

I thought you were talking about a Rotary Mazda!
Silly me, they don’t come in 2L Doh!

I fitted the diffusor and undertray panel back this weekend for the owner after doing the brakes and drove it around for about half an hour in stop start slow traffic off boost, to simulate what one might encounter on the way home from work for example, and i saw 86 degrees maximum, he then asked me to take it out on the highway and test it to see as it used to run 76-78 degrees and it was +/- 80 degrees so no worries there.

However he is waiting for the rear cover, motorsport version, to be made up as heat soak is a killer when waiting at the starting line so that will help and has the sports side scoops being painted so that should bring temps down 2 degrees at least.

no bodywork was cut, and the only panels modified were a cut out for the gear linkage in the diffusor and the , panel above the exhaust as seen next to the charge cooler.

The conversion took a long time because no bodywork was cut and all exhaust manifolds etc were made for just that purpose, it is really like a factory install.

I know it’s the wrong forum should be in non k-series, apologies.

very sexy Jason, keep us posted on how he gets on… better still get him to come along and give us more details.

Racing this coming weekend in the first nationals, has run 11.06 on th 1/4 at 208 kmph if memory serves correctlt. And since then we have set ride heights and geometry which was still at my track setting from when he bought the car back to something more decent so i amsure times will improve.

Will post any times from the meeting soon after. Have sent him the link for where the pictures were going and told him that this board is the pooches danglies as far as Exige info goes, he should be along shortly.

As promised some pictures of the exige with the 2L turbocharged Mazda motor. Personally i think the installation is top drawer, very very neatly done.

I will leave power figures for the owner to comment on, car is going to be used for a serious onslaught on the national drag racing championship this year and is a serious contendor to win it’s class. Car is a daily driver and is quite pleasant when running in stop start traffic even completely off boost, which is very nice.

[image]> http://www.bookatrack.com/-PG?exige485&2594&21889&640> [/image]

[image]> http://www.bookatrack.com/-PG?exige485&2594&21889&640> [/image]

some more photo’s here : > orange exige >

hope the links work ok.

Come on Jason,

Hit us with those power figures.

What about turbo lag?

what is the engine ?

it looks like a mazda 626 engine with a turbo conversion … or did south africa get a mazda that had a 2.0 turbo motor as standard ?

looks like a nice neat install but im not too keen on the chargecooler instead of an intercooler. With a turbo that size the charge cooler would be pretty much non functional after 1 or 2 hard laps round a track … perfect for drag use tho! Should be capable of some swift 1/4 mile times

keep us posted with its progress

Ok Guy’s but don’t shoot the messanger, power in low boost day to day driving (0.8bar) is roughly 350 HP on the wheels.

Running special fuels and high boost of 1.8bar for racing the car makes close to 600HP.

Lag is a concern yes, but considering the power this engine setup is capable of i think they have done well to keep it driveable.

On the flip side though car still has std dampers and these just do not cope, with the extra weight. I am gonna try new springs, but in my heart know only nitrons will solve the problem. The extra weight is easily felt and the car looses a bit of it’s chuckability into the corners. This will all be solved soon with some springs which can cope.

Not sure which motor it is, will find out but i think the turbo is definitely fitted afterwards not a std setup. Also uses Calibra 6sp gearbox for those nice long top end runs.

I am worried about track work as the current setup will not cope, needs m/sport cover before anything more than 2 laps could be attempted especially since it is +/- 30 degrees tomorrow.

But as stated works well for 1/4 miles, which it was built for.

PS: I have been in some pretty rapid cars in my life and i can vouch for those power numbers because this thing will shove the seat right through your spleen it pulls so hard

Running special fuels and high boost of 1.8bar for racing the car makes close to 600HP.

waayyy to go Jason… ptw is incredible… i’d love to get a hurl in it