Transplants

Has anyone heard of/driven an Exige witha Nissan SR20DET engine? I was thinking about engine transplants after reading about the Blink MS Honda type-R conversion, which offers a bit more power and torque, but I think is heavier. So I wondered if the ever reliable Nissan could be done? Also gives the oppurtunity to easily increase output if you want and there’s plenty of them.
Also Blink only suggest that they will use a Honda K-series in an Exige, but they are putting an F-series in a Westfield. Anyone know if the F-series could go in an Exige ?- again its lack of VVT means that it’s considerably easier to tune (even though it is pretty extreme already), but at the expense of torque/low rev driveability in high lift states

Hmmm, interesting.
I know nothing abut the different types, but was fantasizing about a Scooby 2.5L engine transplant, with a modified gearbox to lose the drive to the external shaft…

That has to weigh about 17 tons!?!!

If not, I want one too!

Ian

…Honda type-R conversion, which offers a bit more power and torque, but I think is heavier.

I’m not sure it’s much heavier and is therefore perhaps I’ll for the Exige.

I’d like to see the new Toyota retro-fitted to the S1. That way there’d perhaps be a degree of Lotus support (although I’m not so sure the engine is as good as the Honda, Duratec or Audi).

Ian

My personal dream engine is the new RX-8 rotary engine, it would be perfect, very small, very very light (I’d guess lighter than the K!!!) and at 9000 rpm it pushes a very healthy 260ps!

Save weight AND gain LOTS of power

Or the RX-7 engine which is heavier than the k (130kg IIRC) but twin turbo’d for something like 260ps + more torque than you can shake a torque wrench at

One day… ah one day

My personal dream engine is the new RX-8 rotary engine, it would be perfect, very small, very very light (I’d guess lighter than the K!!!) and at 9000 rpm it pushes a very healthy 260ps!

Save weight AND gain LOTS of power

Or the RX-7 engine which is heavier than the k (130kg IIRC) but twin turbo’d for something like 260ps + more torque than you can shake a torque wrench at

One day… ah one day

… only thing is, everyone would call you a wnke

If they could catch you!

Well I for one would rather smoke 4 pots than sit in being a wnke

But I think that once my VHPD blows up (which that all will) that’ll be something I’ll look at

I forgot to say that I left out the A and the L so your censor software wouldn’t react !!

I thought that engine had very poor low down torque, though ??

WOuld this be a problem in a car which is half the weight of an RX8?
Does too much torque detract from the character of the car?

I forgot to say that I left out the A and the L so your censor software wouldn’t react !!

I didn’t guess at all,/sarcasm> Heh heh heh

I think that’s like any rev happy engine, I mean you could easily fit one of the new ZX10 engines in, 185bhp from the factory, 998cc, 6 speed seq box and rev’s to something 14k rpm! So to even pull away normally you’d need to at about 5k rpm

We had a massive discussion (a mass debate if you will ) on the MR2 list I’m on, about torque vs. power, we ended up coming to the conclusion you DO want as much power as possible (normally by raising the revs) as then yoube able to exert the leverage of the lower gears for longer…

Again that ZX10 lump does 110 in 1st but then there’s on 10 - 15 mph in each gear

Yes, if only the Exige weighed 190Kg…

Otherwise, with our car you need between 150lb/ft and 200lb/ft of torque.
Anything else will feel lethargic.

Otherwise, with our car you need between 150lb/ft and 200lb/ft of torque.
Anything else will feel lethargic.

What, like our std 130lb/ft?!

Ian

Erm… yes?

Heh heh

You could do a bike engine, you’d just need to change the sprokets so you had slightly more sensible gearing, 40 - 50mph out of first kinda thing…

Someone’s put a GSXR 1000 engine in a smart roadster, apparently it is f**king rapid! Again they weigh in around 750kg so not far off… As I say, you’d just need to rev the t*ts off of it to even pull away