Trackers

Following on from the Tesco Insurance thread, here’s some info on what the different Trackers are:Tracker Retrieve - You tell TRACKER when your car has been stolen and the system is activated to send out a unique signal which the police will follow knowing it is your car.Fitting Price: �270Tracker 24H Monitor - The system detects any unauthorised movement of the vehicle and sends a theft-warning signal to TRACKER’s 24-hour monitoring centre. This means they tell you if they think your car is being stolen. - Requires Annual network subscription �99.00. or One-off subscription valid for as long as you own the vehicle to which TRACKER system is fitted �299Fitting Price: �430.00 Tracker Horizon - TRACKER Horizon combines TRACKER’s Monitor system with the company’s own satellite based Global Positioning System. This means that TRACKER’s control centre can immediately establish the geographical location of the stolen vehicle and relay this information to the Police who then use their TRACKER equipped vehicles to identify its exact location, wherever it may be hidden. Requires Annual network subscription �99.00. or One-off subscription valid for as long as you own the vehicle to which TRACKER system is fitted. �299.00Fitting Price: �650RAC Trackstar - An RAC Trackstar module hidden in one of 47 possible secret locations in your car is the key to the system. If your car is stolen a radio signal is sent, from the car, to the RAC Trackstar National Control Centre. New signals are sent every 20 seconds. The integral computer, developed by Trafficmaster Plc, the UK�s leading telematics company, takes the output from the satellite signals and converts it into an exact latitude and longitude, so providing the vehicle�s exact location, speed and direction! The radio signals are received from the American Military GPS satellite network, of which there are 25 worldwide. This means that no matter where your car is stolen, whether it�s Park Lane or the Pennines, your car will be instantly located. Requires Annual network subscription �120.00. or One-off subscription valid for as long as you own the vehicle to which Trackstar system is fitted. �325.00Fitting Price: �699[This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 05 June 2001).]

All very well until your car is in an underground car park - or in the back of a metal lorry container on its’ way abroad

Davidmy old company Jarvis Rail has a quite sophisticated tracker system fitted to most of its vehicles…it was a Securicor system and IIRC was based on microwave signals given out at different timed intervals. The Control room used plasma screens showing the current location of the fleet in real time displayed on Ordnance Survey software. It was quite incredible as you could pick a vehicle and see its current speed or it could show you a plot of where it had been over any previous period of time…if only this info was available on the high street i think I might be interested.

Steve, I think Securicor do office this service to Joe Public

quote:Originally posted by stevegreen:DavidThe Control room used plasma screens showing the current location of the fleet in real time displayed on Ordnance Survey software. It was quite incredible as you could pick a vehicle and see its current speed or it could show you a plot of where it had been over any previous period of time.Way to Big Brother for me! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/shocked.gif[/image]

Anybody heard of the police using this info to prosecute? I know they’ve used similar data from mobile phone owners to locate them. Apparently the wireless companies keep the data for years!Slightly tricky situation when the tracking company call you on your mobile…“Sir, has your car been stolen?”“No”“So is that you bombing down the M3 at 110mph talking on your mobile?!”