towing off track

whilst at brands i thought about what would happen if i crashed or broke down how would they tow me off the track as far as i can see there is no towing point see they sellsomething on elise parts will it work on the exige and where abouts does it fit
cheers in advance

You should have a front towing eye, which screws into place in the middle of the front grill. The towing eye is usually stored in the front “radiator/reservoir” compartment on the driver’s side near to the windscreen.

There are no standard towing points at the rear - I have fitted 2 of the “Eliseparts” rear ones to my car.

[image]http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/Black-Tow-Eye.jpg[/image]

We have two of the rear towing eyes too. Useful when Fi did a bit of off-roading at Gerrards

Yeah Elise parts rear ones here to.

They work well!! Mine got dragged out of the gravel at Craner Curves at Donno and it had gone miles into the gravel almost to the tyres and was properly burried. I thought it would yank the back off the car off, but all was good.

I just hate digging all of the bloody gravel out of every nook and craney afterwards.

I just hate digging all of the bloody gravel out of every nook and craney afterwards.

Why? I’ve created a jolly nice patio area, at Chez Pesky, with all the gravel I’ve collected over the years

cheers for the replys any pics where you fitted the rear one
and the front one does it screw into the verticle pole thats i centre of grill appeture

Why? I’ve created a jolly nice patio area, at Chez Pesky, with all the gravel I’ve collected over the years

LOL.

The pit garage at Donno looked like Brighton beach when I had finished.

cheers for the replys any pics where you fitted the rear one
and the front one does it screw into the verticle pole thats i centre of grill appeture

no pics but it screws in (imagine it as a large washer) on the mushroom headed bolts that attach the rear diffuser to the underneath of the longerons (rear subframe). They are located either side of the centreline of the car and like others have done , it would be best to fit a pair of them rather than a single one - if you only fit to one side, sod’s law says you will not have access to it when required (buried in the graveltrap). With two fitted you can spread the load by using a bridle rope and pulling off both together.

With regard to the front towing eye - you are spot on

available in a range of colours:

[image]http://www.elise-shop.com/images/TowEye3.jpg[/image]

Seem expensive for what they are but they are very useful. Much better to be towed out the way you went in rather than dragged out by the front.

I can’t understand the choice of colours - it’s hardly a “lifestyle” accessory and the only person liable to see it (if you keep it rubber side down) is the marshal attaching the tow rope.

Seem expensive for what they are but they are very useful. Much better to be towed out the way you went in rather than dragged out by the front.

It’s quite usual to go in forwards too

I can’t understand the choice of colours - it’s hardly a “lifestyle” accessory and the only person liable to see it (if you keep it rubber side down) is the marshal attaching the tow rope.

From the marshall’s, & safety point of view, it’s very desirable to be able to see the towing point as quickly as possible (especially in a race). So to have a distinct contrasting coloured towing eye is preferrable. Mine are red, which stand out on the Edwards black diffuser.

Huh, women. Think of them in terms of shoes. Nice pretty colours and you have to buy them in pairs.

Answer-stay on the tarmac

Must try and remember that one!!!

I agree, that is preferrable…

However, after an episode at Donington (I was the first car into Redgate after a Caterfield had dropped oil everywhere), I take nothing for granted! As a result of said incident, I suspect that Mike Lane & Steve Green feel the same too

I suspect that Mike Lane & Steve Green feel the same too

Yes I do - it does not have to be your fault, look at the recent smash at Spa that we have all seen the videoas for, at the same event I let an Ultima through that was pouring fuel out the back, definitely not what you want on such a fast circuit!

Also, they must be useful for loading your car onto a trailer if you dont or cant drive it on. I’m thinking either after a trackday to trailer home or broken down by the side of the road and waiting for the AA (like that never happens in an Exige!)

Where on the rear do they fix to?

Where on the rear do they fix to?

that question has been answered already above…see one of my earlier posts…or if you still can’t find it

“no pics but it screws in (imagine it as a large washer) on the mushroom headed bolts that attach the rear diffuser to the underneath of the longerons (rear subframe). They are located either side of the centreline of the car and like others have done , it would be best to fit a pair of them rather than a single one”

If you have ever removed the rear diffuser yourself you will know the two hex headed bolts referred to.