Touring or Performance pack? and other questions..

Greetings, just joined here - Hello

Umming and ahhing at the moment over which spec to go for on a new S2…

Not sure whether it matters as far as residuals go - it’s an enthusiasts motor-car of course and that will always be the case. I’m unlikely to want to modify it too much, and the idea of harnesses (of course i intend to take it to the track) appeals to my instincts more strongly in a non-airbag equipped car. On the other hand it will be a daily runner…
What do most people do?

Also…(will try it when I test drive) has anybody ever tried to get a medium sized hard Samsonite suitcase 67x55x23cm in the passenger seat of an S2 Exige!!! Will it fit through the door opening?

cheers,
BB

Hello

I have the PP on mine and think its fantastic. Its also rarer as I believe only 1 in 10 Exiges are specced with the PP so there should be a good demand for them in the second hand market.

I looked at what you get with the Touring Pack and if I needed it. My conclusion was:

Alcantara seats - The sports seats with the PP are very comfy, look nicer, support better and come trimmed in alcantara and leather.

Electric windows - I didnt have them on my S1 and didnt miss them. The manual winders are fine and you can reach the passenger side from the drivers seat easily.

Sun visors - You must be joking!

Uprated MP3 Stereo - The more basic model that comes with the PP is good, a lot better than the old one in my S1. Also I know a lot of people have had problems with the Touring Pack one

Interior Stowage Net - See comments for Sun Visors above.

Passenger foot rest - Usually just me in the car so not bothered although mine came with one anyway.

Basically none of the stuff that comes with the TP was important to me.

The PP on the other hand has great seats (as above) and harnesses which are great for trackdays or fast road use. I also have the regular 3 point belts in mine which I use if I am doing a short trip around town and dont want to fuss around with the harnesses.

The twin oil coolers are needed if you are going to track it (which you should - its an Exige for heavens sake!)

The other ‘carbon effect’ trim is nice as well.

PP all the way!

I had a similar decision to make: I was orignally not going to have either the performance pack or the touring pack fitted, however when I placed the order I could either wait ten weeks for a car with the original spec that I’d looked at, or three weeks for the same spec, but with the performace pack in it.

I asked a few folk here about it (you can find the thread a bit lower down) and decided that it was probably worth having the performance pack. As far as the harnesses go, I’ve had them fitted on the drivers side, but not on the passenger side, that way I can use them and SWMBO can use the regular seat belts.

Thx…I think my mind is pretty well made up about the Perf Pack.

The Suitcase issue is important though! Anyone have any experience with that at all?!!

Only other questions are these:

It’s going to live outside on the street, and in an airport car-park when i’m at work. Has anyone had any issues with the engine compartment effectively being open to the elements? Any corrosion issues with hoses and unions and exposed bits of engine and electrics??

Thinking I ought to invest in a cover for the days it’s left at the airport - but is there any need for any further protection?

BB

no idea on the suitcase… but you do raise a question I have… I have the touring pack on my car, and plan to track it at some point in the future… will the lack of the oil coolers cause me an issue ?

no idea on the suitcase… but you do raise a question I have… I have the touring pack on my car, and plan to track it at some point in the future… will the lack of the oil coolers cause me an issue ?

I refer you to my reply on Pistonheads!

Appreciated !

I would doubt it. A lotus test driver thrashed a touring pack car all day (7hrs) at anglesey without any apparent problems.

Tim.

But was it a hot day Tim?

Ian

Nope. Also the gut told me he did alot of the development driving of the toyota engines which were continually thrashed without any failures (i’d just informed him of my engine stripdown ).

I presume this had been done in all weathers. Obviously thoug the oil coolers are offered for a reason…

Tim.