# 297

A few pics with the new bits freshly painted and shiny, don’t see the motorsport spoiler staying that way for long.

Will have roof scoop moulded in at the year end respray, think it might look better. Car has evolved into very much a track car as engine mounts, lack of air con - and fan at this point - and gearbox make it a difficult car to live with on the road, however we had reached the limit of standard suspension etc, in the last car and intended for this to be a track only car so i am happy to live with the vibrations every now and then on the road.

Pictures here : JASONR

Your brake scoops are still closed!

Jason

Looks

cn i ask a couple of questions ??

whats that rear toe-eye connected too?

what have you used as a surround for the cooling cut-outs in the number plate recess? looks tidy…

Uldis , I have not had to many problems in the 8 lap races so far with brake heat, but am going to open them next time the front clam is off anyway.

Rear tow eye is connected to aluminium support bracket which ends in the middle of the number plate housing, i have Geary’s tow eyes which go under the diffusuer and will be much stronger that one is just in case the diffuser is buried.

The rear cut outs are brake cooling ducts from the local make your hatchback faster store, i thought they were a bit bling for my liking, but they work very well and i was able to use the number plate holder holes to get them spaced evenly.

…i was able to use the number plate holder holes to get them spaced evenly.

I did exactly the same thing with a pipe cutter but then just cleaned up the edges. Cooling wise it’s a very effective mod and I just attached my plate back on with Velco.

Ian

Well, I thought being in a warmer climate you would have brake problems sooner, but if you’re not, no real need to do it.

OTOH, I would be very weary of pulling the car from that trear towing eye unless the alloy bracket has been reinforced somehow. The forces while pulling a car from the gravel are tremendous, and I wouldn’t be surprised the towing eye just rips off with a piece of bracket and clam from there

Mine has been pulled once from the front towing eye and while the structure was ok and nothing bent, the ring itself in the towing eye bent in a very elongated way
Not round anymore, oval and slightly pointy now (and it’ll stay like that)

Rear tow eye is connected to aluminium support bracket which ends in the middle of the number plate housing, i have Geary’s tow eyes which go under the diffusuer and will be much stronger that one is just in case the diffuser is buried.

Like Uldis says… would you actually want anyone to tow your car with that?.. it would rip out surely

otoh… how are the ones beneath the diffuser attached??

I need a rear toe eye to comply with the racing regs, so I have had a good look at most of the race cars that I have seen, to find the easiest way…

On the Exige there is a rear sub frame cross member with holes in it, nearly large enough to get your hand through, and most seem to attach to that…

One car had just looped a length of seat belt material through one of the holes and had it sticking out the back - simple, effective and light !!

The tow eyes under diffuser attach to the two large bolts which bolt onto the chassis to hold the diffuser in place. The tow eye in the number plate holder would not be very strong, however if stuck in the gravel trap they could use the bottom tow eye to yank car out and then the other would just be for a tow back to the pits. I use a towing eye from a saloon car drilled and tapped to screw into the front towing eye so it is much stronger than std eye.

The towing eye’s have to be there as you say for racing regs, so i figured i would leave the eye in the number plate holder for the unforseen event that the diffuser is buried in the sand and helpful marshall’s decide that the wing supports would be a good place to tow from.

Alternatively you dould attach it to the longeron with a slice through the clam wbove fog light.

cheers Jason

car
i cant wait