To SC or not to SC!

Hi guys…

Seriously considering whacking in the old SC into my K20a S1 Exige…

Since its hard to get a longish test of an SC honda exige are there any of you out there with the upgrade that can advise as to the dif between SC and non SC in terms of pace, in car temps, noise in and out, day to day, and most importantly throttle response… I love the razor sharp response i have at the mo and don�t want to lose that! the car is ready to take the SC as a bolt on as the breaks, clutch and cooling have all been suitably upgraded.

Many thanks in advance.

Have a search on SELOC as there have been a few who have wished they stayed n/a due to issues they have had

heres a good starting place
http://forums.seloc.org/viewthread.php?tid=118613

cheers

so no guys with the SC on here want to comment???

What due expect to hear ?

I spent an extra 3500 quid and its only a bit quicker but something breaks every day ?

My experience … so far

1. The engine feels like a 3.0 V6 and pulls clean from rest to 8800 with no pause for breath - the power curve confirms that

2. The map and fuelling system makes or breaks the driveability

3. You generate a LOT more heat and you have to control that

4. The extra torque WILL cause relaibility issue in the drivetrain and engine mounts

Is it worth it ?

Depends on your viewpoint - if you want an easy 200 HP and relative relaibility I would so no - if you have been bored with 200 HP and want more and dont care about higher mainatance bills then yes …

I would also add that I think its harder to drive the thing with the blower, its definate got a “heavier” feeling and you need to change gear much more often until you learn that a higher gear is often better.

I spent an extra 3500 quid and its only a bit quicker but something breaks every day ?

My experience … so far

1. The engine feels like a 3.0 V6 and pulls clean from rest to 8800 with no pause for breath - the power curve confirms that

4. The extra torque WILL cause relaibility issue in the drivetrain and engine mounts

Is it worth it ?

Depends on your viewpoint - if you want an easy 200 HP and relative relaibility I would so no - if you have been bored with 200 HP and want more and dont care about higher mainatance bills then yes …

I would also add that I think its harder to drive the thing with the blower, its definate got a “heavier” feeling and you need to change gear much more often until you learn that a higher gear is often better.

thanks… who did yr convo?

My experience … so far

Is it worth it ?

thanks… who did yr convo?

Me !

I am just about to get my exige, an S1, then will do an engine swap, still a bit undecided whether to go for 1.8t or K20 power, if i go honda it will definately be with a rotrex charger though!

What options to keep it NA are they, i used to have an S2000 which i got to 251bhp but it wasn’t cheap
cams, ITB’s what else to get to 250+on thr K20?!

cheers

I have had my car for almost a year … and used it for about a full month. All in all have done 2000 miles with the car, 800 of it being driving down from UK to south of France !!! Rest of the time at the mechanic, huge bills, still not working.
Had t change the gearbox, had to change drive shafts, engine mounts are bad, car shaking from all over the place, and so on…
Desperate and f…ing angry at the car, and the installer.
Full point

Hmm. Interesting stuff.

I have a charged conversion. So far (4kmiles on the conversion) the car is performing faultlessly. Very limited vibrations IMO. Actually feels like Nick Ledgers 240R, but with a load more revs.

I havent tracked the car as yet; but this weekend will see that fault eradicated.

FWIW I know two charged owners whos charged experiences have been good. Only issues seem to be cracking the inlet manifold. The RSX manifold seems to cure this issue (apparently casting inperfections) whilst also giving a handy boost in power

Oh, and if you have a lead right foot it DRINKS fuel! lol

who installed it ?

I have had my car for almost a year … and used it for about a full month. All in all have done 2000 miles with the car, 800 of it being driving down from UK to south of France !!! Rest of the time at the mechanic, huge bills, still not working.
Had t change the gearbox, had to change drive shafts, engine mounts are bad, car shaking from all over the place, and so on…
Full point

Now that�s worrying me, i was going to book mine in soon

Full point

Is this a 340R or an exige - who did the conversion or is it Riccardos black exige?

Do a user name search you will find it

Is this a 340R or an exige - who did the conversion or is it Riccardos black exige?

An S1 Exige.
Not Ricardo’s black lemon (that is sitting at a friend’s place) from Mc carthy or who ever…

The conversion is number 008 from MSC. Andy is a nice guy but helpless for me as I live so far. And everytime i phone it is uselee. When I send parts it takes at least two months and 10 phone calls and 10s of emails before I can hope to see them back.
I am in the process of having driveshafts specially built for the car from a company that does only transmissions, as well as all other parts I am changing. Another problem is engine alignment that is no good.
The gearbox has been open before i bought the car, nobody told me. Problem: the car started shaking from the back when decelerating, real shaking. The LH and RH driveshafts had been inverted (they are not the same lenght, just few millimeters difference) previously. The gearbox has been previously open and a small joint after the diff has been withdrawn (advertently or on purpose I don’t know). Result : the diff has started to “eat” both “casing”. Had to buy a new gearbox as cases were not available from Honda and almost same price (taking account of hourly rate).
I am not good at mechanic at all, but my mechanic is. He says the car is a nightmare…
This is the usual view I have of the car (sorry for bad quality)
[image]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/3874/734g0019st6.jpg[/image]

I am really angry at the car, although the very few times it did work it was a weapon on track and I simply loved it.

If it was done by MSC then surely it’s a Link-Up conversion ?..Shouldn’t all this work have been covered under the years warranty ?

Dave, I have hoped so.
But the previous owner had the N/A Honda installed in sept 05 (MSC), I bought the car beg august 06 (I had the SC installed by MSC at the time of buying) and my problems started end of sept 06. So, out of warranty (only the SC was warranteed at the time).

Damn…strange that the problems weren’t seen when it was NA ?

Dave, I have hoped so.
But the previous owner had the N/A Honda installed in sept 05 (MSC), I bought the car beg august 06 (I had the SC installed by MSC at the time of buying) and my problems started end of sept 06. So, out of warranty (only the SC was warranteed at the time).

yeah but max… u get to live in the south of france u lucky bugger

Dave, I have hoped so.

Had MSC been responsible for maintaining it exclusively from when the Honda was first put in? I could see a case for them not being sympathetic if someone else had “modded” their conversion in the manner you describe, but if the work was theirs then I would have thought they they would be helpful.